Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's predict: Will the new Naked Gun reboot be a hit or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's predict: Will the new Naked Gun reboot be a hit or not?

From Variety:

A long-gestating reboot of the “Naked Gun” franchise with Liam Neeson is finally moving forward at Paramount, landing a release date of July 18, 2025.

The currently untitled project will be directed and executive produced by Akiva Schaffer, who co-wrote the draft script alongside Dan Gregor and Doug Mand, reprising their partnership from the Emmy-winning film “Chip ‘N Dale: Rescue Rangers.” Seth MacFarlane and Erica Huggins are producing via their company Fuzzy Door. The new movie is based off the widely popular “Naked Gun” franchise and television series “Police Squad!” by Jim Abrahams, David Zucker and Jerry Zucker.
    I'm cautiously optimistic, because Liam Neeson is such a serious actor (as were virtually all of the folks in the original Naked Gun movies) so it just.....might..... work. After all, as we all know, he has a special set of skills.

What do you all think? Predict now, and we'll check the results after July 2025.

Variety link:
    https://variety.com/2024/film/news/n...4126d6de3de07b

Maybe the Naked Gun franchise is now sufficiently dated to do a reboot, but on the other hand... Hey, Hollywood, are you listening?! Yawn, yet another reboot. Is it really so hard to come up with something original, for once?!

Shall we predict if it will contain a cameo by O.J. Simpson? :P

Comment

Or the nice beaver?

Comment

I'm interested but I'll with the "wait and see" camp.

Sometimes, they do remakes well. Other times...so-so.

I remember remakes of TV shows like "Beverly Hillbillies" or "The Flintstones" that were done well. Jim Varney in the role of Jed Clampett or John Goodman as Fred Flinstone were good choices. They were both, pretty much, the definitive choices, IMO.

I just don't know how well Liam Neeson will play in Leslie Neilson's shadow. Neilson's white hair, bushy eyebrows and ability to play an absurd character with a totally straight face were his trademarks.

Neilson was a straight actor who found a second calling in comedy. Who knows? Maybe Neeson can do the same?

I dunno'... Wait and see...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
          I'm cautiously optimistic, because Liam Neeson is such a serious actor (as were virtually all of the folks in the original Naked Gun movies) so it just.....might..... work. After all, as we all know, he has a special set of skills.
          If his hilarious straight-faced performance in Life's Too Short is anything to go by, I'm sure he'll do a fine job...

Comment

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully they'll bring Shoeshine Johnny back, as well as all the guest stars that sat in the chair after the Drebin got up.... Of course, they'll have to find s new actor for that role too.

Comment

My expectations are not high. Airplane! ranks as one of the best comedies ever made. Anyone attempting a re-make not only has to fluently understand the inspiration of the original parody, but they also have to bring a lot of new things to the table. That's a very daunting challenge. Plus there is nothing funny or fun about air travel in the year 2024. It sucks.

With the Chinese market getting mostly shut off to American movie studios that might give me some hope for American-produced comedies. Movie studios and their media company parents have been so hell-bent on making their movies market-able globally. That has resulted in a lot of movies, comedies in particular, being bland and safe. It's a very rare thing Hollywood releases a risk-taking comedy such as Tropic Thunder.

The Zucker, Abrahams, Zucker ("ZAZ") writing and directing team caught lightning in a bottle with the original 1980 film. Over 40 years later the movie still holds up pretty well. I think one reason for this is the movie was very unique. The filmmakers insisted on casting a bunch of actors who had never done comedy before and told them to play their roles straight. The results were gut-busting funny. The guys knew what they wanted, so after auditioning a bunch of different voice actors for the parts of "Betty" and "Vernon" the ZAZ team hired the real life couple who recorded the announcement messages played in the LAX terminal. That had to be surreal for a lot of people hearing, "Listen, Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again."

The ZAZ team worked for years pitching Airplane! and only got to do it after working with John Landis on Kentucky Fried Movie. That movie was a labor of love for those guys. Still, they're sense of humor was so good they weren't afraid to make of various flaws in Airplane! when making a commentary track for the DVD.

Airplane 2: The Sequel, released 2 years later, just plain sucked. The ZAZ team wasn't involved with it. That should be a warning about re-makes.​
              Last edited by Bobby Henderson; 03-05-2024, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Generally speaking, my rule is to avoid (almost) all movies that have a number
                as the last word in the title. ("Gone WIth The WInd 2", for example) There are
                exceptions, of course, and I'm sure many of you will provide examples, but as
                a general rule, most re-makes or re-boots are lame imitations of the original.
                Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 03-06-2024, 09:16 AM. Reason: It's not an edit! Its 'version 2"

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post
                  Or the nice beaver?
                  That worked because it was so subtle, that adults would get it, but it was not offensive.

Comment

I can't think of any remake that was better than the original. The remake of The Pink Panther is a good example. The Steve Martin version just did not work.

dreadful
                    Kenny-548 February 2006
                    This is a very bad film is so many ways. Trite script, clumsy and plodding direction and Steve Martin embarrassed himself. I have no problem with remakes. The problem here is that the original Inspector Clouseau character was brilliant not because of overly outstanding writing or directing (though they were good). Peter Sellars created that character and made it his own. I do not think it is possible to remake a movie and capture the essence of that classic character. Martin simply tries to be Peter Sellars being Clousseau and it does not work. I guess I don't understand what is so funny about gags so obvious and cliché, you know they are coming a mile away, and to make things worse, the scenes continues for a painfully long time.

I was irritated the entire time I was in the theater, because this garbage will make a lot of money for people who exhibited no talent. Throw Beyonce in there no explicable reason other than to draw in more of the mindless who seem to think this drivel is funny. (In addition, I especially hate the turn-off-your-cell-phone trailer.)​
                    Source: IMDB

Comment

Generally speaking, my rule is to avoid (almost) all movies that have a number
                      as the last word in the title. ("Gone WIth The WInd 2", for example)​
                      I have a similar rule to avoid any movie with the word "Movie" in the title. If it's called "The (Whatever) Movie," it's almost guaranteed to suck.

Comment

Superman: The Movie is an obvious exception. Holy shit, those overbearing opening titles with that music from John Williams was just great and set the tone for the rest of the movie.

But, yeah, there have been plenty of other "title: the movie" examples that sucked.

Originally posted by Ed Gordon
                        I can't think of any remake that was better than the original.
                        I think David Cronenberg's 1986 re-make of The Fly was better than the original 1950's movie. The first time I watched that movie it put me through an emotional ringer. Geena Davis was outstanding in that movie. The ending of the movie is just heart-breaking. The scene where Jeff Goldblum's mutilated fly-guy puts the barrel of the shotgun Geena Davis is holding up to its head just fucking crushed me. Maybe the only criticism I have about that remake is that it just makes you feel terrible when you get to the end of it.

The 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers was also really good. And it had a clever tie-in to the 1956 original via a cameo from actor Kevin McCarthy. The 1956 film might still rank as culturally more important since many film critics saw it as a commentary on the tyranny of Joseph McCarthy's anti-communist witch hunt. The 1978 movie was made in a different era, but production values and filmmaking techniques in practical visual effects improved dramatically. That allowed the 1978 film to sport some very disturbing images, such as a bulldog with a human man's face.​

Comment

Of the three movies based on Richard Matheson's I Am Legend, the second attempt (Omega Man starring Charlton Heston) is the best.

The Vincent Price version is just too outdated now, and while the Will Smith version is pretty good it's not as good as the Charlton Heston movie.

And then there's John Carpenter's The Thing, second attempt after The Thing from Another World. They're both really good, actually.

Comment

"I can't think of any remake that was better than the original."

Great examples of remakes that were better than the originals. I will revise my broad statement to "In most cases, remakes are rarely better than the originals".

I still prefer the original The Thing to the Carpenter remake, which was very well done, but a bit too gory for my tastes. I prefer the original because they didn't show the monster. As they said in The Bad and the Beautiful:

image.png

Comment

"Why don't we just wait here a little while. See what happens."

One of the best movie endings ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X