No announcement yet.

Opened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We bought lots and lots of pylons. Orange to block of a "pedestrian zone" around the snack bar, Neon Green to show folks where to stand for bathrooms or concession order or pick-up. Seems to be working fine. The "retro" double-features are popular enough, though it's probably mostly that coming out feels as normal as can be versus other venues. We raised our prices a buck, but only because we were due for that. The reduced capacity hurts us for sure, though the low film rents offset it. Normal sized weeknight crowds are still possible. Serving this sized crowd is easy for us and everyone feels safe. I would highly suggest trying double-features at indoors if they're letting you, it's worth a try. Per Caps are where they should be at this point. How will we end up? Hard to say, we're certainly down in sales, but much lower film rents. I see Tenet is delayed again. Honestly, I don't think we can make money on new product with these capacity limits, we really rely on those Friday and Saturday night bigger crowds. I will say it's been very interesting to look at it from such a different angle. The glory days of drive-ins with these low film rents plus big crowds (and cash only) every weekend must have been something! I don't see capacity limits lifting before the fall. Hope they do if Hollywood starts releasing again, otherwise we'd likely be best shutting down when summer's over.

Comment

Originally posted by David Bird View Post
      Marcel,
      We found a number of apps and tested one that has been integrated into our current POS system. In the end, the drive-ins here ended up getting the runaround from authorities, or I should say, mostly silence in response to our being able to fully comply with all regulations in place for all other existing and new pop-up food businesses, that I believe all have simply opened. In our case, we are completely off limits to customers and serving via take-out window with a sign stating that customers must "deliver all food back to their vehicles to enjoy there". One place is doing a "drive-thru" at their snack bar, some have adapted take-out windows, most have simply installed plexi at the service counter and limited the number of folks inside. Another wrinkle for those places today as the province has mandated masks at all indoor places of business open to the public. Not enforceable by the human rights act, threat of fines from gov't if businesses don't, not an "order" by gov't, but an "instruction", people aren't obliged to wear but can be fined if they are "continually" found not to wear. VERY confusing. We don't believe it applies to us with no customers inside, but how the hell would we know?
      The app solution could avoid people pooling at the concession stand and "direct-to-car-delivery" could also have quite some advertising value and the ease of ordering something may even increase revenue. Obviously, you need the infrastructure and sufficient people to be able to pull it off.

As for the "legal aspects": What I've seen around here is that there is some leeway with most authorities, as rules often aren't entirely clear and remain a moving target. In the end, it's about keeping people safe and it's the results that count.

I would highly suggest trying double-features at indoors if they're letting you, it's worth a try. Per Caps are where they should be at this point. How will we end up? Hard to say, we're certainly down in sales, but much lower film rents. I see Tenet is delayed again. Honestly, I don't think we can make money on new product with these capacity limits, we really rely on those Friday and Saturday night bigger crowds.
      I think I mentioned it before in another post, but I like the idea of re-introducing the double feature. I doubt that current imposed limits are a problem for indoor locations to do just this. A double feature is a nice way to increase concession sales.

Hope they do if Hollywood starts releasing again, otherwise we'd likely be best shutting down when summer's over
      No major studio is currently shooting anything, so besides a very limited number of movies that was already in post-production, there is very little A-material in the pipeline. Even if studios start shooting again in e.g. September (and nobody will currently commit to that date), it will take a few months before this materializes into full releases. So, I'm afraid we're a bit stuck with recycling old stuff.

But it's not all that bad. Studios may see the need to release some of their well-kept classics to the screen to at least generate some revenue and you may actually build a following of people who like seeing classic releases back on the big screen.

Comment

Working...
      X