No announcement yet.

Popcorn tubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike - my experience, too! I was shocked how many little ones were brought to Jurassic. Sometimes I think the parents can afford or can't get childcare. We had several little ones in the lobby.

I hope we can fit Lightyear in.

Comment

It might be because some parents think that their kids like dinosaurs so they take them to the "dinosaur movie" without realizing that they are really watching an action movie that just happens to have dinosaurs in it.

Hey! Some kids like to see dinosaurs chomping on things! Maybe the kids will like the movie. It's up to the parents to decide but, on the same token, they need to know that "Jurassic Park: N+1" isn't your average kids' movie.

When I was a kid going to the movies with my father (carrying the aforementioned beer cans) we watched movies like "Dirty Harry" and "Josey Wales."
      Those are definitely NOT movies for kids! On the other hand, I grew up in an environment where those kinds of movies were seen all of the time and it was no big deal.

Sure, I would be surprised to see a lot of parents bringing their kids to see "JP:N+1" but I don't think it out of line if the parents make informed decisions.

Comment

I wish all the crowds could be like the ones that came to Top Gun.

Plentiful and spotless.

We've had an insane amount of small children for JP. Didn't surprise me. Had the same thing for "Dog" and "Batman". Randy is spot on. The movie has dinosaurs therefore it must be a kids film. Same with Dog.

Dog on poster = Kids film.

Comment

Kids and Dinosaurs? Obviously.
          Kids in 'Dog'? Honestly?
          Did the same crowd come to see 'The Power Of The Dog'?

Comment

People bring kids to:

Anything rated G or PG (even if it's an adult theme)
            Anything with dinosaurs
            Anything with dogs
            Anything Western (around here, anyway)
            and in some cases, horror movies.

I'm not a parent, so I don't quite understand why so many people are so easily overruled by their kids these days when it comes to what entertainment they consume. When I was in my single digit years, I wasn't even allowed to listen to Bill Cosby records, for cripesake. Any movie had to be rated G or GP (the forerunner to PG). Anything M (the forerunner to R) was out.

Comment

Regarding Webstaurant

I think most if not all of the stuff I have for our theatre came from there. Everything from concession supplies right down to the floor mats and vacuum cleaner was purchased from them. They held out for quite some time in being able to keep us supplied with tubs and then I assume everyone found them. Now I've been getting them through my local farmer who supplies us with our corn.

It's been an interesting year. I've had several different styles and types of tubs all mixed and matched as I grab what I can get. We also sold Pepsi in coke branded cups when Pepsi couldn't supply us and Webstaurant and Amazon ran out of everything else. I am finally able to get cups from Pepsi after nearly a year of waiting and now it appears tubs (and straws of all things) are hit and miss.

Tea is one thing that has been difficult to get through Pepsi. I generally don't sell that much of it so I went to buying Pure Leaf bottles. Then went to purchasing them from the grocery store when I realized they had better pricing than directly from Pepsi. (same for bottled water). Now it's hard to find it consistently at grocery stores. So, I just started making it. Bought a scratch and dent Narvon chilled beverage dispenser from Ebay. I think I sell way more tea now and it's dirt cheap for me. (And interestingly enough, Narvon is a brand offered from Webstaurant......of course!)

Comment

No problems with anything from Pepsi yet, here. Just the popcorn buckets. Our supplier only had the 170 ounce the last time I checked.

We've gotten quite a bit of stuff from Webstaurantstore too, including an ice machine which somehow came with only $35 for shipping. Only complaint I've ever had with them was, they don't pack heavy items very well. I bought a bar-type table for the office in our auto parts store, and it arrived with no hardware. The boxes with the legs and frame were so beat up from shipping, I'm sure the hardware fell out along the line. I was too impatient to complain about it, I just used nuts and bolts from our stock to put it together, so I have no idea how fast or efficient their "complaint resolution" process is.

I was just about to pull the trigger on some 25-packs of 85-oz buckets (because they were out of the full cases), but before I got it done, they sold out of those too.

Comment

I am ordering tubs and bags from China. With shipping, the 130 oz tubs are less than 30 cents. It will take a month or so to get here.

Comment

Jill, which supplier did you choose on Alibaba? And please report back when you receive your items. I'm curious how the process goes for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
                      When I was in my single digit years, I wasn't even allowed to listen to Bill Cosby records, for cripesake.
                      One time, I got into my parents' record stash and played a Cheech and Chong record and got my ass beat for it.

Strangely, I was about ten years old when my father took me to watch "Blazing Saddles."
                      Being a ten year old kid, the fart scene was just about the funniest thing in the world but none of the adults even blinked an eye to think that I watched it.

Comment

Funny about Blazing Saddles... things that would have been super offensive back in the day would hardly cause a blink today, and also the opposite is true.

Comment

Many people don't understand that Mel Brooks is a very vocal anti-racist who doesn't hesitate to speak out about antisemitism or any other kind of racism. Nor do they realize that Richard Pryor co-wrote the script and most of the "N-word jokes" were written (or, at least, blessed) by him.

If you think for a second, the whole movie, "Blazing Saddles," can be taken as an anti-racist rant, done in Brooks' own comedic idiom.

There are a lot of people who don't understand that "Jurassic Park" was written as a cautionary tale about technology gone wrong.
                          The film's original novel was written by Michael Chrichton. I can't think of one thing that Chricton wrote that didn't have at least a little bit of that theme under the surface.

Too many people don't see movies beyond the surface. If they could, they'd think differently about the movies they watch.

If that was the case, maybe people "should" take their kids to see "Jurassic Park," provided they are mature enough to understand.

Comment

For what it’s worth, I take my own trash out but it’s difficult at local AMCs as the trash bins are always full so people just stack everything four feet high around the opening.

I swear they staff 24 screen AMCs with five people now, one to sell tickets (because their kiosks are usually down,) one to scan tickets, two to run the concession stand and one concession cashier.

Regals don’t staff ticket windows any more, they have you buy your tickets if needed at the concession stand (back in the day, Mann used to do that too.)

Comment

Originally posted by William Kucharski View Post
                              For what it’s worth, I take my own trash out but it’s difficult at local AMCs as the trash bins are always full so people just stack everything four feet high around the opening.

I swear they staff 24 screen AMCs with five people now, one to sell tickets (because their kiosks are usually down,) one to scan tickets, two to run the concession stand and one concession cashier.

Regals don’t staff ticket windows any more, they have you buy your tickets if needed at the concession stand (back in the day, Mann used to do that too.)
                              If I see trash cans overflowing and people starting to stack stuff against it, then I'll have the tendency to simply leave my trash at the seat. I'm not so much inclined to balance my trash on top of the existing pile...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
                                Funny about Blazing Saddles... things that would have been super offensive back in the day would hardly cause a blink today, and also the opposite is true.
                                I read a comment somewhere by Brooks about Blazing Saddles (paraphrasing here): People are always telling me "You couldn't make Blazing Saddles now." I couldn't make it THEN.

Comment

Working...
                                X