Killers of the Flower Moon, suggested intermission time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by William Kucharski View Post
    Studios would bend over backwards to work with Nolan or Scorsese.
    That's why Scorcese ended up at Netflix for the Irishman and Nolan switched studios I suppose?

Simply put, if you are a film fan, you will do what you need to in order to preserve the film maker's artistic vision to the degree practicable.
    Emphasis mine.

I guess the discrepancy here is in what you and I consider practicable.

I did the same when watching The Irishman at home with its 209 minute run time, but that's just me.
    Again, emphasis mine.

I hope you understand that the way you seem to enjoy movies is probably different from "the norm". While movie theaters have a duty to present a film the way it is supposed to be shown, they also have a financial duty to themselves, so that means they need to please the paying customer. Without them, no movie theaters.

Still, you seem to accept intermissions if the director intended them. One of the discussions here is to persuade directors to insert more "official" intermissions into their work. I have the feeling that there are quite some directors that don't have a problem with intermissions, but they simply don't put any in them, because the studio does not want them to be in there in the first place. They still think that those extra few minutes could make the difference between one extra show that day or not, meanwhile average movie runtimes keep on ballooning...

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
      That's why Scorcese ended up at Netflix for the Irishman and Nolan switched studios I suppose?
      Actually, yes - you go to whomever will give you the most freedom and the budget you request.

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
      ​I hope you understand that the way you seem to enjoy movies is probably different from "the norm". While movie theaters have a duty to present a film the way it is supposed to be shown, they also have a financial duty to themselves, so that means they need to please the paying customer. Without them, no movie theaters.
      Without product, also no movie theaters.

That's why I'm glad the studio came down hard on those doing this.

Now if the director wants an intermission in their film, more power to them and I salute them; Tarentino did just this as part of his roadshow screenings of The Hateful Eight.

Cameron and Scorsese both have said they didn't want an intermission in their films, and at only three hours it really wasn't a necessity for Oppenheimer at all. not that there wasn't an obvious place for one to go (when the screen fades to black after the successful Trinity test and Kitty gets the phone call to "take in the sheets.")

Comment

Actually, yes - you go to whomever will give you the most freedom and the budget you request.
        Let's be real here. Scorsese really struggled to find a studio for the Irishman, it's not like Netflix was his first choice, it was more like a last resort, screw you Hollywood kind-of-action. Netflix isn't especially known for their theatrical treatment of their releases... It's also Scorsese who famously complained about the fact that movies like those Marvel was churning out was killing cinema as we knew it.

Without product, also no movie theaters.
        I doubt studios are going to stop making movies because theaters insist in adding intermissions. Big parts of the world have been inserting intermissions into Hollywood movies for decades past and it never stopped Hollywood from making movies and releasing them there.

Cameron and Scorsese both have said they didn't want an intermission in their films, and at only three hours it really wasn't a necessity for Oppenheimer at all. not that there wasn't an obvious place for one to go (when the screen fades to black after the successful Trinity test and Kitty gets the phone call to "take in the sheets.")
        I have heard them defend the long runtime of their movies, which again, I think, is fine, but I don't remember any of them explicitly state they don't like intermissions. Two completely different things. There even was an unconfirmed rumour on Reddit that James Cameron DID want an intermission in Avatar 2, but that AMC begged him to take it out, because their locations were dramatically understaffed... but again, just rumours.

Comment

Working...
        X