DP70 Alignment Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP70 Alignment Question

I have some questions about aligning a DP70, and want a sanity check on my train of thought. For context, I was doing some routine work on our changeover pair (including changing the cooling hoses out as they had reached the end of their rated service life), and at the time had noticed that one of our cooling plates was in pretty rough shape, and had been visibly repaired before (poor solderwork between the plate and the pipe not silvered over). We had a much better spare on-hand, so I swapped it out while I was doing the hose swap (and had the opportunity to get everything cleaned up properly). It occurred to me at the time that this might mess up the alignment of all of the aperture plates, but its a lot worse than I expected it to be - plates are shifted up and to the left by a substantial-enough margin for it to be very obviously wrong on-screen (can get pics, but take my word for it, it looks awful).

Questions are as follows:
    1) Is there a way to align the cooling plate in the head horizontally or vertically so as to get my already-filed plates back into alignment?
    2) Given that the plates have moved relative to the film, the aperture has moved, and I am now not projecting the correct image area - I'll double-check this with test film, but in my mind, this means that the alignment cannot be fixed by adjusting the machine, but must be fixed in-plate. Is this correct or did I miss something?
    3) Pending the above info, is there a way to correct this without filing new aperture plates or swapping back to the old cooling plate?

I've got time to solve this the right way, our next screening isn't for almost 2 weeks, so if there is a procedure for fixing this, I'd love to hear it - didn't see much in the manual or in my brief research on it. Thanks in advance for any insight offered!
    Last edited by Henry Atkinson; 03-06-2024, 01:08 PM.

I discovered in my rebuild project that the copper plate which includes the film bands on one of the two projectors wasn't landing in the exact center of the film or sprocket. I finally added a precision washer where the plate meets the mechanism. In my case the plate was going in too far. Some version of working on the stopping point would cover your horizontal alignment issue but not the vertical. Don't know if there is a remedy for this. Might be better to fix the original cooling plate and re-install it.
    Last edited by Sam Chavez; 03-06-2024, 06:00 PM.

Comment

I'm with Sam on this one. It would almost have to be far less painful to work on the original cooling plate than to try and either modify the other one or recut aperture plates. I don't recall any adjustment for the cooling plate.

Comment

Working...
      X