No announcement yet.

3D Print Your Own Mini DP70!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Much appreciated Thomas. I'm most of the way through printing mine now!

Comment

Originally posted by Damien Taylor View Post
      Much appreciated Thomas. I'm most of the way through printing mine now!
      Awesome! Looking forward to seeing how it comes out!

Comment

A year and some change later, I'm finally in a reasonable position to make a few of these if people would like to buy one (or more). If anyone is interested, please reach out!

Comment

Check your messages! And thanks for the update.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
            Or for printing vertical shafts for full-sized DP-70s!
            Leo, a good starting point is Worral Grinding in Anderson. His dad invented and built the Worral Gear Head that is still used extensively in big movies.

We used to have both Wolk, LaVezzi, and a local casting company make parts for us when I worked for Claco. Wolk made some gears, gate bands and compound curved runners that were originated by James Bond. LaVezzi made 35mm VKF sprockets, pad rollers, and certain gears that they could cut. We had main drive gears cut, but I don't remember who made those. A local alumnium casting company made lamphouse tables and lens mount castings and other parts that were missing or broken. All these companies are now gone, with the exception of the casting place. All castings were machined by myself or another tech, Earl. We used direct drive, through attached VFD's instead of synchronus motors and drive belts. it was actually less expensive. We also had most setup with a motor shaft position sensor so that when the projector stopped, the projector went to the thread position automatically. We used a nearby powder paint company to paint the machined castings, and plating shop to re-silver the cooling plates and Anodize the new motor mounts. This is about all the details I can remember...
            Last edited by Mark Gulbrandsen; 01-10-2024, 03:18 PM.

Comment

hey Mark, what is the name of the foundry in SLC? i am making a pattern for the hard to find pivot arm...

Comment

Originally posted by John Eickhof View Post
                hey Mark, what is the name of the foundry in SLC? i am making a pattern for the hard to find pivot arm...
                LDS Foundry.......nyuk nyuk.....

Comment

State Brass and Foundry John. Used to be a block South of Claco in the 1400 block of State. But pretty sure they have moved. Last number was... (801) 972-5881

Comment

Working...
                  X