The Avalon was built in 1922 and has been owned by several chains. The previous owner (Loews-Cineplex) ran the theatre into the ground, closed it and did a "slash and burn" job. The Avalon was renovated and reopened in 2003 by a community group, The Avalon Theatre Project. The presentation is now much improved.
March 2005 photo from the George Roher collection.