Barco DP4K-32B with smallest lamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
    Only other thing to note I can think of is that while the lamphouses were originally shipped with a full set of adapters, I have found at many sites that the ones that weren't needed at the initial install tended to get lost or tossed. So if, for example, a projector, with its lamphouse, is to be moved from a screen that needed a 4kW lamp to one that only needs a 2, you can find yourself needing to obtain a replacement adapter. This has bitten me in the rear once or twice.
    I brought a spare set - which took a month to arrive, for lots of coins. Should you find yourself in the need of one, would be happy to offer them up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Macaulay View Post

Haven't heard of an aperture available but never really searched for one. We have defocussed lamps for less light but colour changes somewhat, and you only want to defocus "out" or risk damaging the light pipe surface. And anyone can crank that knob. An ND filter works well but dark ones can get hot and even shatter.
      A 19B lamphouse should fit no problem. I doubt that a C lamphouse will, but have not tried. Not sure if installing a smaller lamphouse will mean the lamp list changes to include lower power lamps though - does the software installer program see the lamphouse type and use its lamp list, or see a 32B and use its lamp list?
      Thought about defocus / Z Axis but the calibration experts advised against this due to Uniformity issues that may arise. The lamp list does give me the lamp I want. Thanks for the help.

Just concerned about the blunt answer I got from my service partner with no solutions - below if you want to read

response "It looks as this is the wrong choice to use a DP4K-32B if you only need a 1.2 kW lamp.
      There are 3 Lamp Power Supplies that are delivering 2500 Watt each so this means that one LPS can already deliver the double of the needed power.
      This will never work, these LPS will be used in a very unstable condition which lamp flickering as a result.
      And this is for sure not what a studio will like to see.

The DP4K-32B is also by software limited to use a lamp lower than 3 kW.

Barco doesn't sell aperture plates so you will need to look for an external supplier.

Conclusion is that this projector is not suitable for this set-up."

Comment

You've been given incorrect advice. The DPxK-32B does not limit the lamp range to 3KW. It even will drive an 850W lamp and I have a site, as mentioned, that is driving a 2KW lamp, without issue an stable.

Here is a screen shot for a DP2K-32B (same lamp/power capabilities):

Capture.JPG

There are the Ushio and Osram 1.2KW lamps clearly listed as available choices.

I have not, personally driven a 32B down to 1.2KW (just 19B and 23B down that low and lower).

The "P" versions of the DP2K and DP4K projectors have a "Catseye" (iris) in their light path. As is Barco's custom, they don't break down the parts on the light engines with much granularity. So, it isn't an option for other projectors. I do note that there is a place to plug it in on the signal backplane so I have no idea what they are doing with it there unless it is a multipurpose connector that handles things like heat as well as presence.

Comment

Originally posted by Peer Tritz View Post

Thought about defocus / Z Axis but the calibration experts advised against this due to Uniformity issues that may arise. The lamp list does give me the lamp I want. Thanks for the help.

Just concerned about the blunt answer I got from my service partner with no solutions - below if you want to read

response "It looks as this is the wrong choice to use a DP4K-32B if you only need a 1.2 kW lamp.
          There are 3 Lamp Power Supplies that are delivering 2500 Watt each so this means that one LPS can already deliver the double of the needed power.
          This will never work, these LPS will be used in a very unstable condition which lamp flickering as a result.
          And this is for sure not what a studio will like to see.

The DP4K-32B is also by software limited to use a lamp lower than 3 kW.

Barco doesn't sell aperture plates so you will need to look for an external supplier.

Conclusion is that this projector is not suitable for this set-up."
          We're running a 23B with a 1200W Ushio lamp... We've never have had *any* lamp stability issues. Whoever wrote that story certainly doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

Yeah, cost wise, if we're talking about a new machine, it would be stupid to go for a 32B if you only need 1200W of lamp power, but since you got one anyway, I don't see the issue.

But hey, believe whoever you want...

Comment

Another thing you can do to cut down on the light, if you haven't done it already, get the high-contrast version of the lens you have. Improves the picture and cuts down on the light...win-win.

Comment

Working...
            X