DP70 intermittent unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Eickhof View Post
    boy i would bet randys looking back now at all the money he spent on the couple dozen or mor dp projectors only to have dc come in...I went to casper and hauled a van load of dp stuff to sam chavez after he went dc...
    Randy actually had DC running right next to the DP-70's... Clayton and I installed at least three. One was a very early DP-100 that ended up in Rawlins. The others were Christies leased from Dolby. Those three were primarily for 3D. Oh I installed another Christie in Rock Springs.

Comment

This was the system in Rock Springs back in the day...
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I almost forgot... 12 screens worth of DP-70 In there some place are the two from ILM's Stag theater and one from the Seattle Cinerama.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

If its in good condition I would consider whether you really want to risk damaging such a rare and EXPENSIVE item.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean McKinnon View Post
            If its in good condition I would consider whether you really want to risk damaging such a rare and EXPENSIVE item.
            Sean, It's one of the easiest movements to tear down. But I do recommend making a more appropriate wheel puller for the flywheel is all...

Comment

I agree Mark, im just saying I know what they can go for now (though they hardly ever need to be replaced) and its a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean McKinnon View Post
                I agree Mark, im just saying I know what they can go for now (though they hardly ever need to be replaced) and its a lot of money.

It's cheaper to locate another projector to use as spares. Or if you need a gear go to a gear shop. When I was at CLACO we had all sorts of parts made... Gate Bands, Compound curved runners, 35mm VKF Sprockets, DTS adapter plates, we also stocked one converted sound reproducer because the Kinoton is too lightly made and a PIA to change LED's on. WE used the BACP kit and I did all the machining.

Anyway, It's still a good idea to open it up and clean the particle magnet off. Many techs don't even know there is one in the movement. Everyone of the 50+ that I have had apart had the magnet covered with a mound of metal shards. If dropped, or received rough treatment in shipping they could break loose from the magnet. That magnet also catches metal particles from other areas of the projector that the main magnet in the filter missed. Most of those movement magnets are going to have over 50 years of metal crud on them!
                Last edited by Mark Gulbrandsen; 03-17-2022, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Yeah well I will admit I never had to open one because they just keep going and going usually. infact the only real work ive ever had to do on an installed machine is regular maintenance stuff, replacing the shutter drive gear, and upgrading the soundhead.

Comment

I only opened them on rebuilt machines we sold. Since I made a couple of tools to make that easy, it could be done pretty quickly. I did find one once that looked like the radius of the cam and the star were galled at some point. So that one did not leave the building.

Comment

Working...
                    X