Simplex framing knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simplex framing knob

Does anyone know whether the framing knob for a Simplex standard and a Simplex XL are interchangeable? They look similar but I was told the shafts may be a different size. I recently purchased a Simplex standard, and the seller shipped it in an undersized box so the knob shattered in transit. It's a later version of the standard with a rear shutter if that matters. Trying to figure out if I have to track down an original part or if I can replace it with the far more common XL knob (or perhaps one from a Super or an E-7).

Don't know if they're the same shaft size, but as you say, they're otherwise cosmetically identical. I tried looking through a couple of really old SIMPLEX parts lists I have in my collection, but there's no info on the shaft diameters. The Standard & XL have different part numbers for the knob, but that's not surprising since the lists I have were printed at least 30 years apart.
    I once pulled a shift at a theater a long time ago where somebody had broken the framing control on a Simplex Standard & replaced it with a doorknob.

Comment

I guess if I can't find a framing knob, I can always start looking for an early 30s door knob! Haha

Comment

yes they are the same, someearlyrear shutterkitslike the basson and stearn and the pemco used a fluted knob with a 5/16 shaft, the simplex, wenzel and lavezzi kitsusedthesame knob you are referring to witha 3/8 shaft, i have correct knobs nos available

Comment

Good to see you posting John.

Comment

Thanks, John. Sent you a PM.

Comment

Working...
            X