Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dts xd-10 2.2.06 upgrade

Hello all

I am looking to upgrade an XD10 to the latest version. This website only holds the INSTALL version of 2.2.06 but not the upgrade version. Am I correct in looking for an UPGRADE version to avoid losing the content and all settings on my unit? It's been a long time and I do not remember anymore.

Thanks!

I've never seen or come across an upgrade ISO - just the clean install one.

If you're worried about something going wrong, might an idea be to remove the existing HDD and do a clean install using a new one? For one thing, if the unit still has its original drive, it'll be close to 15 years old. The XD-10 takes IDE drives, so you'd need a SATA to IDE adapter, unless you can find an actual new IDE drive. The last I looked, IDE SSDs were available, but were hellish expensive.

If the problem is that you don't have CDs or ISOs for the content already ingested, I'm not sure where you go from there. It might be possible to Clonezilla the existing drive and then extract the audio files from the copy, but I haven't ever had to try doing that.

Comment

What I recall doing when doing this for the AFI/Silver...that had three XD-10s was to use the network feature to transfer content between the servers. So, before the update, transfer the content from one XD-10 to the other...update one and then network transfer it back. What was really cool about the network transfers there was that all three XD10s kept each other updated with content so they effectively had three copies of everything. I also ended up using 1TB drives (with the adapters) so it is a bottomless pit of storage for DTS audio content (and CSS subtitles). On the latest software you can change the allocation to reduce the size reserved for video.

I remember it all being more painless than anticipated. I think I had to reinstall the CSS license keys though either that or something like making a backup on a thumb drive and then restoring from that backup...which sounds right for getting things configured again. It has been quite a while since we did it.

Comment

Leo - there must have been a way to upgrade without wiping all the content I suppose. With software 2.x I believe software updates were (also) coming via feature disks but I am not sure as I barely worked with XD10 back in the days.

I hear your concerns about the HDD - indeed it's going to be the weak point (the MoBo had failed already and it has been fully recapped) but for now I'd be happy to update the software.

Comment

If you have CDs or ISOs of all the stuff you would need to reingest if the HDD gives up the ghost and is replaced, and are not using the XD-10 for anything critical (e.g. it's in a home screening room, not a revenue-earning theater), I guess there is no harm in just running it until it dies. The one potential gotcha with doing so is that neither a replacement native IDE drive, nor a SATA to IDE adapter, are items that you could get instantly - there'd be a day or two's delay for delivery.

If you don't have CDs or ISOs of the stuff you would need to reingest if the HDD gives up the ghost, then I'd want to Clonezilla it sooner rather than later, at the very least. That would give you the option of replicating exactly the state you were in with a new drive, thereby enabling you to figure out the upgrade problem afterwards.

Comment

Working...
          X