Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaky Image/Century Projector MSC-TA

Hello All,

We have jitter and shaky image when running our Century MSC-TA Projector. We have exhausted many options and it comes down to Lens Turret shaking and or the fan on top of the projector causing the entire lamphouse and projector head shake. We are leaning more towards the lens Turret shaking too much and quick adjustments on one of the bearings seems to improve or worsen the image, but we cannot quite get it. Any thoughts? Let me know. Thank You in advance.

It is most likely from the fan on the lamphouse vibrating. some steps to take:

1: Remove the fan or power it down temproarily..if the shake goes away, you have confirmed the fan is the cause. If so:
    2: Remove the fan and clean and inspect the blades/fins for dust buildup, warping or bending. Fix any of that.
    3: Isolate the fan from the projector with a short section of flexible ducting (the fabric kind, not expanding metal) at the lamphouse. Move the fan "up" the duct away from the lamphouse as far as possible.

Any internal lamphouse fans/blowers need to be checked too, especially if turning off the external fan doesn't stop the shaking.

Also check for bad or dry bearings/gears in the projector, excessive gear play in the projector and shutter drive, loose or warped shutter blades (which will cause imbalance and vibrations.)

And of course check the mounting bolts from the lamphouse to the projector assembly and make sure they are tight. Make sure the pedestal/console is setting level on all of its feet on the floor too.

What lamphouse/console do you have?

Comment

Throw an image on the screen and use your hand to find the problem. Apply pressure against the turret from all directions, hold the lens, etc. to see if the shaking stops. Also the projector head should not be shaking. If it is then it needs to be serviced properly. A Century should NOT have any vibration whilst running. Is it doing in in scope or flat, or both? I have seen front lens elements losen enough to cause shaking in the picture.

Comment

im with mark here...i have seen the newer air gapped lenses loosen up causing unsteady image, especially isco. pull the lenses from the turret and shake them, if you hear or feel slight rattle, get the proper spanner to tighten the retaining rings. otherwise, look for slack in the rotating ring that revolves when lens changing and look for slop in the individule lensholders on the turret. if the exhaust fan is vibrating, install rubber anti vibration isolators between it and the top of the lamphouse, you can buy them in sets of four from grainger or on epay, i have used them many times especially when the fan is located atop the lamphouse.
        Last edited by John Eickhof; 02-12-2022, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X