Telefilm Canada - COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telefilm Canada - COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund

On July 7, 2020, the Government of Canada unveiled the final components of the second and last phase of the Emergency Support Fund, including namely an additional investment of $1,755,000 to be distributed by Telefilm for movie theatres that show Canadian films
    Announcement here: https://telefilm.ca/en/financing/cov...ilm-allocation

Guidelines here: https://telefilm.ca/wp-content/uploa...elefilm-fv.pdf

In order to be eligible it appears that a theatre has to have played at least one "Canadian Feature Film" sometime between April 1, 2017 and March 31, 2020.

“Canadian Feature Film” is defined as a fictional or documentary film of 75 minutes or more that has : (i) obtained a minimum of 6 out of 10 points (or 60% of the points) from the Canadian Audio-Visual Certification Office (CAVCO), or (ii) received a preliminary or final recommendation by Telefilm as an audiovisual coproduction governed by a Canadian treaty.

The payout is $5000 per theatre location (to a maximum of $50,000 per company) with an additional $11,000 payout if the theatre is owned by a member of an underrepresented group. "Underrepresented Groups” are defined as the following groups in the audiovisual industry: indigenous, LGBTQ2+, official language minority communities, persons with disabilities, racialized persons/visible minorities and women.

Did you check if you played a "Canadian feature film" in the target period?

Also, I had to look up what they mean with LGBTQ2+, as in, what the 2+ entails... Essentially, the + is everybody that wasn't explicitly mentioned in the "LGBTQ2" part, so I guess everybody qualifies for that requirement?

Comment

I did.

Little Italy, Sept 14-20, 2018.

There might be (probably are) more than that, but since the website says you need only one I stopped looking after I found Little Italy.

Unless there's a hidden gotcha in the fine print, I think I'm entitled to $5000 from this thing.

And there is. I just got an email from the Telefilm outfit saying that in order to qualify for this thing you must be incorporated. Melville Theatre is just a registered business name but is not a corporation so I guess I'm out of luck.

Comment

Sounds like this thing is highly discriminatory and specific about exact guidelines. Around here, everybody operating a business on his/her own title also qualifies as being incorporated. Besides personal liability, I also don't see the difference between a "corporation" and a business executed on personal title.

What's the purpose of this thing? Giving the big guys that can somehow make all the boxes "check" a little bonus or do they want to help the small guy? For a small shop like you, I guess $5000 extra can make a difference between hanging in there for another month or not, for a multiplex it's just a drop on a hot plate....

Comment

I wonder if DRIVE IN THEATRES are covered and if SHAZAM / SHAPE of WATER is Canadian "approved" content ?

Comment

Working...
          X