New Concession Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Concession Stand

We're doing some renovations while we're closed and a concession stand is one of our to-do's. I know Proctor can help us out but they generally work with larger theaters and I'm afraid of what the design and build might cost for our little theater. Are there any other vendors that are recommended that can do design, build, and install of a new concession stand for us?

We're looking at a Cretors Mach 5 32oz, 3 ft floor model with Popit N' Topit option so we have the butter topping built right into the cabinet. Then two selling stations that share a candy case, and 6-8 flavors of hand scoop ice cream.

Hire a local contractor unless you want to pay a ridiculous amount of money.

Comment

Ya I asked Procter for ballpark on a 16' wide concession stand in our Single. They said it ranged from $90k to $175k for the full package where they design, build, and install it. My JAW DROPPED

We might use them for design since that's only about $5,000 then have a local contractor build and install it. We're trying to stay between $20-30k for the new stand.

Comment

pencil out a rough design layout with measurements, contact a local cabinet shop that does commercial cabinetry remember basic rules of architecture and lay out for most efficient employee work patterns and try to avoid employees crossing over each other to fetch items place display case and serving counter center front and popcorn / fountain center rear thus registers or cash drawers on ends thus visually items will sell themselves and employees will have easy access to all items with ease. its pretty simple! keeps inks and clean up areas out of the area best to be in room behind snack bar sales area. depending on size, trims and finishes, a budget of a few thousand would do it plus the good will of having someone local do the work. good luck.

Comment

I've always been told that the popcorn machine should be right in front of the customers and not at the back because people like to see it popping and/or sitting there in a stack. That will sell more popcorn.

Which makes sense to me....

Comment

Our popper is in front, in the stand now and we plan on keeping it there. It's cool to see it up close instead of on the back wall. When the little kids are looking at it, we throw popcorn at the glass to make them jump and they always smile and laugh.

Comment

I asked Procter for ballpark on a 16' wide concession stand in our Single. They said it ranged from $90k to $175k for the full package where they design, build, and install it. My JAW DROPPED

We might use them for design since that's only about $5,000
              Five grand for a concession design? That's insane unless you're designing a multi-plex with multiple stations. Just go visit another theater (or have somebody like me send you some pics) and make a drawing based on your space. Then have a local guy build your back counter and front counter, and leave space in front for the popcorn machine. You don't need anything fancy, just functional. And make sure you have enough electrical outlets and circuits to cover your equipment plus any future machinery you might decide to add.

And yes, I would recommend having your popcorn machine front and center. This will do two things: It'll sell popcorn like crazy, AND it will inspire you to keep it shiny clean because every patron will be seeing it. And, it'll help you make sure you're rotating your popcorn and always selling fresh-popped. Our machine (Cretors Diplomat 32 oz) is from 1996 and it still looks like we just put it in last week, because we tell the concession crew they can't leave until it is sparkling.

On the question above about kettle size -- our old machine (a Manley) was a 24 ounce kettle. We intended to buy another 24 when we got the Cretors but we wound up getting a 32 oz for the same price because they had a floor model they were discounting. People seem to be buying bigger popcorn sizes these days (our biggest size is 170 ounce) so we go through enough corn to make it worth having the bigger size.

Comment

We went through this during the pandemic when the health department tried to shut us down. They couldn't force us to shut down as we read the orders and found ways to service the community, but since it was not in the manner the state wanted, the health department dug up some building violations from the 1980s. These are things that where given a waver for nearly 50 years but when they wanted us to shut down, those small building issues became a problem for them.
                We had to build a concession stand to meet the current regulations without the health department telling us what would or would not pass an inspection. We had to put in a hand sink and a three compartment sink so we could wash our hands in one sink and the ice scoop in another.

My advice is to talk to your contractor.. Anything is possible but some things are more affordable than other things. Tell the contractor what you are thinking and pick his or her brain. We had to be creative to put in the sinks as we don't have drains and digging a trench across the lobby would have been expensive so we came up with a series of pumps and hidden pipes.
                If possible run your plans by the health department to make sure they will not have issues with it. They might have different requirements and you don't want to learn of those things after you have finished your remodel. Basically, the health department is going to likely want washable walls, ceiling and floor. They might require a location to wash scoops, prongs, etc and possible a hand washing station (one sink might work for both, if your health department is cool about it). You will probably need things like splash guards etc but the health department should help you with those things. Have a couple extra outlets than you currently need.. you might need them later. Pick the brain of your electrician. Be aware, you might be opening a can of worms. When had vintage glass exit signs. When we put in the hot water heater, the building inspector required us to put in new exit signs. Once you make a change to an area, everything in that area, could be subject to any updated codes.

I suggest, talking to a good contractor who has done work like this before and let them provide ideas... do the same with the electrician. These people know more about what new product than people not in that line of business. Then run the idea by the health department. Don't expect the health department to make sense but they have find say. We give our popcorn crumbs to people who raise chickens and in return they give us eggs. We can not store the bag of chicken feed on the floor even though the chickens will be eating it off the ground.
                Please post photos as the projects moves along.

Comment

Working...
                X