Squeaky Rocker Chairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaky Rocker Chairs

We have what I think are older Irwin Rocker chairs that squeak now when people rock in them. I've sprayed WD-40 silicone spray in the parts of the chair that move and it helps for 1-2 months but then some chairs start squeaking loudly again.

Is there a better lubricant we should use that is easy like a spray versus grease that is more work?

On the Irwin rockers that I used to work with, there are a couple of strips of fiberglass (or something) that act as leaf springs.

Get some powdered graphite (NOT OIL) and apply it between the leaf springs. You might be able to use a needle and inject it between the springs but it might end up being easier, in the long run, to just take the seats apart and do it.

Comment

Don't use WD-40 -- it's not a lubricant, it's a moisture displacer, which is why it stops working after a short time.

Comment

I wonder why they call it a lubricant if it does the opposite of that long term? Here's what we have been spraying on the parts that squeak. We don't have leaf springs as these are more modern seats. I'll try to take some clear pictures of where we spray this "lubricant". We may need to do things the harder way and find a way to grease the parts.

https://www.wd40.com/products/silicone-lubricant/

Comment

WD-40 used to be THE name for their primary and only product, labeled WD-40, which is a moisture displacing penetrating oil with some limited lubricating qualities. What you bought, probably is a lubricant, but apparently not a very good one...

Comment

Ah! Yes, the product in your link is indeed a lubricant — but “regular” WD-40 isn’t.

What you need is a longer lasting lubricant.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
              Ah! Yes, the product in your link is indeed a lubricant — but “regular” WD-40 isn’t.

What you need is a longer lasting lubricant.
              Any recommendations?

Comment

dp you know what brand the chairs are? some of the foreign import chars used tensioned robber bushings (mobilaio, and some korean and chinese ) locate a good quality rubber lubricant like auto shops use for mounting tires, use a fine stream sprayer and lube the rubber anywhere it contacts metal. this should help, as the rubber ages, it hardens and glazes causing dry friction.

Comment

Working...
                X