DCP-O-Matic with L-R audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCP-O-Matic with L-R audio

I'm converting a video to DCP for a private show, but it only has Left and Right audio (no center, no surround). Should I just leave it that way for the DCP or should I mix the channels into the center too? I plan to leave the surrounds out of it, of course.

https://dcpomatic.com/forum/viewtopi...c02dd2bb588ea1

Depends a bit on the character of the audio. Most people on a private show will probably have no problem with plain stereo at all. Where will the crowd sit? Usually in the back rows of the auditorium, so the L/R-C balance is not such an issue.

Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 05-15-2021, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I'd use DOM's up-mixer. It may not be the greatest but 2-channel in cinemas really sounds bad, in my opinion. The speakers are way too far apart to have a convincing phantom center unless you are pretty far away.

Comment

Use an up-mixer to give a generate a C track. Stereo phantom imagining falls apart in far field auditoriums for a few reasons.
        #1 as the L/R spread extends beyond +/- 30degree it loses its effect.
        #2 for all the seats that are off axis of the centerline phantom imagining will not really be effective
        #3 Even if you're on the centerline in the reference position (best case scenario) there's still a thing called stereo crosstalk coloration which results in a big dip in the dialogue region-> poor intelligibility.

image.jpg
        stereo crosstalk.png
        Attached Files

Comment

The JSD-60 input mixer can be configured to generate center (L+R) and surrounds (L-R). This is the default configuration for nonsync. It could be copied over to another format.

Comment

Further, it appears DCPoMatic will do the upmix for you. See https://dcpomatic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=808 .

Comment

Working...
            X