Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Developing A Game Show for our Stage. Will it sell tickets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing A Game Show for our Stage. Will it sell tickets?

This year is going to be ROUGH for independent theater owners. We have ONE screen. We're tired of being dependent on studios that are bought & sold every other year.

We have a 25 foot stage. Its large enough for a small live event. Like... a Game Show.

Here's a short list of what we're planning:

A small PA system (separate from the theater system) I have already purchased this. Includes about 10 microphones, stands, 16 ch mixer, 2 powered speakers, 1 powered monitor.

1 podium for the host

This part is kind of up in the air. We could either have 3-4 individual contestants.. or TWO teams of 4, seated at a table.

How do they buzz in?

With these: https://buzzersystems.com/

image.png

How will we keep score?

With this device I programmed. It features an LED RGB matrix which can be pointed to ANY online data source. If you know the Python programming language you can program these. I can code, so this isn't quite a leap.

The great part about this device is that you can update the scores via your phone or tablet.

The game will require:
    1. A host
    2. Conestants
    3. Score keeper
    4. Possibly someone to run the PA but I can't see it changing once you set it. (I used to run these as well)

So now the BIG question:

Will people pay to see their friends on a quiz show?
    Attached Files

Sounds fun. But if you have a stage you should consider putting yourself on a site like gigster.com you might be able to generate some decent rental revenue.

Comment

Another idea to look into would be using your BIG SCREEN for gamers. I'm not completely up on all the requisite technology to accomplish it, but I've seen that gamers do get together for either live (i.e., vs. each other) or live virtual (i.e., vs. online competitors) gaming. The thing about it is, they compete in teams, have groups and tournaments and (so I hear) can go on for (apparently) hours. The combination of your large screen (for which you've got your digital projector, and presumably a decent sound system, so you're good to go...) and being an independent venue, you should not be locked into restrictive exhibition contracts that require x-number of performances to be run per day, etc. And while the participants are sitting there doing their competitive thing, their adrenaline is running high and they crave ... snacks. How convenient -- you have a nice snack bar right handy, with (I assume) items like fresh popcorn and other goodies. And you don't have to pay distribution rights for any of this income! It might be something to look into. Your location is listed as "Illinois", which has some large cities, but some small towns, too. We don't know whether you're in a city, or a small town, but if you've got at least a local population of around 10,000, you may well have the nucleus of a gamer crowd nearby. FWIW, the annual revenue of the gaming industry by itself, overall, far exceeds the combined annual revenues of both the movie and music industries together. Here's one article: https://gamerhub.co.uk/gaming-indust...ment-industry/ Any basic web search will bring forth many similar articles. You could have (for example) selected nights per week dedicated to gaming, and other nights dedicated to movies.

Comment

If you have not done so already, I'd look into equipping yourself for Zoom/Team/etc type rentals. It would appear that more and more, companies are seeking larger spaces for their meetings and depending on the theatre's location, size and capabilities, this could be another revenue stream for otherwise down-time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Seipel View Post
          <edited>

The game will require:
          1. A host
          2. Conestants
          3. Score keeper
          4. Possibly someone to run the PA but I can't see it changing once you set it. [/B]
          You left something off your list: PRIZES! (and who will supply or pay for them?)

Also, not to throw cold water on your idea, but back in the days when theaters were holding all
          sorts of contests & give-aways to counter the effect TV was having on them, old theatrical
          publications were full of stories about district attorneys in in various parts of the county going
          after theater owners because they didn't have a 'gaming license', or in states where no license
          was required, because whatever contest they were running didn't follow the precise rules of
          what legally defined a 'contest' or 'lottery', etc and so were declared 'illegal' gaming or gambling.
          Now to this very day, I've been to or worked at theaters that held trivia contests and various 'raffles'
          where a ticket number was pulled at random and the winner won something or other. I personally
          think those events are harmless fun. But there are people out there who think otherwise . . .
          (Mostly local county DA's & tax officials) It's just something to consider. In some cities, even
          churches that hold a BINGO night for charity are required to have some sort of permit and file
          tax documents related to the game. So you may just want to check out the regulations in your area.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul H. Rayton View Post
            Another idea to look into would be using your BIG SCREEN for gamers. I'm not completely up on all the requisite technology to accomplish it, but I've seen that gamers do get together for either live (i.e., vs. each other) or live virtual (i.e., vs. online competitors) gaming. The thing about it is, they compete in teams, have groups and tournaments and (so I hear) can go on for (apparently) hours. The combination of your large screen (for which you've got your digital projector, and presumably a decent sound system, so you're good to go...) and being an independent venue, you should not be locked into restrictive exhibition contracts that require x-number of performances to be run per day, etc. And while the participants are sitting there doing their competitive thing, their adrenaline is running high and they crave ... snacks. How convenient -- you have a nice snack bar right handy, with (I assume) items like fresh popcorn and other goodies. And you don't have to pay distribution rights for any of this income! It might be something to look into. Your location is listed as "Illinois", which has some large cities, but some small towns, too. We don't know whether you're in a city, or a small town, but if you've got at least a local population of around 10,000, you may well have the nucleus of a gamer crowd nearby. FWIW, the annual revenue of the gaming industry by itself, overall, far exceeds the combined annual revenues of both the movie and music industries together. Here's one article: https://gamerhub.co.uk/gaming-indust...ment-industry/ Any basic web search will bring forth many similar articles. You could have (for example) selected nights per week dedicated to gaming, and other nights dedicated to movies.
            Its funny you mention gaming.

In 2016, I suggested this very thing and the then-chairman said it was a 'waste of the projector bulb'.

Logistically, I am trying to think how we'd do this. Assuming we could pipe a laptop into the projector. Its been done before. The players would likely have to join the game 'online'. Lots to think about here.

We are 30 miles SW of Peoria. Central IL. 3 hours south of Chicago. A town of 2000 but surrounding community of 100k.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cassedy View Post

You left something off your list: PRIZES! (and who will supply or pay for them?)

Also, not to throw cold water on your idea, but back in the days when theaters were holding all
              sorts of contests & give-aways to counter the effect TV was having on them, old theatrical
              publications were full of stories about district attorneys in in various parts of the county going
              after theater owners because they didn't have a 'gaming license', or in states where no license
              was required, because whatever contest they were running didn't follow the precise rules of
              what legally defined a 'contest' or 'lottery', etc and so were declared 'illegal' gaming or gambling.
              Now to this very day, I've been to or worked at theaters that held trivia contests and various 'raffles'
              where a ticket number was pulled at random and the winner won something or other. I personally
              think those events are harmless fun. But there are people out there who think otherwise . . .
              (Mostly local county DA's & tax officials) It's just something to consider. In some cities, even
              churches that hold a BINGO night for charity are required to have some sort of permit and file
              tax documents related to the game. So you may just want to check out the regulations in your area.
              A gaming license/permit. An excellent point I had not even considered.

Comment

How about having a comedy night? Hire a comedian... Open mic night... All that. '

...churches that hold a BINGO night for charity are required to have some sort of permit...
                In PA, it's called "Small Games of Chance." (Bingo, Raffles, Strip-tickets, etc.) In PA, most places are allowed to operate one small games of chance event per year without need of a permit. If you want to have more than that, you just go down to the courthouse, fill out a form and pay the fee.
                Last edited by Randy Stankey; 01-18-2024, 11:47 AM.

Comment

There's a difference in gaming licenses required for charities and non-profit organizations and for-profit organizations.

A license may not be available for the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post
                    There's a difference in gaming licenses required for charities and non-profit organizations and for-profit organizations.

A license may not be available for the latter.
                    Our theater is FOR-PROFIT. So I may need to speak with someone at the County since we may do this once a month.

Comment

There are (or at least there used to be) bingo halls around here that were, I think, privately operated.

The way that they worked was that they would rent the venue, equipment and staff to non-profits and charities. So tonight's bingo was for Our Lady of Whatzit and tomorrow's bingo was for the Society for the Preservation of Blind Gerbils.

It's my understanding (though I could be wrong since I never paid much attention to it) that they rented the "night" for a fixed amount and the charity would then get the (variable) profits from the games and concession sales. I guess that fixed rental rate was enough to keep the doors open for as long as they managed to keep the doors open anyway.

I do know that there are endless regulations and reporting requirements surrounding anything to do with lotteries and gaming regardless of who is doing it.

Comment

Pub-quizes are pretty popular around here and so are movie quizzes. You let the audience form teams that contest each other over movie-related questions and at the end you provide a small price. If you require some kind of license if you provide prizes, depends on your local jurisdiction. Around here, if you keep the price value low, so it's more a token of appreciation rather than a real target to win, then it's usually not something that requires an extra license. It's also not the kind of event that attracts hard-core gamblers.

We're actually currently in the development of a movie quiz beta. We're going to test it using an app, which allows contestants to answer via their phone, live results on-screen etc. It also should ensure people aren't using their phone for other stuff, like searching for the correct answer via Google or ChatGPT. But it requires some stuff to work correctly, so it will be interesting to see how it works in a fully-loaded room, given all the stuff that can go wrong.

But such a setup can also be done relatively low-tech, where you print out a bunch of answer forms per round and provide all contesting teams with the forms and a pen or pencil. Contesting teams write their answers on the forms and after each round you collect the forms from those teams, you so need someone other than the presenter to roam the room. You can also ask the teams to deliver their forms to a collection point, but this usually generates a lot more chaos between rounds. The only disadvantage in a cinema is that not every cinema really has a neat, hard surface to write on for every seat, so that might be some point of concern.

The costs for organizing such a movie-quiz can be off-set by charging an entry fee and for the exhibitor it's a great opportunity to sell concessions and fill a room on an otherwise slow day. It's also a nice form of marketing for your venue, as you often attract people that would otherwise not pay a visit.

Another thing that might be worth exploring if you're going to organize entertainment events and if not already done so, is getting a liquor license.

Comment

I've read about copyright issue from game studios attempting to bill "game contests" or tournaments on specific games. Some are trying to work around it by billing their events differently... such as a cosplay fashion show, where people just also happen to play a game for a live audience.

Simulcasting major E-Sports events would be another route to go in that space. But those audiences are used to watching that content at home streaming... would definitely have to be paired with some in person activities that draw people such as cosplay or market vendors, or a known gaming personality/influencer doing a live play in a "let's play" type of context... the audience just watches them play and experience a title.

Comment

I serviced a chain of theaters in Wyoming that put big sports stuff on one of their screens. Of course watching the sports was free, but the catered dinner that went with it is what you paid for. They did quite well doing this when I was servicing their stuff...

Comment

I really like the "Dinner Theater" idea.

Years ago, I went to the American Theater in Charleston, SC.

https://www.pphgcharleston.com/venue...rican-theater/

That was in the early 2000's and, back then, the place was mostly like a regular theater with a cabaret style arrangement where the waitstaff took your orders and brought your food right to the table. The menu consisted of standard fare like hamburgers, pizza and wings. They also served beer. The entire movie played with the theater at half-light but it was still a decent show and the food was as good as you could expect in a setting like that.

When I was there, the place wasn't packed by any means but there were, maybe a dozen groups, averaging two to four people, each. Probably thirty or forty heads, total. Consider that the average tab came to something like $20 to $30 per person, they probably took in $1,000 worth of food sales during just one show. I don't know what their overhead costs were but I can't imagine it's any worse than a regular restaurant without movies. All together, it seemed like they were doing decent business.

Checking back on their website, it looks like the American Theater has become a wedding and events venue, available for private parties and the like. From the looks of their website, they don't seem like a "regular" theater, anymore but, given the way the theater business is going, it's probably a good way to step up their game, so to speak.

Do you think that something along these lines would be an option for you?

Comment

Working...
                              X