No announcement yet.

Bell & Howell 185 16mm projector speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No direct or recent experience on B and H but I would surmise your motor may be arcing more than normal due to wear or perhaps a shorted winding. Or just not yet settled in from the recent service. You can always put two caps in series if there is space which doubles the Voltage but divides the capacitance value by half.

Comment

Thanks Sam,
      I'll try to find a cap with a high voltage, and see what happens.
      Thanks again
      Osvaldo

Comment

If the motor is running on AC and the cap is an electrolytic, you would need a non-polarized electrolytic capacitor.

Comment

Osvaldo, I think I see what the problem is... you said you replaced:

Originally posted by Osvaldo Flores View Post
          ....... I replaced the 2 X 0.5uF 600VDC sealed capacitor.........
          If you are referring to the dual capacitor in the start circuit, you are way off on the value. (Which would also explain the excessive arcing.)

It MUST be what John posted:

the cap on the terminal board is a .05 uf 600v, and the cap in the motor speed control is a dual 5-5 uf 500v mica cap,
          Double check the values of ALL of the capacitors, and note that the speed caps (5uf) MUST be MICA (that is the material that does the capacitance.)

As was noted, don't use electrolytic caps unless it is specifically designed for motors i.e. non-polarized.

As for the voltage rating, it wouldn't hurt to go to a higher value but I don't think that is the issue here.

If the proper 5uf micas don't solve the problem then you most likely have a shorted motor winding, which means have the motor rewound or replace it. But try the right capacitors first.
          Last edited by Tony Bandiera Jr; 02-23-2023, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Hi Tony,
            thanks for answering my post.
            Please find the attached photo of the capacitor I replaced ( this is the capacitor that come with the projector) I
            do not see any Mica capacitor. I marked it also on the diagram. Please let me know where to find the Mica 5uf
            capacitor.
            Thank you
            Osvaldo 2X5 MFD 600VDC replaced.jpg
            Industrial Cond.Corporation2X.5MFD 600VDC.jpg​

Comment

it s part located upper left on the terminal strip the cap you need is an older oil filled ( aka 'bathtub' capacitor) dual section cap .5 x .5 600v i may have a new old stock one...i will look, im not sure if theres enough room for anything else but that specific type?

Comment

Yes John, that's the one I replaced, and after about 30 minutes of projecting, the projector went wild on speed and one of the dual section of the new cap just replaced shorted...
                Thanks
                Last edited by Osvaldo Flores; 02-23-2023, 03:15 PM.

Comment

it sounds like you may have a shorted winding in th motor if it is failing after running a while, most likely an insulation breakdown, it may pay to get another motor (look for an old parts machine)

Comment

Originally posted by John Eickhof View Post
                    it s part located upper left on the terminal strip the cap you need is an older oil filled ( aka 'bathtub' capacitor) dual section cap .5 x .5 600v i may have a new old stock one...i will look, im not sure if theres enough room for anything else but that specific type?

LOL thanks for throwing me under the bus there you old coot. In you first post you specifically wrote that it was 5uf, not .5uf. So I looked like a fool in my reply. You owe me lunch and a marshmallow shake.

Anyways, if Osvaldo did use the right value the first time, then I agree that the motor most likely has a shorted winding.

Comment

ok, ok, a typo...what's a decimal point or two anyway! nyuk nyuk nyuk! back on track.. Osvaldo, was it the 2x .5 uf cap you replaced (in your picture) or the one on the terminal strip that I 'believe' to be a single section .02 uf or .05 uf 400 vdc cap? I am so old my eyes fool me but it is very difficult to read the value on the schematic? Also, I do have a new old stock 2x .5 @ 600vdc cap, if you still want to try another, pm me.
                      Last edited by John Eickhof; 02-24-2023, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Old coot! I think John is 10 years younger than me.

Comment

well Sam, typical youngster...he has 'no respect' for his elders! of course, i still try and think i'm younger than i am but the physical aspect is lagging! just wait Tony...it will get to you too! hahaha

Comment

It's not the age, it's the mileage, eh?

Comment

maybe! i keep waiting for the odometer to turn over to 000 so i can start over again!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Chavez View Post
                                It's not the age, it's the mileage, eh?
                                Exactly. My mind is still reasonably good but lately my body is acting worse that my actual age (60). I guess my body would be an Iwerks if it was a projector.

Comment

Working...
                                X