Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone heard from Universal regarding "Oppenheimer" physical formats yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone heard from Universal regarding "Oppenheimer" physical formats yet?

Typically by this time Warner Brothers would have queried theaters about physical formats they supported in advance of an upcoming Nolan release (still slated for July 21), but I haven't heard of Universal doing so as of yet.

I'm sure they will issue 35mm, 5/70 and 15/70 prints, though in what numbers I couldn't say.

In talking to my local Regal theater manager he said they'd love to get a print in and the projector is still there, but also stated the odds of getting corporate to pay for a projectionist (particularly one that can handle 5/70) was "near zero," especially as he didn't believe the projector had actually been used since Dunkirk. (Like many houses, the projector installation was originally paid for by the studio for the 70mm run of Hateful 8.) They never got a film print of Tenet despite asking for one, and given Regal's continuing precarious financial situation…

However issuance of film prints was almost certainly one of the things Nolan insisted upon when taking Syncopy over to Universal.

One of my service contract customers (an independent multiplex in the LA 'burbs) was asked if he had the capability to play it on 35mm. In theory, they do: when the theater converted to digital, the (Christie) 35mm projector, platter, and CP500 in the large house were left in place, and apparently they've run a scrap reel of trailers through it every now and again. But it hasn't played film to a paying audience for over a decade, and when the audio processor was upgraded to a Trinnov, the output from the 500 wasn't plumbed into it or tested. I told the manager that we could make it happen, but that we'd need to bring in the tech to whom we subcontract any film-related jobs above basic PMs, and that if the CP500 has become problematic, try to find a used but OK CP650 to replace it with. That was about a month to six weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything further since.

Comment

In talking to my local Regal theater manager he said they'd love to get a print in and the projector is still there​
      Are you talking about the Continental? Did you ask him to do something about the exit light shining on the screen?

If not, would you please?

From my review of their 70MM presentation of The Hateful Eight:

Continental Theater (Denver) - Auditorium 9 - 5th row center - 12/31/15 7PM

The Presentation

1) Well, here's what I submitted to Regal via their online comment form this morning:

The bottom right corner of theater 9 has a garish green glow from the Exit sign, which is very distracting.

Please do something to shield this light from the screen. I could do it with $5 of matte black paper (without obscuring the sign).

The sad thing about this is that it's entirely preventable. I'm sure it's also an issue for the digital presentations normally in that auditorium.

Quentin and Robert used the entire frame, and for me, the green glow was bad enough that I would recommend checking out the AMC Promenade if you want to see this in Denver, unless of course Regal fixes it. ha.​
      Without fixing that, bringing 70MM to that theater would be a waste of a print.

Comment

If they haven’t fixed that by now, they need a new manager.

Comment

35mm, 5-perf 70mm and 15-perf IMAX prints are being made.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Jones View Post

Are you talking about the Continental? Did you ask him to do something about the exit light shining on the screen?

If not, would you please?

From my review of their 70MM presentation of The Hateful Eight:

Without fixing that, bringing 70MM to that theater would be a waste of a print.
            Yes, the Continental.

I don't know if it still is; I don't recall being annoyed by it during Dunkirk, and I recently saw the Titanic 3D release in that same house.

Certainly it's not as bad as the AMC Flatiron Crossing 14 where the red aisle lighting washes out the bottom corners of both their IMAX and Dolby Cinema houses.

(Not an issue for me any longer as I won't pay extra for good seats.)

FWIW, I believe the current manager has only been there since just before COVID.

I'm also hopeful the Regal Colorado Center IMAX, the last remaining true IMAX screen in Denver since the Denver Museum of Nature and Science trashed theirs in favor of D3D (and what's got to be a screen with an insane hot spot, given it's a "new, high gain 2.9 MDI Premium HGA silver 3D cinema screen") got their subwoofer fixed; it actually wasn't working last year during the premiere of Top Gun: Maverick and I haven't been back since to check.
            Last edited by William Kucharski; 03-22-2023, 02:53 AM.

Comment

I haven't personally had any communication with Universal, but, as I've mentioned in another thread, I've
              been informed by management & bookers that not only will we be getting OPPENHEIMER in 70mm, but
              they're thinking of "bookending" the OPPENHEIMER run with several other 70mm titles in the weeks
              before & after it. Several potential films were mentioned, but as of yet I haven't heard of any that have
              been definitely confirmed. My main concern is wheretheheck am I going to stash all those 70mm shipping
              cases
              ? - - and I'll probably have to borrow some extra 70mm reels if they go ahead with their plans.

Comment

I confirmed with the manager of Denver's Regal Continental:

He said there was "zero chance" Regal would pay for a projectionist even if Universal were willing to send them a 35mm or 70mm print.

Comment

Originally posted by William Kucharski View Post
                  I confirmed with the manager of Denver's Regal Continental:
                  He said there was "zero chance" Regal would pay for a projectionist even if Universal were willing to send them a 35mm or 70mm print.
                  I think Regal is in a position right now where they can barely afford to pop popcorn anymore, let alone pay a Projectionist...

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post

I think Regal is in a position right now where they can barely afford to pop popcorn anymore, let alone pay a Projectionist...
                    Correct, not like AMC is doing any better though at least they may get purchased by Amazon.

Regal Cinemas owner Cineworld, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last year, said Friday that it expected shareholders to be wiped out entirely, meaning they should not expect to recover any funds from a restructuring or sale of the business.

Comment

Amazon might be the only hope for keeping the AMC chain somewhat intact (even though the AMC brand could go bye bye). The other alternative is multiple buyers, such as private equity companies, picking apart the theater chain's assets, mainly its real estate, to sell off so the theater building can be replaced by something else more profitable.

I don't have much hope at all of seeing Oppenheimer in any 70mm format within any sort of reasonable driving distance to me. I hope I'm wrong and that there will be at least some 5/70mm shows in the Dallas area. I don't know where any 15/70mm shows would be booked.

Comment

Apparently there has been an IMAX tech going around the country for the past year or so preparing any 15/70 that still exists to support "a new movie this year". I forget his name but I have seen him post on some Facebook groups here and there. Maybe it will get some other films running before and afterwards now that the equipment has been preped and ready!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle Mikolajczyk View Post
                          [Slightly Edited] Apparently there has been an IMAX tech going around the country . .
                          . preparing any 15/70 that still exists to support "a new movie this year".
                          Ironically just a few days ago, I was just having a conversation about this with someone who used to
                          work for IMAX but still has many contacts with the company, and they pretty much confirmed this info.
                          Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 03-31-2023, 09:23 AM. Reason: Do I Really Need A Reason?

Comment

Nice to hear, Jim! I am very excited, hopefully they start confirming what theaters are showing what format. With what seems to be a large amount of big films coming out in the next few months and the summer, I bet there will be a lot of theater-goers for once.

Comment

I remember WB would reach out by now and start setting me up with details. I wonder how UNI will handle hiring projectionist and paying them? Is BLS involved in any way? I have somewhat maintained my IMAX MPX system, but not sure they will send a print.

Comment

Working...
                              X