Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gasoline as a projector oil substitute (!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

probably cause it was easier to get into the oil can???? viscosity... nyuk nyuk nyuk! had another old timer that had brenkerts and he ran F type ATF in them for decades with no troubles, the gear side was very clean but it looked like blood running down the window! kinda eerie!

Comment

Viscosity, nyuk, nyuk. Guess the alternative would have worked in the Ultramittents.

Keeping with the bike theme in my last post, the friend who sold me my YZ125 was running ATF instead of the proper oil in my bike AND his brand new 2022 YZ250. He was always wondering why he had clutch issues and so much crud in the ATF at oil changes. I had to explain to him why ATF and the clutch materials used in mx bikes were not a good match. After flushing his bike and putting the right oil in, he was amazed at how much better his bike worked.

I knew a few guys in my service days who also ran ATF in their Simplex Xls and one Norelco. Most claimed it worked better than the specified projector oil, I couldn't really dismiss that as I don't recall ever having to change intermittents or gears in those machines over the many years I serviced the sites.

Comment

Another weird one I had was a XL head I bought really cheap years ago from Ringold theatre supply in St. Louis, it was a hammertone blue 'Jerry Lewis' era head, it was retired because it was hammering badly and the owner had it installed in the 70s and had century heads previous, when John Mattler removed the head from a theatre in Missouri, the rear cover was off and it had been lubricated with Vaseline like a century! it had been operating over 20 years this way until the int finally wore out due to lack of oil! I rebuilt it and it was the quietest XL i have ever seen! It ended up in a home screening room in Nevada and now resides in a home screening room 25 miles from me and is quiet and smooth running still!

Comment

This does beg the question, why don’t we have any AAIIs or DP70s that are gas powered!? Sounds like they were onto the next big thing

Comment

That’s it, I’ve lost faith in humanity for today.

Comment

Working...
            X