Can Anyone Identify These LED Strips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Anyone Identify These LED Strips?

I'm trying to identify a part number or manufacturer for these LED light strips.
    The ones you see here, are mounted in a recessed channel on stage & used
    as footlights, but they are also used as ceiling cove lights in several auditoriums.

(This is looking down into one of the footlight coves on the stage)
    LED_Bar2.jpg

The fixtures are almost exactly 1ft long each, with some driver circuitry and
    a big heat sink on the back Connector plugs allow them to be daisy-chained.

LED_Bar3.jpg

There's no identifiable info on anywhere on the front so I may just have un-screw one
    from the footlight chain or one of the coves in hopes that there's a manufacturer's plate
    on the back or perhaps inside. But maybe somebody here recognizes them.

My issue is that several of these have begun to flicker and/or strobe a bit. I suspect
    that the trouble is in the driver circuitry.

None of the affected units are on stage. The ones with issues are up in the ceiling coves,
    and fortunately are towards the back of the auditorium, so they're not too distracting before
    the show, and they're totally dimmed off during the movie. But I'd like to find out who makes
    them & get them fixed or replaced. If one of the footlight units starts acting up, that's gonna
    be a real problem for me, since we do a lot of shows with 'live" filmmaker intros & Q&A's on
    stage. These were probably installed in 2015, when there was a major remodeling done,but
    there's nobody around who remembers who the contractors were, or where they came from.

If worse comes to worse, I'll have to dismount one or more of the units from the footlight
    or ceiling cove and maybe I can find a label somewhere on them.

hi jim, unsure of who made them but the reason the ones on stage may be having trouble is they may only be designed for use with the heatsink up and the leds down so they may be overheating???

Comment

John - you must have missed the sentence in my message that said "None of the affected units are on stage"
      While I haven't crawled up into the ceiling catwalks to inspect all of the other troublesome units, those are
      pretty much mounted in the same orientation, with the LED's in front aimed up into a ceiling cove, instead of
      projecting up towards a stage The only real difference is that the ones up in the coves are attached to a metal
      4x4 conduit raceway, which, if anything would provide excellent heat-sink augmentation- - and yet those are
      the units that are failing- - all the ones on stage are just fine. But thanks for your suggestion.

Comment

boy, i must be going blind! i mis read it thinking the ones giving trouble were the floor sets...oh well! are any of them on dimmers? if so are the overheads dimming and not the floor? could be a dimmer issue or scr going out?

Comment

I did some reverse image thing on those pictures, but what comes back are parts for weapons...
          There are so many LED systems out there, it's hard to figure out where it comes from without any leads. But maybe, it's a common system in your neck of the woods and somebody else recognizes it.

I don't particularly like the heat sink design of those... I guess it's difficult to put it anywhere else, but a heat sink needs to get rid of the heat by convection into the air around it and with the heat sink mounted against the wall, there isn't much room for this to happen, especially in the absence of some forced ventilation. I guess, I prefer led strips on lower DC voltages and separated LED drivers.

Comment

Take it to a major Electric Supply Place. They should be able to identify it pretty quickly. And I agree with John, heatsinks up, lamps pointing down is the only way it's going to last.

Comment

Jim, if the driver circuits aren't potted, you should be able to repair them. In most (if not all) cases, a blinking LED lamp is due to the electrolytic caps in the driver failing. If you are handy with a soldering iron they are an easy fix. Be sure to get replacements rated for 105deg C from a reputable source like Mouser or Digi-Key. Stay away from any on FleaBay.

Those drivers tend to run hot and that rapidly dries out the caps. Also replace any resistors that are discolored as they may have drifted in value.

Comment

☞ UPDATE!
                I was able to pull one of those footlight modules out today & open it up, and it turns out
                that we both were making assumptions that turned out to be wrong. I assumed that they
                had driver circuits, (they don't have separate driver circuits, per sè) and others assumed
                that the heat sinks should be mounted "up"- - which according to a spec sheet I found,
                makes no difference which way they are mounted.

So- - these things are nothing more than two more or less "U" shaped pieces of cast
                zinc (not aluminum) that are screwed together. inside is nothing more than the (120v)
                pass-thru wiring, into which an internal connector plug is tapped. The 4 LED's and what
                I assume is nothing more than some voltage dropping components are contained in
                a plastic module which is clipped onto the the font half of the zinc casting. There's
                some heat-sink compound behind the removable LED "module", and yes, the casting
                does serve the purpose of a heat sink. But I found a spec sheet which says they can
                be mounted "in any orientation" -

I was able to identify these as a "Tempo Industries, Series 6000 Lumaniaire". I know
                these were made some time between 2012 and 2015. (Tempo started manufacturing
                the housings out of zinc in late 2011- prior to that they were made out of aluminum)

I didn't have time to do any further research, & contact the manufacturer to see if
                they still have replacements for the LED 'modules'. If I had more time, I was going
                to pry one of them open to see what components are on the back of the little circuit
                board the LED's are mounted on. Unfortunately, I"ve got awholebuncha shows &
                a film festival I need to get through this week & next, so for now, I'm just going to
                e-mail the manufacturer and see if I can get replacement LED modules for them.

"ACTUAL PHOTOS"
                These things are nothing more than two U-Shaped castings, with
                connectors & wiring (120v) to loop through & connect the LED module
                FtLite_2.jpg

The "LED Module" has 4 LED's on the front & some components
                on the back. It's attached to the casting by clips and a plug-in
                connector (and some heat sink compound) on the back.
                FtLite_1.jpg
                They should be E-Z to replace if I can get parts from the maker.
                Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 03-13-2023, 05:47 PM. Reason: To correct a couple of spelling an syntax errors that were worse than usual- - even for me. . .

Comment

There isn't anything on the backside of the cooling harnas? I can't believe the 120V AC are chaneled directly into that removable LED strip thingy...

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
                    ---- I can't believe the 120V AC are chaneled directly into that removable LED strip thingy...
                    Well, I didn't actually measure the voltage going through them- - I was going by a sticker on the unit
                    that said "120v". Since there's a female connector on the last unit in the chain, it would be pretty easy
                    for me to stick a couple of meter probes on it and take a reading next time I gettachance. I'm not aware
                    of any transformer box under the stage that these could be connected to, so I'm pretty sure they are
                    driven directly off the AC line.

Attached Files

Comment

jim, there is probably a power supply somewhere, if i remember tempo was generally 24-28vdc at the strips, they had a modulator power supply, it was in an all aluminum case and if they are dimmable, there is another box that contains the scrs for dimming and optional color changes don't apply 120 v to them or you will be breathing smoke! i quit selling tempo back in the 90s because they never seemed to keep a product available for more than a few years, and their replacements were not compatible with what they upgraded from! that line is probably obsolete by now...good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by John Eickhof View Post
                        jim, there is probably a power supply somewhere, if i remember tempo was generally 24-28vdc at the strips,
                        I had a little time after my last show the other night to shove a couple of meter probes into the one of the connectors
                        used to daisy-chain these units together and they are indeed 120Vac (fed through an electronic dimmer system)

Comment

Working...
                        X