• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Los Angeles County imposes more restrictions, effective Monday Nov 30

Story here.

Originally posted by Article
    Here’s what is different come Monday:
    • Gatherings: All public and private gatherings with individuals not in your household are prohibited, except for church services and protests, which are constitutionally protected rights.
    • Occupancy limits at various businesses; all individuals at these sites are required to wear face coverings and keep at least 6 feet of distance:
      • Essential retail – 35% maximum occupancy
      • Non-essential retail (includes indoor malls) – 20% maximum occupancy
      • Personal care services – 20% maximum occupancy
      • Libraries – 20% maximum occupancy
      • Fitness centers operating outdoors – 50% maximum occupancy
      • Museums galleries, zoos, aquariums, botanical gardens operating outdoors – 50% maximum occupancy
      • Mini-golf, batting cages, go-kart racing operating outdoors – 50% maximum occupancy
    • Outdoor recreation activities all which require face coverings (except for swimming) and distancing:
      • Beaches, trails, and parks remain open; gatherings at these sites with members outside your household are prohibited.
      • Golf courses, tennis courts, pickleball, archery ranges, skate parks, bike parks, and community gardens remain open for individuals or members of a single household. Pools that serve more than one household may open only for regulated lap swimming with one person per lane.
      • Drive-in movies/events/car parades are permitted provided occupants in each car are members of one household.
    • Schools:
      • All schools and day camps remain open adhering to re-opening protocols. K-12 Schools and Day Camps with an outbreak (3 cases or more over 14 days) should close for 14 days.
    • Closed non-essential businesses/activities:
      • Playgrounds (with the exception of playgrounds at childcare and schools)
      • Cardrooms
    Thankfully, I don't think this is going to make much difference to the cinema situation: indoor theaters in LA County never re-opened since March anyways, and this is not going to affect the drive-ins (including three that I service) still hanging on. The 10pm curfew imposed last week did whack the drive-ins a bit, but at least they can still just get two shows into an evening, because it's now dark by around 5.

A regular customer of mine came in tonight to buy some popcorn to go. (That's a regular thing for him.)

I asked him what he's planning to do for Christmas this year since I know he usually takes part in one of those big family feast things and the new rules released today don't allow any more than five people in a house unless more than five actually live there. He has a wife and three kids. He told me that he can't do anything for Christmas under these rules, but he pointed out that his wife interacts all day every day with her brother and her father at the hardware store and it's interesting that this is allowed but the very same people can't come to his house at all.

I'm glad that it's not up to me to write these rules. There are all kinds of unintended consequences and interactions that can't be accounted for no matter what kinds of restrictions they put on things. And they seem to change the rules at the drop of a hat -- what's perfectly ok to do today can get you a big fine tomorrow.

Comment

I guess the reasoning is that, while at work, you implement social distancing measures or if that isn't possible, you wear masks and other protective equipment. At home, you can't expect people to live under those same restrictions.

But yeah, a lot of those rules are pretty counter-intuitive. I tend to work and live in three countries. I can see Belgium from here and Germany is equally just a stone's throw away. All those countries implement different rules and technically, if I cross the border, I need to go into a 10 day quarantine, except if I cross the border and I'm back within 24 hours or so... In practice, it only makes limited sense, but it's the government's way to try to limit movement, without entirely killing the economy...

Comment

This whole thing has reaffirmed my extreme gladness to live in a small town in the middle of Montana. Our health department has really been sensible and really considers the needs of the people and businesses. Just the fact that we're naturally spread apart has probably helped more than anything. (No crowded stores, elevators, subways, buses, etc.)

Comment

San Francisco is also threatening to impose another complete "Stay-At-Home" lockdown. A partial curfew goes into effect here tonight too (Nov 30).
          Most of the theaters here in SF have remained closed since March due to extreme capacity restrictions and not being allowed to sell any concessions, making it unprofitable for them to do business. I walked past two cinema venues today that had recently re-opened, and both have re-shut their doors and posted big signs which say " CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE". A press release issued by The City today specifically mentions indoor Gyms & Movie Theaters as being officially prohibited from doing business. They are contemplating banning outdoor dining, but there are several groups threatening legal action if they try that. Are we having fun yet?

☞I actually believe I'm beginning to show signs of pandemic-dementia, caused by a lack of brain activity due to not working, and watching too many cat videos.
          Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 11-30-2020, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X