No announcement yet.

LED or different lamp in 16mm projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I tried putting an LED in my old 16mm projector. It wasn't easy, but wow, what a difference! The picture is way brighter now. I didn't really measure the brightness, but it's a lot better than before. Plus, the projector doesn't get as hot, which is great.

Comment

Good to hear it's working for you. Would be great if you give us some details:

- What projector did you use?
      - How big is the screen?
      - What LED did you end up using and how are you cooling it?
      - What do you think about the colors?

Comment

Yeah, I'm curious about the colors too. Most 16mm will be timed for tungsten so a "white" LED will tend to look a bit too blue and sterle. This will also give the illusion of being brighter too (an old TV trick was for display, to get the color temp up to have the image appear brighter).

Comment

Finding the right LED was a bit of a hassle. I had to try a couple before I found one that fit and worked right. Make sure you check the size and power stuff before you buy.

I got a lot of help from this website, https://leds.to/. They have easy guides and tips. Might be worth checking out for your projector thing.​

Comment

I had a look at that website....heaps of stuff to trawl through and like Marcel noted re type of projector and what LED you ended up using and the colour temp aspect would be helpful.
            The 100W Xenon car headlamp I fitted to the Harmour & Heath machine has died and there does not now appear to be any Car headlight xenons available anymore so I am looking for a suitable replacement.
            The old Harmour & Heath machine used a 1000W x 115V lamp which was quite large and generated a LOT of heat so a LED will run super cool.

There are 183 pages to trawl through so a clue as to which page to start on would be helpful
            Last edited by Lindsay Morris; 02-03-2024, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X