Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denver Museum of Nature and Science conversion to D3D: How to mangle an IMAX theater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Museum of Nature and Science conversion to D3D: How to mangle an IMAX theater

The Denver Museum of Nature and Science took COVID as an opportunity to convert their former IMAX screen to a "D3D" theater:

New Features include:
    • A new, high gain 2.9 MDI Premium HGA silver 3D cinema screen, which will provide natural and immersive 2D and 3D experiences with projection system.
    • The Infinity Theater has a new surround sound. A premium QSC 5.1 point-source sound system, putting out a combined total of 28,600 watts via 39 speaker drivers.
    • New audio and visual accessibility features, such as a multi-channel surround sound, hearing induction loop and updated closed captioning system.
    • New lobby entrance finishings which will be enhanced even further starting in 2023. Hint: Think lush forest!
    • New concessions area offering popcorn, drinks and sweets.
    • New laser projection system (see D3D Cinema) capable of crystal-clear imaging. The new laser projection system will be able to show both 2D and 3D films.
    • Enhanced programming: In addition to documentaries, we will show Hollywood classic movies, independent movies, livestream concerts and performances, other multimedia shows and have the freedom to use the theater for a variety of other events.
    • More sustainable finishings and procedures (examples include eye glass washing equipment and process, LED lighting, energy efficient projection system).
    Last night they showed Interstellar for the first time since they last showed it in digital IMAX pre-COVID and​… it wasn't great.

First, I do have to give them kudos, the sound was indeed very good and at a nice volume with few to no rattles during scenes with extreme low bass, though I can't say that it went as deep in the bass as their old IMAX audio system did.

However…

1) As soon as you read "high gain 2.9" I think you knew exactly what the screen would look like - you can see the sparkly "grain" of the screen whenever anything of even tone is projected onto it, even their pre-show slides. People probably think it's film grain, but it's obviously not. Also, as you would expect from a high gain screen, the brightness goes from mid-level on the left to bright white in the middle of the screen back to mid-level at the right edgel. A center hot spot for the record books, in scenes with three actors the one in the center looked properly lit and the ones on either side looked like they were slightly in shadow; it wasn't quite as obvious in the planet scenes.

2) Because it's now "D3D" and not IMAX, I don't know where they got the copy they showed, but it looked very much like a 2K upconvert. It was slightly fuzzy, particularly at that size, and in the driving in the corn field sequence you could make out… motion artifacts, aka "blockies." However, it wasn't soft overall; the further you got from the center of the image, the fuzzier it got, so perhaps D3D uses a proprietary upconverson process.

3) The concession area is exactly the same as the old one, regardless of what they say, except they now only sell 12 oz. cans of soda rather than the 20 oz. bottles they used to. Not fun for a near three hour film.

4) The laser projection was good, but there was a distinct dark red line down the far left side of the image for the entire film. There was only one projector, so it wasn't a stacked projector registration issue, no idea of the cause.

Of note is they ran no trailers, or anything. They stopped the slides, the auditorium went dark and the film began. Perhaps because it's only their second "Hollywood Favorites" presentation, but it was kind of nice.

Presentation fun: about half way through the credits, two employees came in, turned on the overhead cleaning lights that also shine directly on the screen, and one could be heard to say aloud (whether she meant to be heard or not) "Could you all just leave now? We need to clean the theater.")

The bottom line is that while it was definitely wonderful to see Interstellar presented at that size again, and I am completely grateful for the experience, compared to their last digital IMAX showing it was decidedly inferior despite (or because of) their conversion to "D3D."

This poorly done photoshop image from D3D's website is actually fairly accurate in its portrayal of the comparative resolution; their site proudly states:

Ever since digital cinema has become a reality for giant-screen theaters, D3D has become an industry leader through the design and integration of digital theater systems in over thirty former IMAX® giant-screens and multiple new build giant-screen venues. D3D systems prove reliable in performance and help expand the utility of the theater with far reaching alternative content packages. Using a holistic and client centric approach, D3D delivers state-of-the-art system designs that are both operator and CFO friendly while providing an unforgettable audience experience.
    ImmersiveStorytelling_Experience_Cleveland.GLSC_.Dome-Image-1-1.jpg

Also from D3D, this statement couldn't be more wrong:

D3D’s first-to-market digital laser solution for Giant Dome theaters, replaces existing 15/70 film projection systems while providing a superior audience experience in every way. Now in its second generation, the sophisticated digital laser system features Christie’s state-of-the-art projection and playback systems – offering ultra-high 6K resolution and supreme contrast ratios. The dazzling laser projectors are capable of delivering up to 150,000 lumens on the dome with a brilliant expanded dynamic range and color gamut, along with meticulous focus and light uniformity far beyond the capabilities of film-based and xenon-illuminated projection systems.

Comment

A bunch of people with their feet up on the front railing.

Comment

Look at people in ALL the rows with their necks craned up. That would be the most uncomfortable viewing experience ever. Anytime we've been in one of those "giant" screens like a real Imax, I've always insisted we sit at least halfway up or higher. They shouldn't sell those bottom three or four rows.

Comment

Originally posted by William Kucharski View Post
          As soon as you read "high gain 2.9" I think you knew exactly what the screen would look like - you can see the sparkly "grain" of the screen whenever anything of even tone is projected onto it, even their pre-show slides. People probably think it's film grain, but it's obviously not.
          What you witnessed is called laser speckle and it happens when coherent light creates interference patterns. You need some kind of diffusion to hide it, unfortunately, high-gain screens aren't the best diffusers...

Because it's now "D3D" and not IMAX, I don't know where they got the copy they showed, but it looked very much like a 2K upconvert. It was slightly fuzzy, particularly at that size, and in the driving in the corn field sequence you could make out… motion artifacts, aka "blockies."
          I guess their projection system uses a motion-compressed format as the source. If a proper DCP was used, "blockies" during high-intensity action and movements should not be possible, other than if the DCP itself was sourced from a lossy medium.

The laser projection was good, but there was a distinct dark red line down the far left side of the image for the entire film. There was only one projector, so it wasn't a stacked projector registration issue, no idea of the cause.
          Sounds like a crappy, non-DCI playback implementation with framebuffer issues.

Presentation fun: about half way through the credits, two employees came in, turned on the overhead cleaning lights that also shine directly on the screen, and one could be heard to say aloud (whether she meant to be heard or not) "Could you all just leave now? We need to clean the theater.")
          You politely reminded them you paid for the ENTIRE movie, including the 15 minutes of slow scrolling text?

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
            You politely reminded them you paid for the ENTIRE movie, including the 15 minutes of slow scrolling text?
            I complained about the cleaning lights but they claimed they were "automatic," but that doesn't explain the nasty comment.

Then again as someone who looked maybe 19, I doubt she cares, she's from the modern school of "if the restaurant says it closes at 10, that's what time we get to leave" employees.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
              Look at people in ALL the rows with their necks craned up. That would be the most uncomfortable viewing experience ever. Anytime we've been in one of those "giant" screens like a real Imax, I've always insisted we sit at least halfway up or higher. They shouldn't sell those bottom three or four rows.
              At least at DMNS the seating isn't reserved (yet) so people choose to sit there.

Comment

I know that Denver museum ended up with the Iwerks Linear Loop projector I pulled out of the Museum Of Ancient Life near Salt Lake City, (pictures in warehouse). Not sure if it was ever actually installed there or not. It's kind of funny how all these little companies pop up from time to time with specialty screening systems. First Iwerks, then CDC, and now it's other companies appearing out of the wood work.

Comment

iWerks. That's a name I haven't heard in a while! Looking back through email, I see in 2011, a discussion regarding closed captioning with WGBH (Rear Window), Quivis servers, and Simex/iWerks. This was regarding the SMPTE ST 430-10 protocol. I seem to remember another discussion regarding 3D where they used linear polarization in the 3D glasses which interfered with the display in the CCR-100 caption receiver. The CCR-100 has an OLED display, not LCD, which would be expected to have a polarizer. But, it turns out the OLED display has a polarizer to reduce reflections. The display normally looks black. If you pull the polarizer off, it looks metallic. We pulled the polarizer off to work with the iWerks 3D system.

Long time ago!

Comment

The are still around but now known as Simex-Iwerks...
                    We create experiences that immerse your guests in fun and exciting action.

Comment

The concession area is exactly the same as the old one, regardless of what they say, except they now only sell 12 oz. cans of soda rather than the 20 oz. bottles they used to. Not fun for a near three hour film.
                      I've been waiting for everybody else to post their replies before commenting but, when William first posted "12 oz. cans" I did a proverbial facepalm!

Cans?! In a movie theater?! Are they crazy?!

Who the hell wants to sit in a theater, trying to watch a movie, while other people are popping their cans open? Two-plus hours of "Crack! P-ssht!" Sometimes followed up by, "Fizz! Aw, CRAP!" Then there is the inevitable clatter of metal cans hitting the floor and the crunch of people stepping on them.

I, for one, would not tolerate that! And, don't tell me that the concession staff opens the cans for the customer before they leave the counter. Most people will want to open their own cans.

I'm sure that many of you remember the story I told about going to the theater, as a kid, when my father made me sneak a six pack of beer into the theater inside my coat pockets. It's not exactly a good memory. It makes me cringe just to think about it!

It might not sound like much to you but, the moment I read that a theater was selling drinks in cans, I just thought, "Oy-VEY!"

Maybe plastic bottles aren't much better but I still think they are better than cans!

Comment

Sadly, the sonic intrusion of cans is a battle already lost most everywhere as most theaters started selling RedBull and those small flavored waters in 8 oz. cans long ago.

I also think candy companies embarked upon research to find the loudest packaging possible…

Comment

Hmm... I wonder why people don't go to movie theaters anymore.

Comment

And, don't tell me that the concession staff opens the cans for the customer before they leave the counter.
                            We have a beer and wine license, so we do sell beer in cans and bottles. We do open them and we do pour them into cups. And it took a while for the customers to quit asking if they could just have the can/bottle.
                            And, of course, there are still people who smuggle things in, just like there are still assholes who use their cell phones.

Comment

Indeed; at many theaters people have been smuggling in soda (and I suspect beer) cans for years now, let alone water bottles I doubt contain just water.

Comment

Working...
                              X