In the storage room next to the booth is this carbon arc spot. The
theatre switched to modern xenon bulb spots when it was bought by the city
The booth contains 2 1935 Simplex projectors with Peerless carbon arc
lamp houses. The theatre originally opened with Vitaphone and some of the
rheostat controls for that system are still in place in a room off of the
booth. The projectors are rarely used now as the theatre is a performing
arts center. They still worked when they were last fired up 2 years ago.
In the basement are two DC generators which are in very good condition. In
the background you can see the bathroom. A very luxurious house, the
bathroom has a door on it, instead of just a toilet in the room!
In the same storage room we find the slide projector, alas someone
chucked the glass slides out a few years ago! This room also contains
several carbon arc projector lamp housings from other shuttered downtown
houses. Dean, the head projectionist, salvaged them so that he would have
parts when needed.
The grand foyer stairs to the mezzanine and balcony straight ahead, go
left to enter the hallway behind the main floor.
Wonderful shot of the auditorium from under the projection booth
overhang. The auditorium seats 1901 currently, down from the original 1945
when the theatre opened in 1928.
Marquee of the Paramount Theatre- replica marquee installed in 1987
Reverse view of the booth. To the right, the motorized rewinder sits on
top of the asbestos lined film safe.
Ticket lobby, marble base is original from 1928, the pagoda top was
restored to the base in 1983. The booth is only used for same day ticket
sales, all advanced sales are handled by the Ticketmaster office in the city
The console of the original 1928 Wurlitzer on its lift, at stage level.