Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best I can do based on the photos provided:

1-2 - Fresnel lens - Probable a spotlight

3 - Carbon arc lamp (left), Simplex magazine (center), unknown other parts (bottom)

4 - Simplex magazine (probable 2K reels), large capacity magazine (probably 1950s 3-D era, probably IPC), what looks like a Simplex 3-point base in the shadows

5 - Fresnel lens

6 - Stand of some kind, probably not cinema tech

7 - Carbon arc lamphouse

8 - Strong high intensity lamphouse (obviously)

9 - No idea

10 - Carbon arc lamphouse in foreground, different carbon arc lamphouse in background, film magazine on right.

11 - Close-up of branding on Simplex high intensity lamphouse

12 - Power's Cameragraph No. 6B base with lamp bracket elevated to accommodate a soundhead, with separated legs stacked on top (left); Simplex 3-point based (center); Simplex 3-point base (right)

13 - Hollywood Film Company film rewinds. They look like the style with a long shaft meant for multi-gang 16mm editing. May work for 35mm, if they have 5/16" keyed shafts.

14 - Looks like the badge on a Simplex SH-1000 or X-L soundhead. A wider shot would confirm.

15 - Record player, in this context probably once used for walk-in music.

Post 2

16 - Spotlight or work light [?] and a 1K film can (likely asbestos lined). The film can is quite old, maybe teens or 20s.

17 - No idea

18 - Projector base (partial)

19 - Simplex soundhead - SH-1000 or similar, missing the motor and motor mount bracket

20 - Carbon arc lamphouse

21 - Early optical soundhead - Probably goes with the Power's, possibly the rarest item of the bunch. There were a ton of copycat companies who all failed within a couple years of the proliferation of optical sound. This one is missing the cover for the exciter lamp, possibly other parts. Still cool.

22 - Super Simplex projector head

23-24 - Western Electric amplifier

Post 3

25-26 - Late model standard Simplex projector head

27 - Same, with blue aftermarket paint job

28 - Pott's platter manual

29 - Changeover foot pedal

30 - Rewinds of unknown make (pretty old), feed magazine bracket and clutch with magazine enclosure removed

31 - Snood and slide carriage, probably from the Power's (reminds me of a 6A, but certainly no later than the 1920s) / Simplex magazine

32 - Not sure - with the coils, possibly part of an AC power supply for an incandescent lamp?

33 - Incandescent lamphouse for an early projector. No later than 1920s. Might go with the Power's.

34 - Projector pedestal tilt adjustment. Might go with the base missing a top (Photo #18).

35-36-37 - Ballantyne Pro 35 projector head

37 - Eprad lamphouse - Small enough that it might be of interest to collectors for home theaters if it runs on 120V

38-39 - Century R3 optical soundhead

40 - Kelmar takeup reel arm

41 - Alpha platter system (obviously)

42 - Eprad lamp, jumbled pile including projector base tilt adjustment and Kelmar reel arms, other parts / Alpha platter system platter tree

43 - Simplex X-L projector head

44 - Century optical soundhead (R3?) missing the motor and motor mount bracket

Post 4

45 - Motors - Flat belt motors, possibly for the Power's

Comment

I would love some more photos (interior and exterior) of that early soundhead (photo #21). It's hard to make out the text from the photo. Does it say "Ultraphone Jewell"?

Comment

yes jesse that is an ultraphone sound attachment for powers, jewell mfg made several sound attachments for simplex. also low intensity arc lamps too.

Comment

Is there a thread for collectors of 35mm prints?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Balsamo View Post
            Is there a thread for collectors of 35mm prints?
            Not yet. I don't know if things have relaxed since the digital takeover, but film collecting of 35mm theatrical prints has been a slippery slope. There have been some folks who have done serious time for selling/possessing 35mm prints in the past.

There was once a publication "Big Reel" that was tailored to film collectors, but I think it is long gone.

Edit: Here is a wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Reel

Comment

Thanks! I'll have to look into that. I am trying to find a print of a silent film called "Lily of the Dust". It is from 1924 and we believe it was the first movie to play at the York Theatre in Elmhurst. We would like to show it if we can find a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Balsamo View Post
                Thanks! I'll have to look into that. I am trying to find a print of a silent film called "Lily of the Dust". It is from 1924 and we believe it was the first movie to play at the York Theatre in Elmhurst. We would like to show it if we can find a copy.
                Contact this theatre, they specialize in playing older silent films and may be able to connect you with a source: https://www.oldtownmusichall.org/

I knew both of the late former owners, and did some projection, sound and electrical work for them many years ago. The new owners are quite nice and should be willing to help you out.

Comment

Do a search for a website about 35mm film. I'm not allowed to put the exact name here (for some reason), but it's a forum-type site with many films listed. You can't look at the pages until you've signed up as a "member" (it's free), but then you can peruse all manner of topics about films for sale, etc. Some are in the US, some are overseas, so be sure to read the details carefully if you're interested in buying. The pressure seems to be off, as far as the copyright police breaking down doors and taking back prints. You might also take a look at eBay, doing a search for "35mm movie film" for sale. Most of the items there are trailers (35mm) but there are occasional full features as well.

Comment

Officially, if you dig into e-bay policies, listing 35mm film prints is 'forbidden' - but heck, I've
                    bought several 35mm prints through them. I once had both 35 and 16mm prints of "High
                    Anxiety" - - So, I could have easily sold the 16mm one on e-bay, but in theory I would have
                    been violating one of their 'terms of service' rules if I sold the 35mm one. . . even though I
                    assume the copyright was owned by the same originator. Some people get around it by
                    listing "film reels with film" or some obfuscatious term. But I'm not really sure how closely
                    e-bay monitors these things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cassedy View Post
                      Officially, if you dig into e-bay policies, listing 35mm film prints is 'forbidden' - but heck, I've
                      bought several 35mm prints through them. I once had both 35 and 16mm prints of "High
                      Anxiety" - - So, I could have easily sold the 16mm one on e-bay, but in theory I would have
                      been violating one of their 'terms of service' rules if I sold the 35mm one. . . even though I
                      assume the copyright was owned by the same originator. Some people get around it by
                      listing "film reels with film" or some obfuscatious term. But I'm not really sure how closely
                      e-bay monitors these things.
                      They have bigger fish to fry in terms of ToS violations over there - the likes actual orchestrated scams and fraud schemes. We've bought a good few 35mm prints on eBay over the last few years, and as far as I'm aware all of those sellers are still out and about on the site. A lot of sellers also seem to try and evade the eBay policy (which is derived from intellectual property infringement, and likely exists just to protect eBay in the event that a studio choses to go after them for a sale) by slapping giant "THIS LISTING DOES NOT GRANT RIGHTS TO SUCH AND SUCH, SO ON AND SO FORTH" disclaimers on their listings. Maybe this keeps them happy enough? I don't really know.

This same policy bans the sale of anything from software to autographed memorabilia to used recordable media. Which doesn't stop anyone from selling those things either... all in all, I'd say just be careful. While I haven't seen eBay turn their ire on anyone for selling film prints, when they do decide to ban someone, they mean business, its all but impossible to circumvent, and with good reason usually.

Comment

Note that any film made in 1923 or before is public domain. As time went by, copyrights laws were updated and now include the life of the author (presumably of the Screen Play) plus 90 years. Also, quite a few movies owners failed or forgot to renew the copyrights. Orson Welle's "The Stranger" is a prime example of that occurring.

Comment

While true, eBay also specifically calls out media in the public domain as a no-go item! (I can't figure that one out personally, if anyone knows why I'm interested)

Comment

Ebay has plain gotten weird lately. Their listing system now runs on AI and makes suggestion's and changes on the fly. I am sticking with Facebook Marketplace. It's so much easier to deal with. I have also had pretty good luck on Craig's list. But I always meet the buyer near by, and he has to bring cash.

Comment

Working...
                            X