SMPTE Test Film Source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMPTE Test Film Source?

Is SMPTE (or anyone) still selling RP-40 / PA-35 type test films, and the like?
    I tried looking on their website and didn't see them listed anywhere, unless
    I'm just not looking in the right place. All I could find was digtialcinemastuff.
    Anybody know a source? (Yes, I know they're expensive, but that's not an issue)
    THANKS!

Boston Light & Sound has pa-35, 16mm and 70mm alignment film

Comment

Thanks, Sean-! - I shouldda known BLS would have some.I know Chapin there very well,
      and was almost going to e-mail him directly with this question if I didn't find an answer here.

Comment

BACP carries most test films as well, as long as they last. SMPTE is too cheap to carry any stock. As you guess. not cheap.

Comment

This has been discussed at several SMPTE meetings. Years ago, I suggested making digital masters for them and print them on demand from the digital masters. Just before videotape was introduced, Polaroid had developed "instant movie film." Perhaps this would be a good application for it.

Harold

Comment

The last I knew we (MiT - sales {at} movingimagetech.com) had buzz track and RP-40. Not sure about anything else.

Comment

I wonder how good digital masters would be. Have you EVER seen a digital scan of 35PA? How about a 4K output of 35PA? Part of its purpose is to test the limits of the projection system. My fear is that a digital version would introduce its own limits pre-film out. One of the reason that 35PA was camera original is to get it as accurate as possible (though I always wanted a KS-1870 version for cinemas, not a BH-1866...which is the negative perforation and short pitch). 70PA was always duplicated and not camera original and it showed. Its blacks were poor and its resolution was not nearly as detailed.

Comment

I have redesigned 35PA (from the standard) and made some direct 35mm print and I'm quite happy of the results I've also made some 1kHz tone and pink noise prints with analog and DD audio track

Comment

Originally posted by Elia Orselli View Post
                  I've also made some 1kHz tone and pink noise prints with analog and DD audio track
                  You've had film printed with a Dolby Digital track? Did that involve you contacting a audio post facility to have a Dolby Printmaster made?

Comment

It was easier, because my lab already owned a Dolby Printmaster available for these audio tests (but the process for new sountrack would require that)

Comment

Working...
                    X