100 miles to see the movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 miles to see the movie

I had a couple that looks to be in their 70's come in last night to see Shazam. They told me they drove from a tiny village that's about 100 miles from here.

"We have heard about this place but never came here before. We wanted to see it and we wanted to see Shazam, so here we are."

On the way out they said they had a wonderful experience and they want to see John Wick so they'll be back next week.

That's a mighty long drive for an elderly couple in the middle of the night.

Same kind of thing at my place the other night. I had customers on Sunday night drive from Knoxville, Tennessee to Watertown (35 miles east of Nashville) just to come watch Shazam and Cocaine Bear at the drive-in. Since they were the first customers here, I asked them what brought them to town... They said, "Oh, we just came for the drive-in". They drove 2 hours to get here, and another 2 hours to go home after the movies ended at midnight.

Comment

We used to have people travel in from other states pretty regularly to see a movie at the GCC Northpark. Some of them said their drive was 10-12 HOURS in the car each way and most of them got a hotel room for the night, but they said they felt it was worth it for the presentation.

Comment

I once drove miles to a bit over 400mi to RUN a movie- - does that count?

(In the interest of honest accuracy, I didn't drive back the same night.
        It was a several day gig, and they paid for my food & lodging while there
        )
        Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 04-05-2023, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I flew from NY to LA in 2003 to see This is Cinerama in the original three panel format at the Cinerama Dome on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood. Brought back pictures to prove it too! (they're in the warehouse on the old site). I'm glad I went, It was one of the best movie-going experiences of my life. I had almost flown to England to see it.
          Last edited by Mark Ogden; 04-05-2023, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I used to drive significant distances to see movies in good theaters on a somewhat frequent basis. Northpark Mall in Dallas is 200 miles away from my home in Lawton. But I visited the GCC Northpark 1-2 theater quite a few times in the 1990's simply because the theater was that good. I had more relatives living in the DFW area at that time. That helped with being able to visit DFW for a weekend rather than having to drive down and back to Lawton in the same day (although I did that a number of times as well).

When I lived in Georgia I once drove from Albany to Atlanta to see Far and Away in 70mm at another General Cinemas theater.

In recent years I usually haven't been driving any farther than Oklahoma City just to see a movie. I've seen movies at theaters in DFW, Austin, Houston and Colorado Springs but any movie-going has been a secondary purpose of those recent road trips.​

Comment

Never drove 100 miles to see a movie but, occasionally, I'll go fifty for a late night run to Waffle House.

Comment

In my 'party animal' days, my friend Darren and I were looking for something to do after work, so we decided, at 6pm, to drive 100 miles to Billings to see a movie that started at 7pm. He was a hot-rod guy and we drove like bats out of hell. We were in our seats before the end of the trailers.

The movie? "Thank God It's Friday." It was the '70s, it was the disco era, we were drinking beer, what can I say?

Comment

That elderly couple I wrote about is still coming to movies. They are here tonight, in fact, for Dungeons and Dragons.

Looks like I have new regular customers.

Comment

I just had a family of five come for the Super Mario matinee from Nipawin, which is 333km (about 200) miles north of here.

And they came by taxi.

*boggle*

Comment

My wife and I have been wanting to see the movie Air, for a couple of reasons: 1, it looks like a good movie, and 2, I wanted to support Amazon's theatrical release. So on the day after CinemaCon ended, our flight was delayed four hours, so to fill time, we taxi'd to the Orleans Cinemark theater to see the movie. I joked with her that it was our most expensive movie date ever.
                      Last edited by Mike Blakesley; 04-29-2023, 10:52 AM.

Comment

PreCOVID, I have routinely driven 100+ miles to see a film in 70MM. Mostly, crossing from Canada to Michigan to see....

Comment

20 years ago I used to drive 220kms each way with the lessee of a country drive in every second Friday night with 2 movies in the boot of the car and loaded with kiosk goodies, do the double feature and then drive back home..was always a LONG day. Always very busy as had to check the reels for cues etc once we got on site but at least I was always well fed and watered from the kiosk.
                          That was travelling from Perth in Western Australia to Koorda Drive in

Comment

Working...
                          X