Oil for 16mm projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil for 16mm projector

I am looking to lubricate a EIKI 16mm projector. The service manual states that one part requires MOS2 (Molybdenum Disulphide Oil). When doing a Google search all sorts of items come up. Does anyone have a link to a suitable oil? Thanks

Steve,
    I'm sure someone here knows but if I were looking for the answer to this, I'd most likely ask on the 16mmfilmtalk.com forum. There are many Eiki aficionados lurking there. Include the model number.

Comment

I repaired hundreds of them back in the 1970's, mostly EX models. We used the actual Eiki grease to re-lube the cam tank. And about the only part that ever failed was the cam tank, usually a very crispy up-down cam, and broken or bent shuttle. The in-out cam is hardened steel. That grease was a Molybdenum Disulphide grease, but not oil... There were felt pieces in place to attempt to hold the grease in place against the cams. Eiki is still in business, so why not start there...?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
        I repaired hundreds of them back in the 1970's, mostly EX models. We used the actual Eiki grease to re-lube the cam tank. And about the only part that ever failed was the cam tank, usually a very crispy up-down cam, and broken or bent shuttle. The in-out cam is hardened steel. That grease was a Molybdenum Disulphide grease, but not oil... There were felt pieces in place to attempt to hold the grease in place against the cams. Eiki is still in business, so why not start there...?
        The manual says grease around the cam, but oil through the hole on top of the cam housing.

Comment

No sure where that oil hole goes to be honest. I was working on them in the late 1970's. It may lead to ecentric that the shuttle was attached to. Adding drops of oil was not something that would have been tended to once projectors were in the schools. As I mentioned, the most failed part was the fiber cam. Most of these projectors ran 5 to 6 hours a day. Yet, the replacement of fiber cams was also generally not more than 8 or 10 per year... out of close to 800 projectors in that school district. There is an Eiki ELF manual in.the Film-Tech Warehouse that has the lubrication charts in it for that model...

Comment

Just get some 8mm oil and use twice as much. . .

Comment

I use Superlube grease when rebuilding my Eiki projector. Been in use for over a year, and still running just fine.

But be reminded that it's only light-duty work. It's used as film transport in my 16mm film scanner setup hence relatively lightly used (once a week or less). Not sure whether it'd hold up for intense work or not?

Comment

Superlube is great stuff! But I think you're correct in saying it's a little bit light, especially for long term use. There may be other synthetic lubes available that may more closely match the characteristics of the original lithium stuff. But one may want to consult with a place that can analyze the stuff to get a close match...

Comment

The intermittent movement models (EX-6120 and 9120) use GM Dexron II transmission fluid. The grease is for the portable machines.

Comment

Working...
                  X