CPL resolution codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPL resolution codes

We have a 4K restoration DCP of "Dona Flor And Her Two Husbands". The CPL has "FM" where the resolution code would be. After ingesting on the GDC server, it reads as 1998X1080 in the playback window. Does the server "know" what the resolution is after ingesting or does it ONLY go by the codes in the CPL? Could this still be a 4K resolution? Did it default to 1998X1080 because "FM' is invalid??

The servers couldn't care less what the DCI name is. They don't base anything on that name. They look in the CPL/PKL files for how to run the movie and in there, the video and audio (and caption) particulars are defined, including frame rate. I believe they also use the MXF file itself to determine things as well but the CPL is what puts the thing together as the same vid files could be used for both 5.1 and 7.1 versions, for example. That DCI name is just for you.

Comment

Thanks Steve. That's what I was hoping you would say. Basically the server does know then.

Comment

Just to play 'devil's advocate' for a minute, how do YOU know it's supposed to be 4K?

I've had numerous occasions where tech info I've received about resolutions or aspect ratios from film makers,
        festival organizers, and even some distributors, that has turned out to be flat out wrong. Granted this usually
        doesn't happen with major clients, but my experiences has taught me never to take at face value anything
        anyone tells me about what I'm going to be handling until I actually inspect and/or test it myself.

I'm working a festival this weekend where several of the films that film-makers and organizers swore
        were going to be DCP's, turned out to be Pro-Res or MP4 files.- - and two titles that I was also told were
        un-encrypted that turn out to need KDM's , one of which I'm still trying to track down. (and a pre-show
        "sponsor loop" that they all swore up & down that I'd get 3 days ago & is still nowhere to be found)

I'm not trying to be difficult, or be a wise-ass, but, as I said, from my experiences, my trust for getting
        accurate info from film makers and festival organizers is only slightly a notch above the misinformation
        I expect to get from most used car salesmen, or anyone running for political office.

Comment

I totally agree Jim. Fair question. We run a lot of 4K restorations here. This was supposed to be one of them. It's from "Film Movement" which I found out is the "FM" on the resolution code on the CPL. It's been advertised for a while now and the case it came in says "4K restoration". This is why I wanted to make sure about the server reading it for what is actually is. Now I can go back to them and say WTF!!!

Comment

Well, I guess you can still create a 2k DCP from a 4k restoration. Why, is different question.

- Carsten

Comment

Working...
            X