Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeVry XD and Simplex 2000 rehabilitation

Hi everyone,

I'm a noob, but I've wanted to run 35mm on parent's backyard screen since I was 8 years old. I have a DeVry XD that I just bought off Craigslist and a Simplex 2000 with a platter system that I got from a local theater about five years ago. I've made the most progress with the DeVry. It was missing a gate and lamphouse and didn't come with an amp. I ended up removing some of one side of a Christie gate assembly and 3d printing a mount for it.

2021-04-25 19.40.jpeg
    2021-04-25 20.34.jpeg

For the lamphouse, I disassembled an Epson digital projector and removed the lenses and lamp. Then I recreated the lens assembly in Tinker CAD and printed a mount for the lenses and a separate mount for the lamp and fan with room for the shutter in between.

2021-04-25 19.33.jpeg

image_935.jpg

The image looks good. There's a little vignetting, but It outperformed my expectations.

Narnia trailer test with semi-synced audio: https://youtu.be/xNs4nE4ZNPM

Unfortunately I have no idea where to start with the audio. When I bought it, just the motor was wired onto a lamp cord, and that's how I've kept it. I've been running trailers with a separate audio track that I spliced together from versions of the trailers that I found online. I keep it in sync by nudging the delay back an forth in 50ms increments with VLC player. That's not sustainable. Here's an image of how the screw terminals are currently wired on the DeVry if anyone has directions for wiring the soundhead (which may or may not work).

image_937.jpg

The end goal is to run features. Right now, I'm thinking about taking what I've learned from the DeVry and applying it to the Simplex since it will probably be gentler to film and will interface with the platter system without modification. The main problem is that the head is currently attached to a massive Strong lamphouse.

image_939.jpg

Before I go ahead and sever the connection to the lamphouse, I'd like to know which wires I need to connect to 110v to run the motor and which ones I need to connect to whatever other DC voltages (probably 12v) to in order to power the soundhead. I don't need auto turret functionality. Just bare bones sound and motor...at least for now.

image_938.jpg

Also, if anyone who sees this in the Seattle-Tacoma area would be interested in meeting to look at my projectors and offer me some advice, I'd be happy to pay for your time. I'm obviously not afraid of projects, I just don't know what I'm doing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tiger Paulsen; 04-25-2021, 09:57 PM.

Also, here are a couple frame grabs of what the image looks like with my improvised lamphouse. IMG_7462.jpg IMG_7465.jpg

Comment

Working...
    X