Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's predict: Will the new Naked Gun reboot be a hit or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the 1982 version of The Thing more than the original. But I was a teenage kid when the 1982 version was released, so the re-make seems more at home with Generation-X aged people.

One reason I think they didn't really show the monster in the original film was they didn't have any feasible way (or production budget) at the time to make the monster real for the cameras. By the 1980's there were ground-breaking leaps in practical special effects makeup technology. The crew of "The Thing" sported legends in that craft like Stan Winston and Rob Bottin. The visuals in that movie were unforgettable. There was the sled dogs sequence (that was shown in some previews). That was horror inspiring on its own. One of the best moments is a human head falling off an infected body and then sprouting spider legs. One of the crew guys sees it trying to sneak away, "you gotta be fucking kidding."

Comment

Superman: The Movie is an obvious exception.​
      It isn't really an exception though, because that movie is just called "Superman." The only place they added "The movie" was in the marketing.

I'm talking about movies where the word Movie is just burned into the film along with the rest of the crap. You know, like "A Goofy Movie" and "The Lego Batman Movie."

The only one I can think of that was remotely approaching good was "Twilight Zone: The Movie" and it was not very good. But at least it wasn't (as our old booker used to say) a waste of film.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Gordon View Post

That worked because it was so subtle, that adults would get it, but it was not offensive.

I'm pretty sure that it would create some kind of fake outrage nowadays though. If it wasn't from some random feminist outpost, then probably from the likes of PETA or similar...

Comment

Working...
        X