Random videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Knowing that a grand piano weights in about half a metric ton, that's a pretty daring operation... you don't want to get stuck between a floor and a grand piano...

Comment

The organ console likely weighs about the same. Presumably the piano was positioned where it was because that is the acoustic sweet spot on the stage. But unless there were architectural restraints (e.g. limitations on where conduits for control cables can be run) it was a blunder to put the retractable console in the same place. Organists are very used to not being able to hear themselves play as the audience would, due to delays, the swell or choir ranks being enclosed, but the great not, etc. etc.; so having the console on the side of the stage should not have been problematic. You would have thought that a venue with a retractable console on the stage like that would either have a cast iron rule that nothing goes on top of it, or a rigid protocol for when it does (e.g. two switches must be operated to raise it, both far enough apart that two people are needed, with both verifying that top of the retracted console is clear before proceeding).

Comment

Yeah, there are quite some oddities concerning the raising-table's control interface. The least of the security features you could expect, which is also the most low-tech of them all, is that you need to keep pressing the button to keep the thing moving.

Comment

The Eagles - Hotel California - Reimagined on the Traditional Chinese Guzheng

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
              Knowing that a grand piano weights in about half a metric ton, that's a pretty daring operation...
              Nah, the guy just wanted to play an upright piano!

Just hope he didn't damage the piano too badly. A basic black Steinway-D will cost at least $125K to replace, these days. Apparently, from what I was able to translate from the comments page, this was supposed to be some kind of historic piano. The damage is probably repairable but it won't be cheap!

I find that organ lift a bit odd, too. Every motorized lift, hoist or similar stage equipment that I've ever used required the operator to keep the control button depressed. Some of them even had a second button for a deadman switch.

I think it's dangerous to have a lift like that which can't be stopped at a moment's notice and reversed if necessary. Even in a concert hall, as opposed to a legitimate stage, it would be easy for a person to get a hand or foot stuck in the mechanism, accidentally. Some of the concerts I worked, a lot of people walked around with their heads in the clouds, not paying attention to things going on around them. (Hey, they are musicians, they've got other things to think about.)

Regardless, when you're working on a stage, operating any kind of equipment, motorized or otherwise, it's the operator's duty to always look to be sure the area is safe before pressing any button, pulling any lever or hauling on any rope!
              Last edited by Randy Stankey; 04-23-2023, 03:33 PM.

Comment

the most moving piano piece you will ever hear

Comment

Inside Canada's first dementia village

Comment

Kitties!

Newly arrived at a zoo near me...

One of them even slow blinks at the camera operator, suggesting that they're pretty much domesticated and not likely to last long in the wild. Glad they're safe.
                    Last edited by Leo Enticknap; 07-25-2023, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I'm bowled over at how eloquent and incisive the commentary is...

Still, an impressive display of the laws of physics: that train was so heavy and had so much stored kinetic energy in it that it was barely (if at all) slowed by the initial collision with the turbine blade.

Comment

https://youtu.be/6vib77CUxNM

Comment

Soda box art turns heads at B.C. grocery store

Comment

Tesla in Sweden and Finland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG9Izqp6WWU

Comment

I saw this (or something very much like it, at least) for the first time on a delivery truck today. I thought it was so cool I had to look up how it works.

Comment

I first saw those in the Western States about ten years ago. Mostly on similar trucks as in your video, but also on larger construction vehicles... The weather can be very flakey at certain altitudes and ice can develop at a fast rate. I never talked to anyone that has driven with them, but it is sure seems like a good safety addition...

Comment

Working...
                                X