Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reason there is no DTS Disk Repository?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, That's correct... We wasted the upper center channel.
    Last edited by Mark Gulbrandsen; 08-03-2022, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Giustini View Post
      Not even 6! 5 and a half I’d say ? (the subwoofer channel was derived from the surround channels)
      The special venue 6D were actually 6 descrete channels. L C R Ls Rs and Top The sub was a sum of LCR

Comment

Yes, they were. We could not get one because DTS had no parts left to build one, although they could repair one if needed. The XD-10 had already been out around 2 years by then. So after they told us there were almost no high center on any of their large format disks, it made more sense to kill off that channel.

Comment

The SV version was a 6D with an extra APTX-100 chip in it if memory serves. The standard 6D has an empty socket.

Comment

Pretty sure that's correct. I think you also switch out the usual timecode chip as well.

Comment

I think compiling of what audio was available on discs isn't a violation of any copyright. I have spreadsheets which breakdown trailer reels on both feature discs and the trailer reel discs issued between 1998 and 2014. I'm missing all of 1996, half of 1997 and only one from 1998.

Comment

I have Twelve Monkey's disks... Serial 0001

Comment

"Buzz & Bill" was 0001. "12 Monkeys" is 1206. Do you have a pic of the disc?

Comment

I have them in my storage, but am moving out this month. I also worked on the movie which is why I saved them.

Comment

Hello, I think this subject may have already been discussed but just in case I am missing a vital piece of information and for clarification can I ask the question:

If a print is in a different language or is from a different country than the DTS disc is there a way that the time code on the film can be read and the time code on the disc also read so the two can be made to work together?​

Thank you

Neal

Comment

The serial number is embedded in the timecode every (I think) 8 DTS frames. A strip of film 1 foot long should have at least 1 Serial Number frame.

As long as the timecode read matches the timecode in the files on disc, audio should play. There are a handful of films which have different serial numbers from the US release and releases elsewhere. For example "Oceans" is 9341 in the US and 65350 for international. "Goldeneye" is 1200 in the US and 1201 in the UK. "Taken" is 7560 in the US and 7150 elsewhere. "The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc" is 65527 in the US and 65529 Internationally. "Hitman" is 65369 in the US and 65370 Internationally. While theoretically one could hack the serial number embedded in the audio files, that wouldn't be a good idea. "Oceans" for example has a completely different running time in the US and Internationally.

Usually the serial number doesn't change between languages - I have French, Dutch and English editions of "Megamind" which are all SN 9839.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Blaine that is really helpful.

Comment

For example "Oceans" is 9341 in the US and 65350 for international. "Oceans" for example has a completely different running time in the US and Internationally.
                            Also seems that the US version is only 5.1 and the international is DTS-ES? At least it's my understanding that 5-digits serials would be used for ES-encoded movies and would trigger relevant automations. Clearly I doubt there were two different versions so it sounds like a mistake to me!

Comment

USA Running time: 84 minutes - 5 reels English Narration by Pierce Brosnan
                              French Run TIme: 104 minutes - 6 reels French Narration by Jacques Perrin

Disney recut the film. They are completely different. Hence the 2 serial numbers.

Comment

There are issues running different language disk sometimes. Due to the french speaking population in many areas outside of quebec we had decided to run one show a week at a location in french and the french disk would not play. Different SN. As a side note we often would have a Bollywood film playback any number of English language films that they were not related to

Comment

Working...
                                X