Recent films with DTS/Datasat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent films with DTS/Datasat

In the Licorice Pizza thread, Jim found that the DTS serial number is 14219. However I've just found out that the DTS serial for Death on the Nile is 14214. Which leaves a gap of 4 films, assuming that the serial numbers are sequential (and I can think of no reason why they wouldn't be). Interestingly this also means that Death on the Nile was likely mastered, or got the license to be mastered, first.

I'm now curious to know what these four "missing films" are! Anyone have any ideas? I'm unaware of any other recent 70mm releases, so I'm inclined to think they could be 35mm prints with a DTS track on them. Maybe they could be trailers?

Multiple language mixes of the same movie is another possibility.

Comment

I suppose that's possible, although having each language mix use a different serial code defeats the best feature of DTS, of the ability to change the language by swapping discs. But I'm aware that some films did have different cuts in different languages, so this was required.

Anyone running Death on the Nile in English who can check the serial code? The code of 14214 above is for the Italian cut. Or did you run Licorice Pizza in non-English?

Comment

Originally posted by David Ferguson View Post
        The code of 14214 above is for the Italian cut. Or did you run Licorice Pizza in non-English?
        I don't know the version, we are running EN with IT subs (but I think we have also IT sound version)

Comment

what I have seen with forign versions is,that ususally its the first and last reel which is different.could be logoes and end titels with the forign versions speakers.so these reels had higher reel numbers.like reel 13 or 15,but the same serial number.

Comment

Foreign versions have the same serial as domestic prints. Sometimes reel 1 is different due to distributor logos, so on foreign discs there is either a "foreign reel 1" (dom print and foreign disc is just out sync, or vice versa) or reel 1 is issued (usually) as reel 13.

@Alan, reel 15 is always the a THX trailer.

Originally posted by David Ferguson View Post
            Maybe they could be trailers?
            Nope, trailers have their own serials and are not mixed with features.

The "missing" serials can also be reservations for projects that did not make it onto film yet. Maybe they issue a serial as soon as somebody requests a quote.

Comment

UK version of Death on the Nile is indeed serial 14214.

Comment

"Foreign versions have the same serial as domestic prints. " No not always usually do to different cuts of the content. We went down that road here in canada with english and french versions and different serial numbers

Comment

I know the (former) DTS employee out here in L.A. -- who is still on occasional duty to create the soundtrack negatives for any new shows that come along. He's the one who applies the serial number(s) for the various projects. I asked him what were the missing items (numbers 14215, 14216, 14217, & 14218) His reply, which gives at least a bit of detail: "They were just SV museum films and one test for 35mm." SV = Special Venue. So, they were likely for specialized museums, possibly in China. Perhaps one of the readers of this thread, with better connections in China than I, could come up with a bit more info about which museums there are still using film?

Comment

that's very cool to know! thanks!

Comment

ALL 35mm prints of Licorice Pizza all had SRD without DTS.
                      The 70mm prints of Licorice Pizza were all struck off of the same negative. Foreign copies simply had a silent Universal logo spliced onto the beginning of reel 1.

Comment

At the venue I'm at, we run one or more 35mm repertory titles almost weekly. The prints come from a variety
                        of sources and archives, and I"ve been pleasantly surprised that most have been in very good shape despite
                        their age. But the DTS disks that arrive with most of them are in pretty bad shape - - and are usually unusable.
                        Last week, while packing up a print of "Femme Fatale" (Brian DePalma- 2002) I found the DTS disks stashed
                        under the return labels. (see photo below) They were quite severely scratched and unusable, and the one in
                        the picture is typical of the condition of the DTS disks sent with many of the titles I get lately. On the other hand,
                        the print itself was in very good shape, and the DolbyDigital™ error rate was a steady '5' except it would usually
                        climb to '6' near the change-overs at the end of the reels. (and where else would the changeovers be?)
                        BadDTS.jpg

Actually, the 35mm DTS readers have been removed from my projectors, and we only
                        use DTS for 70mm prints.

Bonus Picture:
                        The Femme Fatale print was in great shape, and as U can C, it had good color,
                        and it also had what I call "French Cues" - - Big friggin' cues that are almost
                        mid frame, instead of up in the corner. I call them that because I've only seen
                        these on films from French, labs, especially on films from the 1950's & 60's. Well,
                        I'll say one thing- - If I miss one of these cues, I should start looking for other work.
                        FrenchCues.jpg

jc

Comment

Working...
                        X