Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KOTFM_NoIntermission.jpg
    < TEXT OF STORY>
    Martin Scorsese did not include an intermission in his 206-minute epic, "Killers Of The Flower Moon" But
    that hasn’t stopped a handful of movie theaters around the world from inserting one themselves, with
    intervals ranging from between six minutes and 15 minutes.

As of Friday morning, two European cinema chains and one independent theater in Amsterdam sold tickets to
    screenings of “Killers of the Flower Moon” with a built-in break. A spokesperson for UCI Cinemas, an exhibition
    chain with venues in Germany, Italy, Portugal and Brazil, confirmed that all of its nearly 80 theaters — with the
    exception of Imax™ screens in Porta di Roma, Orio, and Campi Bisenzio — had included a “six-minute interval
    towards the middle of the film.”

The Vue, a U.K.-based theater chain, and an Amsterdam cinema called The Movies Haarlemmerdijk also were
    offering showings with a break, according to their websites.

Domestically, The Lyric, a theater in Fort Collins, Colo., showed the historical drama with an intermission until
    Oct. 26. However, they did away with the intermission after getting in trouble with Paramount the film’s distributor,
    and Apple Original Films, its producer. The companies have been contacting theaters that have violated their
    contract by splitting up the film and telling them to show “Killers of the Flower Moon” as intended, according
    to an individual with knowledge of the situation.

To be clear, only a smattering of venues out of the roughly 10,000 globally that are screening “Killers of the
    Flower Moon” have included an intermission, but it hasn’t gone unnoticed. Thelma Schoonmaker, the editor
    of the film and longtime collaborator with Scorsese, told The Standard, “I understand that somebody’s running
    it with an intermission which is not right. That’s a violation so I have to find out about it.”

While Scorsese has not directly addressed the intermission (or lack thereof), he defended the long runtime of
    “Killers of the Flower Moon” in an interview with the Hindustan Times, saying, “People say it’s three hours,
    but come on, you can sit in front of the TV and watch something for five hours.”

Other analysts agree with Scorsese’s position. “If Scorsese didn’t intend for there to be an intermission, I think
    that should be at least the primary way people can see it,” says Shawn Robbins, chief analyst at Boxoffice Pro.
    “That being said, it was a long movie. And I think if there is enough demand out there, and especially if it means
    a difference in helping someone make the decision to go and buy a ticket, rather than not go see the movie,
    then maybe there’s an economical and practical argument for at least a limited option.”

Original Story Link ☞ https://tinyurl.com/5cr6fnkb

> My 2¢ opinion is that I basically agree that the film should be shown as the director and editor
    intended. . . however, theaters ought to be able to do one show a day or perhaps one during the
    week, with an intermission for patrons who would feel more comfortable having one. The venue
    I work for has a "sensory" showing of each movie once a week where the sound is played at a
    lower level, and the houselights are left partly up. Another theater I worked at did something
    similar where once a month they had a "baby-mama's" showing of a current popular movie,
    where they did the same thing ~ lights set a bit more than ½-way up, & reduced sound volume.
    In-auditorium breast feeding was allowed, and a local merchant of infant accessories, baby
    clothes, and other infantile supplies handed out towels, wet naps, pacifiers and other 'stuff
    to people with infants. They even supplied free disposable diapers for those wbo needed them.
    (For the kids- not the adults!- - but I suppose some older folks might need them during a 3hr flick)

Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 10-27-2023, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cassedy View Post
      Thelma Schoonmaker, the editor
      of the film and longtime collaborator with Scorsese, told The Standard, “I understand that somebody’s running
      it with an intermission which is not right. That’s a violation so I have to find out about it.”
      It's exactly this level of arrogance, hubris and disconnection with reality that got Hollywood to where it is now: A failing, over-woke, disconnected, reality-distorting pile of dogshite. My message to Schoonmaker & company: Just continue on your path to self-proclaimed righteousness: You truely are above all others, as a matter of fact, we're not worthy to consume your holy product, so we'll politely stay away from it in the future. Amen.

Originally posted by Jim Cassedy View Post
      While Scorsese has not directly addressed the intermission (or lack thereof), he defended the long runtime of
      “Killers of the Flower Moon” in an interview with the Hindustan Times, saying, “People say it’s three hours,
      but come on, you can sit in front of the TV and watch something for five hours.”​
      Most sane people don't sit five hours in front of their television without at least taking one break. Also, once this movie hits Apple+, people can pause/rewind/stop/continue the movie anyway they like...
      Last edited by Marcel Birgelen; 10-28-2023, 01:11 AM. Reason: Fingers not correctly alligned with keyboard... you know when you switch over from one notebook to the other and how the keys end up all miss-aligned?

Comment

So there are not to be venues left where filmmakers can have their movies shown as intended?

Sure people can watch how they like at home, but when theatres make changes on their own you might as well shut them all down.

Comment

Filmmakers aren't the ones who are showing the movie. If "as intended" means that the filmmaker wants to insure that almost everyone in their audience misses five or ten minutes of their movie then a 3.5 hour movie with no intermission is the way to do it. Otherwise, not.

Comment

Originally posted by William Kucharski View Post
            So there are not to be venues left where filmmakers can have their movies shown as intended?

Sure people can watch how they like at home, but when theatres make changes on their own you might as well shut them all down.
            So, if the moviemaker wants every patron to receive a personal spanking in that particular scene of the movie, the exhibitor better make sure he/she installs self-spanking seats for everybody?

I'm pretty sure that 99 percent or more of the moviegoers still go to the movies to have a great time, not because they like to be pestered by the moviemaker with their shenanigans. Maybe there still is a market for those masochists that insist to see a double feature of this movie and David Lynch's Inland Empire without a break, but I'm pretty sure it's limited...

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post

So, if the moviemaker wants every patron to receive a personal spanking in that particular scene of the movie, the exhibitor better make sure he/she installs self-spanking seats for everybody?
              it’s called 4DX

Comment

It's tricky in the MLA's we all signed when we first contracted with each studio to show their movies it it expressly put that we may not show the film in any "altered" way, there are other stipulations there as well.
                And things not in the MLA are often agreed to on a booking by booking basis that we at theaters never see but are agreed to by your film buyer.
                Insterting an intermission is definetly a no no and you could lose service for it. Now, on the other hand simply "pausing" the movie could be done "theoreticly" without being a technical violation, but to put it simply, we all know the film companies are horrible people. They are not on our side or interested in working with theaters on any level that does not directly benefit them financially. If you dont agree with that statement, then you are new to the industry. If you think the film comanies are your friends, you are in for a rude awakening. With that said, although it mught not be technical breach to simply pause it - they don't care. There is nothing anhywhere that says they need to give us content. They will take you off service and there is NO recourse. You can not sue, because again, they are under no obligation to service you. Its a very unfair industry - but we're in it and we have to accept it to a certain degree. Still can suck though !

Comment

Even if they had a ten or fifteen minute intermission, here at the near by American Multi Crap 12 location, you'd still miss some of the movie because the restrooms are tiny. For instance, the lobby restroom only has one Stall and Urinal. So there'd end up being lines at the restrooms. Hallway bathrooms are typically 2 stalls and 4 urinals. I'll probably wait for the Blu-Ray... if they bother with one.

Comment

I wish some of these directors would come to the realization that while many people CAN go more than 3 hours without a bathroom break, when the bladder is saying "I hope this movie ends soon because this is about to become a problem", it's a terrible distraction to the director's work on screen when a viewer is actively trying to "hold it". That type of distraction is right up there with screaming babies and cell phones.

Also if the movie is truly great, why would a 10 or 15 minute break for an intermission be a problem? All the big roadshow type epics of decades past always had an intermission and that in no way hurt those movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Miller View Post
                      I wish some of these directors would come to the realization that while many people CAN go more than 3 hours without a bathroom break, when the bladder is saying "I hope this movie ends soon because this is about to become a problem", it's a terrible distraction to the director's work on screen when a viewer is actively trying to "hold it". That type of distraction is right up there with screaming babies and cell phones.

Also if the movie is truly great, why would a 10 or 15 minute break for an intermission be a problem? All the big roadshow type epics of decades past always had an intermission and that in no way hurt those movies.
                      Because it interrupts the narrative.

An intermission would have been horrible in Oppenheimer, Schindler's List or Titanic - for any of them it would have felt like a commercial break, even if you think you know where one could have been inserted without issue.

Old roadshow presentations were designed from the start for an intermission so they were crafted specifically for that, as were modern presentations like the roadshow version of The Hateful 8.

Comment

Yes. That's their job.

​I'm pretty sure that 99 percent or more of the moviegoers still go to the movies to have a great time, not because they like to be pestered by the moviemaker with their shenanigans. Maybe there still is a market for those masochists that insist to see a double feature of this movie and David Lynch's Inland Empire without a break, but I'm pretty sure it's limited...
                        Then they can watch it at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post
                          Filmmakers aren't the ones who are showing the movie. If "as intended" means that the filmmaker wants to insure that almost everyone in their audience misses five or ten minutes of their movie then a 3.5 hour movie with no intermission is the way to do it. Otherwise, not.
                          Are we all little children, incapable of dealing with our own bodies?

Personally, I never had a problem "holding it" during say Schindler's List (run time: 3h 15m) and Oppenheimer's run time seemed short to me (each of the eight times I saw it theatrically.)

You can go before and not drink anything during the film, or make other adjustments.

I get it, I am a rarity in wanting the film presented as the director intended, period, end of story, and others are willing to do whatever they need to to keep the audience happy.

That's rather why I am happy with Paramount for enforcing the MLAs for this title.

I realize that the time is fast approaching the only way to see a movie anything remotely like the way the director intends is at home except for the few directors that have the clout to enforce their will like Nolan and Scorsese.

I wonder if there were just as many complaints when Hitchcock decreed that audiences only be seated for Psycho between showings.
                          Last edited by William Kucharski; 10-31-2023, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I think we should be trying to provide the customers with what they want, which includes trying to make them comfortable.

Remember, this is a movie for an older crowd. I had several people ask me if there was going to be an intermission. When I told them no, the reaction was... not positive.

Comment

If you don’t want to read any spoilers before seeing this movie then I can just say that I found the movie to be shallow and unnecessarily long. These characters were real-life people. I can’t write a proper movie review without getting into the characters and their actions so there will be spoilers ahead. You’ve been warned.

First off, more is not better. There was no point in this movie being over three hours long (3h 18min), not including the end credits. That being said, the film didn’t drag too much, and the drama picks up closer to the end, which propels the story forward.
                              Continues at: https://runpee.com/movie-review-kill...e-flower-moon/

If you don't like the idea of advising your patrons to install 'runpee' on their phone, then post the best times to take a break.

Comment

Personally, I never had a problem "holding it" during say Schindler's List (run time: 3h 15m) and Oppenheimer's run time seemed short to me (each of the eight times I saw it theatrically.)
                                Personally, I think this is borderline discriminative and also my legal point of defense against this "directorial hubris". Every public theater of a certain size needs to facilitate people with certain disabilities. The implementation: intermissions.

You can go before and not drink anything during the film, or make other adjustments.
                                Yeah, let's make going to the movies a mission. Don't eat and drink for 5 days, make sure you're absolutely sober. I guess that will get more people through the door.

I get it, I am a rarity in wanting the film presented as the director intended, period, end of story, and others are willing to do whatever they need to to keep the audience happy.
                                So, for whom are those moviemakers and studios making those movies? To please the audience or to stroke the ego of the director? What do you think, will bring in the most money?

That's rather why I am happy with Paramount for enforcing the MLAs for this title.

I realize that the time is fast approaching the only way to see a movie anything remotely like the way the director intends is at home except for the few directors that have the clout to enforce their will like Nolan and Scorsese.
                                Did you ever think about starting some kind of a movie club that shows movies exactly the way you like it? I'd call it something like Tripple-M: The Masochistic Movie Mongers.
                                As first movie I'd recommend "Paint Drying", at 10 hours and 7 minutes, without intermission off course.
                                Last edited by Marcel Birgelen; 11-01-2023, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X