Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NATO, AMC, Cinemark, Regal, and others Sue New Jersey over Covid Theater Closures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post
    I suspect that the big movies won't be released until Los Angeles theatres are allowed to re-open. So we could be in for a long wait.
    I expect you're right Frank. Which is a tad frustrating. In the absence of new product, old product is being recycled. Rocky Horror Picture Show was on the break last week

Comment

For those that are interested, I've collected all the court documents on this case at https://mai.hallikainen.org/cv/NATOvNJ/ . The table is hand edited, so PLEASE let me know of errors so I can fix them.

Thanks!

Harold

Comment

When the suit was filed theaters were open except 5 states NY,NJ,NM.MD,CA & DC. In order to get more new releases studios wanted 90% of theaters open, NY & CA the main ones, it was the fist move to get
        more theaters open to get new product

Comment

The hearing transcript on this case was just released and is now at the bottom of the page at http://hallikainen.org/cv/NATOvNJ/ . The final disposition of this case was the court denied to issue a temporary restraining order on the executive order closing movie theaters. The state then allowed movie theaters to open with restrictions. The plaintiffs and defendants then requested and were granted dismissal without prejudice "to any party’s right to make a letter request to restore this matter to the active docket at an appropriate time."

Comment

The restraining order was denied right away, when the case was heard it took several weeks to reach a decision, which was pandemic takes president over the 1st amendment issue that the suit was based
            on. The state allowing the theaters to open along with in door dining was done in September to the surprise of theater owners. It was announced on Monday that theaters & in door dining can start Friday.

Comment

Working...
            X