Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » Schindler's List (1993)

Author Topic: Schindler's List (1993)
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-22-2006 04:17 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Schindler's List" (1993)
10 reels (ten reels)
1.85:1 Flat [*]
DTS Stereo / DTS (no SRD, no SDDS)
(Presumably "DTS Stereo" is Dolby SR compatible; see below)
Early prints on a tape-spliced combination of black-and-white and color acetate stocks.
Later release prints were on color stock throughout.
Conventional redeveloped silver analog soundtrack
Deluxe Lab
Universal Studios
Amblin Entertainment (Steven Spielberg)

There are 18 seconds of music following the last credit (Amblin
Entertainment), followed by 3 seconds of silence, followed by the
rating. Please don't cut off the music.

Nice tasteful black DTS discs:

-

[*] Our print is stickered with studio/lab inspection labels (NBC Universal/Mike Feinberg) that label the print 1.33:1, and the cans are also so-labeled.

=== Print-specific info
Universal studio print #756 (Bel Air -type markings)
Kodak Color Vision 2383 ESTAR-base stock only (no BW stock).
Print quality excellent; struck 9-8-2005 on 2005-datecode stock. Some slight color variation is noticable across reel changeovers.
Lab changeover cues.

=== A/R Commentary
Because of the above aspect-ratio markings, I asked in the FHF about this. See the thread, Schindler's List Aspect Ratio.

quote: Bill Gabel provided authorative information from the LA release:
posted 07-21-2006 06:25 PM CT (US)

When I opened it in Los Angeles First Run, we played it 1.85. All my prints were E.K. Showprints and the TAP sheet had it Flat 1.85.

quote: Brad Miller also noted:
posted 07-21-2006 08:01 PM CT (US)

Bill is correct. I played 2 EK showprints and a regular release print and all 3 were 1.85

It is certainly safe for 1.66:1 projection.

=== Film stock commentary
There has been some discussion of the issues associated with mixing of color and black-and-white stock in the original release of Schindler's List in other threads. Many theatres had problems with focus under high-wattage lamps because black-and-white stock absorbs more heat than color dyes. There were also shedding issues.

Summary:
===See the DTS Stereo thread for a discussion of "DTS Stereo." Most likely it is SR-compatible (we played it in DTS and did not evaluate).

Search terms: schindlers list, shinler's list, schinlers list

[Edit: added image of DTS disc]

[ 07-24-2006, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: John Hawkinson ]

|  IP: Logged

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-11-2008 10:54 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 537 days since the last post.

Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2008 10:54 AM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone run Schindler's List with an intermission and does anyone remember where the intermission is? I assume it will be at the end of one of the reels?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-11-2008 12:34 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw a print of this film there was a letter from the producers in one of the cans requesting that, if at all possible, it should be run without an intermission. Unfortunately, in this case it wasn't possible, as the cinema had only a single 35mm projector with a tower and it wasn't possible to fit the whole film on a tower spool. It was about three hours fifteen minutes. I can't remember if there was an intermission caption on one of the reels for use in this situation. This was one of the original triacetate prints; black and white print stock was Agfa, from Kodak neg. I'm not sure about the colour sections. The black and white looked very good.

System Notices

- posted 09-03-2009 08:03 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 601 days since the last post.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-03-2009 08:03 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"DTS Stereo" should be played with A-Type NR, not SR.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-03-2009 11:15 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
"DTS Stereo" should be played with A-Type NR, not SR.
The linked discussion above shows a DTS representative saying otherwise (namely saying that DTS Stereo can be either A-Type or SR and that most of the time it is the latter).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-03-2009 11:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"DTS Stereo" just means a digital stereo disc instead of a 5.1 channel disc for DTS Stereo players.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-04-2009 09:10 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe you are going back TOO far in history. The "stereo" discs were only made for the first few titles and all of those machines were later upgraded to "6 track". They are referring to the analog tracks.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2009 09:35 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall, the first DTS releases (1993) featured Dolby A on the optical soundtrack. Eventually, the "back-up" optical track was just called "DTS Stereo." So, if you played Apollo 13 back in 1995 your only option for digital sound was DTS and your only option for optical sound was a Dolby-compatible, surround-encoded "DTS Stereo" soundtrack. Then someone finally figured out that studios shouldn't have exclusive deals to support just one digital sound format.

Brad is correct that the first few DTS releases had a 2-channel, surround encoded digital soundtrack option so that more theatres could afford to "upgrade" to digital and simply process the sound through their existing "4-track surround" systems. I saw Jurrasic Park this way at a theatre which, just one year earlier, was still showing things like Far and Away in 70mm... but they never showed anything in 70mm again (and the building is now a health club). [thumbsdown]

[/off topic]

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-11-2009 02:00 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care WHO said it. I can't agree with the idea that "it could be A or SR." That's like saying "it could be flat or it could be scope." Sorry, but no. It's either one format or the other. Sure, you could playback via an SR decoder (or mono!) and you'd get sound in the theatre but it ain't necessarily gonna be right.

(I wonder what Dolby would have to say about that.)

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-11-2009 07:00 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No chit-chat.

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-11-2009 10:37 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh!

System Notices

- posted 10-25-2017 05:13 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2966 days since the last post.

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-25-2017 05:13 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And now, the DCP...

1.85 AR / 5.1 / 2K
TRT 3:14:59

Credit Offset 3:08:41
Last Credit "From Amblin Entertainment" (ftb) 3:14:32
**MUSIC CONTINUES ON BLACK to 3:14:53**

MPAA rating at 3:14:53 until end

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: