Seeking advice on new point of sale (POS) computer purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking advice on new point of sale (POS) computer purchase

Our aging POS computers run Windows 8. They are molasses-slow and need to be replaced as soon as possible. In the time since their purchase we've transitioned to a pretty slick and modern POS application that runs on Windows (and in a web browser if we're mobile for events).

I would like help assessing the value of purchasing new computers in the same classic POS style (compact, all-components-on-the-countertop kind of thing), and whether they have advantages over mid-grade laptops that I should be aware of. As far as I know, our POS app will run on virtually any modern computer, but the vendor still recommends $1,300 machines, the specs of which I can hardly wrap my head around. Do they last longer? Can they do more? I have no idea.

Apart from running the POS app, we do want touch-capable screens of a decent size with enough ports to accommodate peripherals (QR scanner/ticket printer/keyboard/mouse) on which our floor staff can also comfortably use the variety of web apps that make administrative tasks easier. Tablets are out of the running for those reasons.

I am probably overthinking it. Thanks in advance for helping me identify my knowledge gaps.

We use the Touch Dynamic POS terminals running Windows 10 with solid state drives and the integrated printer bases. We have 5 terminals at my theatre. Ours were all in the same $1300 range +/-. Two of ours are 2016 models (upgraded) and the other 3 we bought in 2022. We bought ours from our POS vendor @ Sensible Cinema.

Comment

I'd say it depends on what's included in those $1300? If it's just the machine and the screen, then it's probably at the high end of the spectrum, but a POS terminal usually needs more components:

- The machine itself, integrated in a cash register or not
      - Robust touch screen, integrated or not
      - Cash drawer, integrated or not
      - Ticket printer, integrated or not
      - Card/phone/NFC payment terminal, usually not integrated

If you add up all those items, I'd say $1300 will be on the low side.

Keep in mind that a resistive, high-glossy notebook touch screen isn't the same as a POS-terminal touch screen. I see a lot of fancy coffeeshops and whatnots using fancy iPads as POS solutions, but more often than not those things fail once the going gets though and they need to transact at volume. One of my recent lunch orders on such a thing took about 5 trials, 2 restarts and a bluetooth device re-pairing to eventually complete...

Comment

On ours.. the $1300 range just got you the all-in-one computer with the touch screen. Credit card terminals, cash drawer, printers, printer stands, etc. are all additional.

Comment

Does the vendor have requirements/guidelines on the speed/capability of machines running its software?

I'm assuming that they need to run Windows, is that correct? How much RAM and how much disk space does their software require?

You mention that you need to connect various peripherals, but you don't mention how many and how they are connected. That's going to be important when determining how many ports you need of what type.

Assuming that you don't have any requirements that go beyond the "mid-grade laptops" you mentioned in your message, you need to determine what kind of life expectancy you would like from the machines. Do you want to spend less up front and have the flexibility to replace a low-cost machine more often, or do you want to go with a more (hopefully) robust solution that will cost more up front, but should last longer.

If you go with the former choice, how much does it cost you to replace a machine in time and money? Configuring a new laptop isn't instantaneous, but you can minimize the time it takes by keeping a drive image of a known-good install and restoring it on the replacement machine.

Something else to keep in mind is that laptops are intended to be portable and, to an extent, disposable. They are difficult to keep cool, their batteries usually don't like being plugged in all the time, and everything is so compact that overheating is an issue and swapping parts is much more difficult than something built for the purpose.

Once you start loading all those extra things onto the equation, the $1300 may not be so bad after all (assuming that that money is actually getting you something that saves you from the aforementioned risks). Without more information, I can't give you much more than these generalizations, but maybe with more information, we can determine in what direction you can head.

Comment

We have an all-in-one machine in our concession stand that we got from RTS. It's been great - we've had it about 3 years now. I think it was right in that $1300 range but I can't be sure exactly. (Probably different now anyway.) It's nice and compact -- the guts are in the base of the screen, but it still has 4 USB ports. We have a receipt printer, credit card terminal, and cash drawer plugged into it.

I had an all-in-one Dell machine for our office. It didn't last as long as desktops we've had, so when it finally puked we went back to a desktop. I prefer a desktop machine for the o office application, since we use it for ticket sales, bookkeeping, and casual-browsing-when-bored, letter writing and all the usual computer stuff. We have 2 printers, 2 screens, credit card terminal, a soundbar, thumb drive (for transferring keys), barcode scanner, and a webcam all plugged in to this one.

Comment

Sensible Cinema has been around since the DOS days, and are both a first rate company and product.

Comment

I've gotta' put my vote in for Sensible Cinema, too
                It is exactly what it says on the label: Sensible Cinema Software.

Comment

All of your feedback has been extremely helpful! Thank you all.

Comment

Working...
                  X