Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the latest theatre to close or open you have heard about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't remember if I posted about this before, but back when I was in school we had the Hogg sisters. Ima and Ura.

Really.

Sometimes you gotta wonder what parents are thinking....

Comment

• They probably thought it was funny. Which is true.

Comment

• The average celebrity child name is usually far worse. At least Ima and Ura can marry out of that name. Traditionally.

Comment

• sad to say...the Guild II in the Wallingford district in Seattle is no more...it has been recently demolished and all that is left is a concrete pad...the Guild I is still there but the marquee has been removed.

Comment

• The 260 seat Barrymore Theatre will open in Fort Lee, New Jersey this weekend, four years after its groundbreaking. Built to commemorate Fort Lee's place as the cradle of US cinema, the theatre is equipped with Century JJ projectors on Strong Highlight ll consoles, with Barco(?) digital projection as well. The theatre is being administrated by the former New Jersey independent exhibitor Nelson Page.

barry.jpg

Comment

• another small town plex bites the dust...the wood river cinema 4 in hailey idaho has closed, unsure if it will be resurrected. it was originally opened by marshall smith of jackson hole wyoming. i think it was operated by regal the last few years. that leaves 4 screens open in ketchum idaho a few miles north. unsure of the actual close date but a friend let me know .

Comment

• Originally posted by John Eickhof View Post
                another small town plex bites the dust...the wood river cinema 4 in Hailey Idaho has closed, unsure if it will be resurrected. it was originally opened by Marshall smith of Jackson Hole Wyoming. i think it was operated by Regal the last few years. that leaves 4 screens open in Ketchum Idaho a few miles north. unsure of the actual close date but a friend let me know .
                Marshall actually lives in Hailey... I know Rick up in Ketchum will be happy that he won the battle... I don't think Marshall built theaters with the intent of running them over the long haul. He sold Aspen to another chain and of course he and Bob D. were originally partners in the two screens down stairs, and he no longer holds the theater in Canada either. Then Bob went bankrupt and Marshall gutted that space and Rick leased the two screen space and we put them back together for him...

Did you hear about Frank in Jackson Hole?

Comment

• no, whats happinin with mr londy?

Comment

• Originally posted by John Eickhof View Post
                    no, whats happinin with mr londy?
                    He passed away last year from non-smokers lung cancer. The Cinema has been closed and the property has been sold. Movieworks is still open but now operated by some local independent group. Far as I know his wife is still living in the big house, and Meg is managing Movieworks. The odd thing is you could see the crud in the air on the NEC filters, which they bought by the case because they had to be changed three times as often. Too many fireplaces belching smoke into the air there, especially in winter. The air there is ok in the summer, but still not great. Traffic summer is now like downtown Chicago at Rush Hour! If you want to make it any place you HAVE TO know all the back roads and In winter the air is literally toxic.

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/valle...5ad3d476a.html
                    Last edited by Mark Gulbrandsen; 10-19-2022, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• The Filmhouse cinema, one of the leading independent cinemas in Scotland and the only independent arthouse in the capital, Edinburgh, closed earlier this month (6th October). The closure was due to the bankruptcy of the parent charity, the Centre for the Moving Image, which also runs another cinema in Aberdeen (the Belmont - also closed) and also the Edinburgh International Film Festival (also affected by the closure - unsure if it will run again).

The Filmhouse opened in 1979 in a renovated church building, and had three screens (a large 280-seat auditorium, and two smaller screens) with 70mm, 35mm, 16mm and digital capabilities. Current rumour is that the building (with all equipment and furnishings intact, at least initially) will be put up for sale imminently - anyone here want to open a cinema in Edinburgh?

The community has set up a petition to raise support in the hopes that it can be re-opened in the future: https://www.change.org/p/save-edinbu...and-belmont​

Comment

• TONIGHT. RE-OPENING the LARGEST DRIVE IN THEATRE in CANADA. 4 SCREENS OUTSIDE NIAGARA FALLS. TEST WEEKEND OCT 28-29-30th 2022. NEW OWNER - OPERATORS are PREMIERE OPERATING of DON MILLS, ONTARIO. FULL TIME OPERATION APRIL or MAY 2023. See my list of 35mm treasures / junk for sale or trade. Rebranded as SKYWAY - NIAGARA FALLS formerly known as the CANVIEW.

Comment

• I think your caps lock key is sticking....

Comment

• https://www.arlnow.com/2022/10/19/al...ity-next-week/

Alamo Drafthouse opened their Crystal City location in Arlington, VA, on Oct. 24, with nine screens including a Big Show which they claim is 66' x 28' and features Dolby Atmos.I was able to check it out during that first soft opening week. The art-deco flourishes all throughout the three-level lobby and the bar area are really attractive, particularly the bar area itself--they're calling this one Departures--with its airport lounge-style look. They've also gotten progressively more extravagant with the mural-style Big Show entrances with this one referencing Snakes on a Plane. Of course once you go down the hall to the other auditoriums it's pretty much the same old Alamo with a bunch of medium to small top-masked screens. Based on the theatre I was in and peeking into a couple others it looks all the screens here are top-masked except for the Big Show; that's a step down from their DC location which has four scope screens out of nine, and their Woodbridge, VA, location which has two scope out of eight. At least they're still using masking.

Comment

• Țara Theatre in Atlanta closing:
                              https://www.atlantanewsfirst.com/202...ilm-community/

Regal Tara to close its doors for good, surprising Atlanta film community

Employees said they were notified just days before closure

Bridget Spencer
                              ATLANTA, Ga. (Atlanta News First) - If you have ever been to the unique Regal Tara theater, you may be sad to know that it will soon close its doors for good.

The Regal Tara is an art-house theater located just off Cheshire Bridge Road. For decades, it has been the place to come for movies of all kinds including independent films. The landmark will close this week, with employees finding out about the closure just three days before, they told Atlanta News First.

A spokesperson for Regal sent this statement:

“As part of our real estate optimization strategy, Regal has made the decision to close our Regal Tara theatre as we continue to position our company for long-term growth. We are working to support our employees through this transition, and we thank them for helping to make us the ‘Best Place to Watch a Movie.’

All of our other Regal theatres in Atlanta – including Regal Atlantic Station, Regal Hollywood N-I85, and Regal Perimeter Pointe – remain open and are operating as usual. We look forward to continuing to serve our guests and members at these locations and providing them with the most memorable cinema experiences.”

Patrons can go to another Regal location, but they said the truly unique architecture and style of the Tara, will be something that cannot be duplicated.

Copyright 2022 WANF. All rights reserved.

Comment

• Harbor East Cinemas (managed by Flagship Cinemas) just opened after an extensive renovation in Baltimore, MD (Inner Harbor area). This was a site managed by Landmark Cinemas, previously.

https://harboreastcinemas.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X