Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motor problem 115V 60Hz (simplex apogee projector)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor problem 115V 60Hz (simplex apogee projector)

Problems with 115V 60Hz motor (simplex apogee projector) I have a simplex apogee projector from USA. But it has a problem with the motor. The motor is 115 V 60Hz. I use an ATV 312 inverter and adjust the current to match the nameplate. The output power is 115V 60Hz. But it can work. 3-5 minutes and it stops working. I consulted the Scheider ELE service center. They had me adjust the current according to what they said. But it can't work. Please advise me or contact me by email. sjpre9@live.com thank you
    Attached Files

That is a single phase motor, you CANNOT use ANY type of inverter or regular speed control with it!! There may still be single phase speed controls available, but most will not work (but will burn up) if used on a motor of that size. And it looks like that motor has a start cap, and there are NO single phase controls that work with a cap start motor.

If you need to have adjustable speed on your projector, you must buy a three phase motor of the proper HP, voltage, frame style and shaft dimensions to fit to the projector.

You need to consult with an experienced projection service tech or electrician if you are unsure of how to do this.

EDIT: Also, edit your post and remove your email information before a moderator comes along and does it for you, or bans your account. Email addresses are ONLY allowed in the for sale/wanted threads on this forum.

Comment

A single phase motor can be used with a invertor but only at the rated frequency of the motor so in a region that is 50HZ a invertor can drive a 60HZ motor if sety for 60HZ output. What one cannot do is to run a single phase motor at speeds other than its nameplate rating. Now the issue my be that the invertor doesnt like the powerfactor of the cap and may need a inductor in serries with it . Or it may be the invertor motor drive has to much harmonics in its output

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon McLeod View Post
        A single phase motor can be used with a invertor but only at the rated frequency of the motor so in a region that is 50HZ a invertor can drive a 60HZ motor if sety for 60HZ output. What one cannot do is to run a single phase motor at speeds other than its nameplate rating. Now the issue my be that the invertor doesnt like the powerfactor of the cap and may need a inductor in serries with it . Or it may be the invertor motor drive has to much harmonics in its output
        Maybe, but the capacitor start makes it a no go. I have yet to find an inverter that will handle that. The inductor will not help, as the start winding will still draw too much current (and the cap will overheat and possibly explode.)

And since it can ONLY be run at the rated frequency of 50 (or 60) hertz it totally defeats the purpose of using an inverter in the first place. And yes, ALL inverter drives have serious harmonics in the output, PLUS the "carrier" modulation frequency (which gives them the whine you hear.)

So my answer stands, you CANNOT run a single phase motor (especially a capacitor start, or cap start, cap run) motor on ANY inverter.

Now, what CAN be done with an inverter is taking a single phase power INPUT and driving a properly sized THREE PHASE motor. That works very well, and three phase motors are sometimes cheaper that the single Phase counterparts.

Comment

well we will disagree we have been doing it for years running single phase european equipment of invertor to supply 50Hz supply for them.

Comment

[QUOTE=Surasit Jum;n34132]Problems with 115V 60Hz motor (simplex apogee projector) I have a simplex apogee projector from USA. But it has a problem with the motor. The motor is 115 V 60Hz. I use an ATV 312 inverter and adjust the current to match the nameplate. The output power is 115V 60Hz. But it can work. 3-5 minutes and it stops working. I consulted the Scheider ELE service center. They had me adjust the current according to what they said. But it can't work.

Comment

Since the inverter likely does not put out the required sine wave, it likely puts out either a squareish or highly distorted sine wave, the motor, or the inverter are probably over-heating and shutting off to protect itself. I would not run a baldor synchronous motor that way. You should consider a rotary converter instead. I've also had overheating conditions happen where the fins of the motor get plugged with dust.

Comment

Working...
              X