marketing a Single Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tony Bandiera Jr View Post

Seriously? I do hope you rethink that idea, and yes you are correct to worry about what kind of content will end up on there.

I have already made clear what I think about TikTok and the damage it is doing to the intelligence and morals of society, please for your sake don't jump on that bandwagon. Facebook is almost as bad, but definitely the lesser of the evils (and it is at least somewhat moderated.)
    I disagree! These social platforms are what YOU make of them. Nothing more, nothing less. All the social platforms "learn" what you actually look at. That sort of stuff ends up in your feed... So if you look at Cat or Dog pages, then that's what you are going to see the most of in your feed all the time. I get a lot of stuff about projectors and have met many interesting people in the Biz and that are just home hobbyists. Bidness owners can also use Facebook and Instagram to advertise. However, Facebook is a real time machine where you sit down for 15 minutes and get up three hours later. It is moderated by AI as are most of the Social Media Pages.. I left FB behind due to the amount of time wasted... which is also my only complaint about it. I usually go on Instagram, which is way more limited than Facebook, whilst sitting taking care of more urgent bidness, and enjoy some funny Stand Up Comic Stuff. Can't stay too long in that position. So there is a built in time limiter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
      I disagree! These social platforms are what YOU make of them. Nothing more, nothing less. All the social platforms "learn" what you actually look at. That sort of stuff ends up in your feed... So if you look at Cat or Dog pages, then that's what you are going to see the most of in your feed all the time. I get a lot of stuff about projectors and have met many interesting people in the Biz and that are just home hobbyists. Bidness owners can also use Facebook and Instagram to advertise. However, Facebook is a real time machine where you sit down for 15 minutes and get up three hours later. It is moderated by AI as are most of the Social Media Pages.. I left FB behind due to the amount of time wasted... which is also my only complaint about it. I usually go on Instagram, which is way more limited than Facebook, whilst sitting taking care of more urgent bidness, and enjoy some funny Stand Up Comic Stuff. Can't stay too long in that position. So there is a built in time limiter.
      You, me, we're probably not the standard "social media user". Maybe "the algorithms" work reasonably well for you and for people with similar interests as we have, but there is more to the story.

The reason those social media companies are so under-siege is because they programmed their algorithms to increase engagement, because engagement is good for them: more advertiser money.
      The way they increased engagement is by creating fake outrage, by biassing outrage-inducing content more than any other content. Many people, not just the social media addicted, found themselves in a negative feedback loop, within a giant echo chamber.

Leaked research has shown that the big social media companies knew about their ill effects on people, yet they decided to double down on it, all in the name of profit. That's the reason why those social media companies certainly deserve to die. The problem is, what happens if Twitter finally explodes tomorrow? You'll see that Zuck's Threads is there to gobble up those people that have become disenfranchised with Twitter... essentially they'll move from one over-privileged ass-hat billionaire to another.

The Internet used to be about open standards, like the web and e-mail... Today, people don't use IRC, which is an open chat network, but Discord, even though it's almost exactly the same. Why people need a video service for short videos like TikTok, completely beats me, but I've also never really found a use-case for Twitter either.
      Last edited by Marcel Birgelen; 07-10-2023, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I find I don't waste too much time on Facebook because something always interrupts me, so I have a built in time limiter on it.

My big internet time-waster is just plain reading. I can look at Wikipedia all day, which will lead me to google something, which will lead to several other things to check out. Facbook gets tiring with all the ads and repetition. I never could figure out Twitter or Instagram, but I haven't really tried that hard either. TikTok is OK but I find that just when I get interested in something, it ends.... or the horrible music drives me nuts. But there again, I haven't really gotten deep into it. It's a sitting-on-the-toilet option at best.

Now I hear there is a wonderful new thing called "Threads" so I guess I need to find out about that.

Comment

We are a 76 year old single screen theater. I have found the best marketing is word of mouth. Give something for people to talk about they will pass the word around. It might cost you some money but it can be better than spending money on a radio ad or newspaper ad. If you found a great deal on toys for Christmas, you offer a free toy to any parent who needs something for their child - you add info on shows or your theater to the bottom of the post and let others spread the world. You can make a deal with a local farmer for eggs and offer them to anyone in need,, it is a feel good story people want to share.
          We showed Sound of Freedom and got a lot of new people into the theater. Many of them thought the $3.00 ticket price was a special price.. we had to tell them to come most any time for that price... hopefully now they know the price and the experience, they will return.
          We sometimes run a "barter night".. bring something to trade for a movie ticket. Sometimes we collect a lot of junk and something there is good stuff. This is the same as free but allows the movie goer to keep their pride and brings out a better group of people. (we cover the studio fees). The more fun it is, the more off the wall, the better it makes people feel, the more "shares" you will get.
          We have a YouTube Channel, Twitter, Facebook and our own website.. None of them alone are the answer but all help a little.

Comment

Working...
          X