Closed Captioning equipment problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed Captioning equipment problems

I have a few USL CCR closed captioning devices that for some reason are only syncing up in one theater. Otherwise when I walk into other theaters with them they just continue to display the dummy quotes. From what I understand the receivers are all working or on, their power blocks have an illuminated green light (I'm assuming these are connected to the receivers, I haven't had to deal with this issue before) I've had to refund multiple tickets over the last two days, of course with my rotten luck having not had to use them the last couple of months, its the week where they stop working correctly that I have the most customers asking to use them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first post to the group so take it easy on me if I sound like a noob

1st...can you log into them? If not...either the emitter is not configured, its power isn't making it there (there are status LEDs on it and you would not have audio either.
    2nd, if you can log into them...when the feature (or known test content...NOT TRAILERS) is running...are the captions coming up on that? If not, check your configuration and is the emitter pointing (Ethernet wise) at the respective server's IP address?

3rd, what is the emitter's version? Part of the fallout of the supply chain woes is that some parts have changed on newer displays and you need to have current firmware running on the emitters. 230329 is one of the later ones that should work. Regardless, whomever your supplier is, they should be able to get the latest and greatest from MIT. The latest is fully backwards compatible with earlier displays.

Comment

The dummy quotes indicate that the receiver is not receiving any IR (the latest CCR-100 firmware puts up a message about seeing theater staff instead).

Have a look at the bottom of the IR panel and compare the LEDs to the image at https://hallikainen.org/usl/ftp.usli...Indicators.jpg . The closed caption carrier LED should be lit.

As Steve suggests, try connecting to the IR panel with a web browser. Check the configuration. Make sure it is pointed to the digital cinema server. Make sure the IR carrier is not set to always off.

The latest firmware, which you can receive from MIT puts the log on a web page so you can see what's going on.

Good luck!

Harold

Comment

I've had to replace two of those power supplies in the past 2 years (on two USL different transmitters) -
        One of the things that stymied my troubleshooting a bit, was that the green LED on the power brick
        does not necessarily mean it is putting out the right voltage or amperage. I had one power supply
        and have seen one from another theater that even though the green LED lit OK, it was not putting
        out full voltage. About a month ago, I had a similar thing happen with a similar looking power brick
        from a wireless microphone receiver that started doing strange things. The "output " LED was nice
        & green, but the DC power it was putting out had a huge amount of AC ripple on it when I checked
        it with a scope. My own opinion is that I've learned that all those LED's on the power bricks seem
        to be good for is for indicating that they're plugged into a working wall outlet, and that the LED works
        and that the actual output may or may not be up to specification. That's just my 2¢ worth of opinion.

Comment

okay so after referencing the image https://hallikainen.org/usl/ftp.usli...Indicators.jpg it appears that the main power indicator is blinking red and does not have any green lights illuminated. Where do I go from here?

Comment

Sounds like the external power supply is cycling. They seem to last about 10 years. I'd contact MIT​ for replacements and go from there. That may be all that is required.

Good luck!

Harold

Comment

You could try swapping a power supply from an emitter that you know is working OK to one of the emitters that is causing trouble, and seeing if that fixes it. If it does, you need new power supplies. We (MiT) are back open on Tuesday at 7a Pacific: feel free to email sales {at} movingimagetech.com or call 714 751-7998, specifying that you're after power supply modules for an IRC-28C emitter. I'm 99.9% sure that we have them in stock and could overnight them to you on Tuesday, but Sales would need to confirm that.

Assuming that none of the emitters or receivers have been updated, and that you have not bought any new receivers recently, the firmware mismatch glitch should not be causing you any problem. You will only need to update emitter firmware if and when you buy new readers, and find that they won't work with the emitters in their current state.

Comment

Did a new external power supply resolve the issue?

Harold

Comment

Working...
                X