Dumb Money (2023)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Money (2023)

(Screened at the Rocky Mountain Theatre Convention in Salt Lake City)

This is one of those movies that you really need to know "what happened" before you can understand "what happens" in the movie. In other words, if you don't know the whole GameStop stock phenomenon story, including how it happened, why it happened, and the ramifications of it for the public at large, you still won't know any of that after watching this movie, because it is an incomprehensible mess, or at least it was that way to me. I'm not even going to recount the story because I'm not sure how to tell it. Maybe someone else will chime in about that.

I really wanted to like this movie because I was fascinated by the backstory. But the movie's characters are shallow and poorly drawn, and the often-mumbled, rapid-fire, F-bomb laden dialogue moves at such a clip that it's hard to understand what's being said, let alone what they're getting at. You're supposed to get the impression that these people are smart and savvy. Why wouldn't they be, if they're playing the stock market? Instead, the movie left me with the impression that they were a bunch of foul-mouthed slackers who fell backwards into a pot of gold and barely knew enough to feel lucky.

The language in this movie is really horrible. To the point of distraction. Very few sentences pass without at least one "fuck." Is this the way smart young people talk these days? (I fear the answer is yes, because there's a bar next to my theater and this is how the patrons thereof talk when they come outside for a smoke.) Cut it out, young people. That word, while useful in many circumstances, does not need to be in every fucking sentence you utter.

I generally like movies that have to do with business or the stock market or things like that, but this one left me cold. 1.5 out of 5 stars from me.

Fuck all of those fucking fucks who fucking can't fucking talk without fucking swearing since just because you fucking know that the fucking word "fuck" can be fucking used as almost any fucking part of fucking speech in the fucking English language without fucking up anyone's understanding of the fucking purpose or the fucking meaning of a fucking sentence it still fucking doesn't have to fucking be fucking included in every fucking sentence.

Hmm.. I think that's grammatically correct thoughout.

Or did I fuck it up?

Comment

How should I know? I'm no fucking linguist.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
        How should I know? I'm no fucking linguist.
        I've been told I'm a cunning linguist, which makes no sense since I pitch for the other team.

And of course you have Metallica's "Cunning Stunts" concert, which we all know what they are really saying. But what do you expect from a band where the lead singer wrote a song about his manhood? ("Until It Sleeps")

In the novel I am writing, I have a smart snowboarder who drops f-bombs rapid fire. In writing the book, I've had to imply it many times, because when I wrote out some parts in full, the repeated use of "fuck" really breaks the tempo of one's reading. Frank demonstrated that clearly in his post.

On a similar note, hearing the same word (or name) spoken repeatedly is also very jarring.. I have been watching "Merlin" episodes and it really stands out there. (That, and Bradley James is super hot, AND he is the perfect embodiment of my novel's snowboarder character...)

Comment

Ah, ya bunch of amateurs :

Or maybe this works:https://youtu.be/mdrNKxvkiDY?si=KMjvYp-UpxtEWH2S

Comment

I just noticed I started this thread in the wrong forum, it should be in the Reviews forum. Can a moderator move it please and thank you?

Comment

You want use and abuse of the 'effinheimer? Ride a middle school bus. Hilarious and depressing at the same time.

Comment

I know - one of my concession people has kept a running list of obscene but funny (to him) things "people have said in class." Not to the teacher, to each other. Like you say, hilarious and depressing.

Comment

I just noticed I started this thread in the wrong forum, it should be in the Reviews forum. Can a moderator move it please and thank you?
                  Hmm, maybe I need to get some attention. JOE BIDEN! DONALD TRUMP! POLICITICS! RELIGION! Did that work?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley
                    I really wanted to like this movie because I was fascinated by the backstory. But...
                    Interesting: that was precisely my reaction after just seeing the trailer! At the end of it, I decided that I wasn't going to make any special effort to see the movie. If it's streaming for free on Amazon Slime in six months' time, I might give it a try, but I'm not going to go any further than that.

For me, it's the complete opposite of Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room. I tried to read the book on an insomnia-plagued eastbound (i.e. overnight) transatlantic flight in the early '00s (impulse buy in the airside mall), but ran aground with it, because it dived to an economic and math level that was beyond my SCUBA ability. I actually managed to fall semi-asleep in an economy class middle seat on a DC-10 thanks to that book, which is saying something! So I had high hopes for the movie being able to make the sequence of events more understandable for someone who isn't an economist, and to be fair, it was interesting to see some of the actual characters in the flesh. But it's a tough ask to make a subject like that into a riveting movie, and I didn't think that the filmmakers quite rose to the occasion. A financial scandal movie that combines the detail of that with the Hollywoodization of Margin Call would be perfect, but, AFAIK, it has not, as yet, been done.

Comment

And back to the f-bombs subject, in my other thread http://www.film-tech.com/vbb/forum/f...a-9-year-break I had my iPod freeze up on the wrong playlist where it decided 7:15am was a great time (with no bikes running and people barely awake) to play a song full of f-bombs. I got a radio call from the boss about it saying he had some complaints texted to him.

I strive to keep my announcing shows very clean (I won't even say "damn" or "hell" on the mic) and this really pissed me off. I am now trying to find a media player (for USB) where I can have separate physical media for use at the track. So far the only things I find are cheap ones with horrible reviews or ones that work great, but are around $300. Anyone know of, and have actually used, any media players other than iPod, that are under say $100? I need reasonable price and reliable. (I'll start another thread on the media player, so please reply there.)

Mike, I think Brad's been too busy to move this over.

Comment

Working...
                      X