Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lamphouse Alignment - Soft focus caused by loose cathode support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lamphouse Alignment - Soft focus caused by loose cathode support?

I am trying to find the source of minor focus imperfections in our changeover booth. Both projectors have an identical equipment, but I am noticing a softness more on projector 2 than projector 1:

Century C (4 inch barrel)
    Century R3 Reproducer
    Xenex L-1000
    Lamp: Osram XBO 2000W/HS OFR
    Lenses: ISCO 85mm (FLAT), ISCO 110mm with ISCO anamorphic attachment (SCOPE)

I've troubleshooted a few things including: testing between flat & scope lenses & films, swapping lenses between heads, swapping lenses with backup lenses, projecting the same reel on both projectors (to see if the problem follows the reel). I've also applied some tips provided in archived threads like adjusting the film trap alignment, pushed the studio guides out of the way, and checked the lateral guide roller alignment all without any change.

So now I am thinking the cause is the loose cathode support bushings. The (aluminum?) bushings sit slightly loose in the reflector, and the cathode end of the lamp is loose inside the bushing. I can wiggle the cathode end of the lamp a few millimeters or so up down left & right.

I'm wondering if because the bushings are loose, would it be hard to perfectly focus the optics of the lamphouse?

I took some photos with the lamphouses on, projectors on, and no lenses. These scrappy smartphone pictures might help:

Second... does anyone know where I can track down a used or new (old) stock set of cathode supports for my lamps?

Thank you in advance for your interest & advice!

JT
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

it's been a long time but I don't think what you're seeing is caused by the lamp being loose in the lamphouse. It's more likely the whole lamphouse/mirror/lamp assembly which requires alignment - using mechanical means, align-o-tron or similar devilries.

The thing is that I don't remember the "sharpness" being a requirement when focussing a lamp without the lens - are you referring to the black round circle in the middle? I remember using the "no lens" method to mechanically centre the lamp with the mirror - the small with the large shadow - then I would put the lens back and play with the focus until the brightness was uniform and not too much light was lost.

My favourite method was with lens on though: de-focus the lamp enough to see a "light ball" in the middle (just a bit, not a lot) and then adjust X and Y to centre that light on the screen. Finally, adjust focus to make that even. Clearly you need to be careful not to burn your lens.

Comment

Greeting JT and welcome PLAYHOUSE

I have an manual align-o-tron and lasar alignment tool to lend you.... free.... and I am more or less local.

Beyond the LAMPHOUSE ... I'd assume your issue could be matching your two lens. But ROBERTS FILM SERVICE in Montreal has loads of 35mm parts

Allan Barnes
      Starlite Drive In Theatre (Grand Bend)

Comment

Kniesley lamphouses can play tricks with getting good focus
        I suspect that the lamphouse is slightly skewed

Comment

Working...
        X