No announcement yet.

Kinoton RSSD Wow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

right on Sam! especially if you read the original post where he notes you can see the film undulating! im pretty sure a deaf man could hear the wow~ when i was young, our altec engineer Cliff Applegate installed a pair of motio AAAs and SH7500s in the Brockway theatre, they came out of Treasure Island Baselone theatre (us navy) anyway we were running sound of music and the wow was so bad customers were getting refunds,,,the sound loop was dancing up and down an inch or so! the dampener had lost the fluid! i had to hold the film tight with my finger to make the sound acceptable on that machine, it took Cliff about two weeks to get a replacement from Wolk! the wow sounded like two cats during mating season! it was horrible! i sure miss techs Cliff and Bob Koch too those old timers were pretty savvy.
    Last edited by John Eickhof; 07-28-2023, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I don't recall any damper on that soundhead but haven't touched one in 40 years. Do you mean the rotary stabilizer? It was a liquid filled one similar to RCA and Simplex of that era.

Comment

yup, sorry, i meant the drum flywheel bearings...the slightest defect, dirt, dried out lube on any of the flywheel stabilized soundheads would cause flutter and wow in the sound...i was taught to replace the bearings with single shield type with the open side facing inward and lube them with soundhead oil...and to test the inner flywheel action, to spin the outer flywheel, then stop it briskly and let go...it should start turning again from the velocity of the inner flywheel, if not the inner bearings are probably galded or stuck or the viscous fluid has escaped or dried up...how ya doin?

Comment

Working...
        X