Film Jumps a Sprocket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film Jumps a Sprocket.

I notice when starting up the motor in the Hybrid Century JJ 35mm/70mm with Lens Turret, the film jumps a sprocket. This is noticeable with the tension around the Sound Drum gets more than it needs or dangerously too much. To be safe when threading up i leave less to no tension by the sound drum area. I have never come across an issue like this from what I can remember. Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Stetched or loose belt coupling soundhead to the projector, Incorrect pad roller clearance, too much takeup tension,projector starting too fast (either slow start resistor or inverter drive)

Comment

im with gordon here...is the takeup reel slacking on start then catching up and pulling the film past the sprocket? is this on 35mm or 70mm? check and make sure you have a century slo-start kit on the motor and make sure its ok, theres a large resistor inside, inspect it for burn out. either the projector is starting too fast or the takeup is slacking...

Comment

There is a 35mm roller directly below the soundhead sprocket so the film gets a nice wrap before going to the takeup reel/platter. Is the roller there? Is it being used and not bypassed?

Comment

Pretty much what the other guys are saying.

If this problem happens once or twice, check your threading to be sure that you've done it correctly. Be sure that all the pad rollers are snapped down and that all your sprockets, rollers and guides are in place and properly tightened.

If it keeps happening, check to see that your takeup is working the way it should. Repair, replace or tighten things as necessary.

If you've tried all the above and it still keeps happening, maybe your projector is out of sync? Maybe the linkages (belts, pulleys, gears) from the projector motor to the sound head and through to the picture head are loose, slipping or out of time.

Like others say, if your projector has a slow start kit, check to be sure that it is working the way it should.

Comment

Working...
          X