Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMC Pushing Popcorn (Before it Pushes Up Daisies)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMC Pushing Popcorn (Before it Pushes Up Daisies)

AMC Entertainment (AMC) - Get AMC Entertainment Holdings, Inc. Class A Reportknows that its core business -- selling tickets to movies that play in its theaters will never recover. The company never says that and CEO Adam Aron has to make it seem like theaters will go back to being important in a post-pandemic world, but knows they will only recover to a point.

You can blame Covid, but the reality is more complicated. Movie theaters struggled before the pandemic because streaming services release so much content and most people have a huge TV with high-quality sound right in their living room. Yes, Covid accelerated the process, but the writing was on the wall well before the pandemic.

Now, unless a film features Spider-Man, something fast and furious, or maybe a bunch of dinosaurs more people are preferring to stay at home and stream rather than head out to the movie theater. So AMC is now hoping that if it can’t entice you to go to one of its locations, then maybe you’ll be willing to bring a small bucket of AMC home with you.

The beleaguered movie theater chain has shared that Ellen Copaken, formerly of Frito-Lay and Hostess Brands, will join AMC as the vice president of growth strategy beginning Feb. 18. Copaken will be in charge of helping to grow the brand’s reach, starting with a push into the retail popcorn market.

Who is Ellen Copaken?

Copaken got her start as a marketing manager at Frito Lay in 2005, and then worked her way up to the position of senior marketing director of global brand innovation by 2012, according to LinkedIn,

.From there, she spent three years at Hostess Brands as vice president and general manager in the growth channels.

Since 2017, she’s been a managing director and partner at the consulting firm Sterling-Rice Group, with an emphasis on food and beverage, retail and household goods, launching dozens of new food and beverage products.

So with a resume like that, she has experience in getting people to buy snacks.

Aron called Copaken “an extremely important hire for us,” adding that “she has a superb track record in brand management and innovation at Frito-Lay, PepsiCo and Hostess Brands. Her executive ability combined with her significant grocery experience will be a vital asset to AMC as we explore and deliver on current and future opportunities, starting with our new popcorn initiative.”
    What Is This Popcorn Initiative All About?

Last fall, AMC declared that it would push into the retail popcorn industry with a four-pronged approach, offering the signature snack it’s been serving to moviegoers since the 1920s.
    • AMC Theaters Perfectly Popcorn will be available in kiosks, counters, and stores at select mall retail locations around the country.
    • The company will start delivering its popcorn, freshly popped in nearby theaters, through delivery-to-home services.
    • AMC’s popcorn will be available in “To Go” packages at its theaters for takeout or pickup, in case you want to grab something on your way out of the theater.
    • Finally, AMC is “also exploring opportunities to offer prepackaged and ready-to-pop microwaveable AMC Theatres Perfectly Popcorn, in supermarkets, convenience stores and other foodservice venues around the country.”

Now, everyone likes popcorn. It can be modified to be as low-calorie and healthy (light salt, vegan butter and a splash of lemon juice) or decadent (lots of butter and cheese, for starters) as you like. But why is AMC making an aggressive move into the snack food game?
    Why Is AMC Pushing Popcorn?

AMC has to find more ways to make money and this one is just its latest attempt to do that.

Ticket sales have been trending down since before the COVID-19 pandemic, as the movie-going audience has increasingly been trained to wait at home for smaller and medium films, only leaving the house big-budget franchise installments.

Even if audiences are interested in seeing a prestigious type film, they are well aware that they’ll usually hit streamers only a few months after they hit theaters, which has been the case with buzzed-about but underperforming films such as “The Last Duel” (now on HBO Max (T) - Get AT&T Inc. Report), “Nightmare Alley” (available on both Hulu and HBO Max) and Steven Spielberg’s remake of “West Side Story,” which didn’t exactly light the box office on fire in December but was just nominated for several Oscars and will hit Disney+ (DIS) - Get Walt Disney Company Report and HBO Max on March 2.

That’s great news for streaming services, which are always looking for ways to keep subscribers and get new ones. But it’s bad news for theater owners, which need people in seats.

The pandemic led to a box office drop of 81.4%, but even before that, AMC “had a reported net loss of $13.5 million in 2019, even as total revenue was up 2.4% to $1.44 billion from the year before.” The record-breaking success of “Spider-Man: No Way Home” and Aron’s plans to refinance AMC’s debt have bought it some time, but clearly the company needs to do something.

But will popcorn be enough to turn things around for AMC? Keep in mind that you can just buy a big tub of Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popcorn Kernels for less than $10 in most grocery stores and then just make it yourself, which has to be cheaper than ordering a freshly-popped batch from Seamless.

That said, ready-to-eat popcorn sales are strong, having seen a jump during the pandemic (people do need their snacks for movie night) and popping $1.7 billion in sales last year, an increase of 9.1% over one year ago, according to Convenience Store News. Its report did attribute some of the growth to “on-trend flavors such as sea salt, caramel and dark chocolate are on the rise,” so if AMC is really serious about this as an income-generator, it better plan to up its snack game before it hits the market.

The movie chain has hired a former Frito-Lay and Hostess executive in a move to push more corn.

Selling popcorn may cover the expense of running a kiosk, but it will never cover the expense of running a multi-plex.
    Of course, they can put the kiosk in the center of the lobby and let people serve themselves (like the soda fixtures). Might knock out a couple of minimum wage workers. I'm not sure what the profit margin on delivery food is, but even at a couple of bucks a bucket, that's chump change.
    They better hope some more internet stock freaks run up their stock value again.

Comment

There's no secret sauce to making popcorn. Coconut oil, salt and fresh kernels are all you need. Are people going to pay a premium many multiples more than what Orville Redenbacher costs to get AMC popcorn outside of an AMC theater? My guess is no for the same reason they don't pay $8 at AMC for a Coca-Cola to drink at home when they can get a 12 pack of Coke at Walmart and have change left over. It's a fools errand. Their money would be better spent lobbying Hollywood studios for longer release windows and joint promotions of tentpoles.

Comment

You can almost feel the desperation.

I get it, the theatrical industry is contracting fiercely, but this isn't going to help them.

Comment

Articles such as the above snark-fest are really irritating -- writing off the movie business when we've just come off one of the biggest successes of the past couple of decades. And the pandemic is still going on, despite government officials so worried about getting re-elected that they've decided to end it early rather than continuing to "follow the science."

But, one thing is interesting....here we've been, for 92 years (so far) with one screen. Endlessly lamenting the fact that we don't have two or three screens. But it turns out that in this "new" world of movies, one screen is not bad at all. There aren't that many movies anymore that do much business, so we can play the "cream of the crop" and we don't really ever go begging for something good or new (sometimes both) to play. Combine that with the fact that there's nothing much to do around here. In short, we're not getting rich but we're not bleeding money either. Maybe the future of the theater business is a horde of single screens in small podunk towns. (Actually two screens would be perfect so we could open all the new stuff on the break.)

Comment

If you're referring to my post yes it was snarky, but it's hard not to be as AMC's actions are the very definition of "putting a band aid on a broken leg". Box office revenue was high before the pandemic, but actual attendance has been dropping for years. Spiderman was a true phenomenon, but it is an aberration, and has shown no signs of leading a mass return of audiences. This year I think will be the one that really shows what the future holds for theaters, and I'm pretty sure I agree that the multiplex isn't it. Going to a massive, arena sized multiplex with twenty screens, blown speakers, misaligned projectors and sticky floors isn't going to cut it anymore. Smaller theaters that take the effort to make the movie going experience special and are run by people that love what they do and are able to work with lean profit margins have a much better chance of surviving. AMC can't really do that, as it's a huge corporation with a board of directors and publicly offered stock.

So instead, they are going to sell their popcorn, which I have a hard time believing will do much of anything to increase their revenue. Someone itching for theater popcorn can buy a $200 home popper, some coconut oil, some Flavacol, and some seeds and get 90% of the way there. And the second you make it 'microwaveable' it loses any relation to what they (and the rest of us) sell in our theaters, so I fail to see the point of that either.

it strikes me as just another ridiculous attempt by a large corporation to avoid dealing with the fact that their business model isn't sustainable any longer. It's hard for me to not be snarky with that because it's just so predictable. And there's more than a little bit of schadenfreude at work because AMC are, in my opinion, a huge part of why movies are such disposable commodities now.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Dent
              This year I think will be the one that really shows what the future holds for theaters, and I'm pretty sure I agree that the multiplex isn't it. Going to a massive, arena sized multiplex with twenty screens, blown speakers, misaligned projectors and sticky floors isn't going to cut it anymore. Smaller theaters that take the effort to make the movie going experience special and are run by people that love what they do and are able to work with lean profit margins have a much better chance of surviving. AMC can't really do that, as it's a huge corporation with a board of directors and publicly offered stock.
              Good theaters and bad theaters come in all varieties and location types. While there are some small, independent theater operators doing a great job there have been plenty of others running their operations in less than optimal ways.

Even if the business model of really large "megaplex" theaters is not sustainable anymore, a small single screen or twin location is no less vulnerable. The common denominator with both is dependence on Hollywood studios for product. All the major studios are owned by even bigger companies led by people with very short attention spans and very little patience.

I have a very strong feeling if enough major chains like AMC and Regal are wiped out the major movie studios may pull the plug on the entire theatrical release paradigm. There is strength in numbers. If hundreds of multiplex locations end up going into the dark what will be the motivation for major distributors to support any kind of exclusive theatrical release at all? I'm very skeptical that a small number of independent screens is going to be enough to convince major distributors to go through the trouble at all. Without enough theatrical screens in service the distributors will likely debut everything on home TV screens the same time as commercial cinemas. Too many movie-goers have a sort of casual like, not love, of commercial theaters. Price guides their decision making as much as anything. Too many will choose watching a movie at home for less money if that option is available to them.

Comment

The popcorn thing seems to me to be like a good brand licensing its name to someone else to sell a product. Like the RCA brand.

Harold

Comment

Harold H Sez: "The popcorn thing seems to me to be like a good brand
                  licensing its name to someone else to sell a product. Like the RCA brand."

So:
                  RcaPopcorn.jpg

Several years ago, I bought a set of dinner plates on e-bay that
                  came from the cafeteria in the old RCA plant at Camden New Jersey.
                  RCA_Plate.jpg
                  I don't know if they served popcorn there, although I've heard
                  that on the RCA menu, the frankfurters were called "Nipper Dogs"

Comment

I'd never seen RCA Popcorn! But, it makes sense with the sale of once great brands. We had a Polaroid VHS machine. Though I do see that Polaroid is still in the "instant film" business ( https://us.polaroid.com/). Several years ago, I read the book Instant ( https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Story.../dp/1616890851 ) about this history of Polaroid.

Anyway, the RCA plates look the same as the ones we used at breakfast at the KPH transmitter site in Bolinas CA ( https://hallikainen.org/gallery3/ind...5/KPH/IMG_0257 ). More photos at https://hallikainen.org/gallery3/ind...015/KPH?page=1 .

Popcorn looks like a competitive industry. Krogers has 291 choices on popcorn ( https://www.kroger.com/pl/popcorn/01...ent=all&page=1 ).

I guess we'll see how it goes...

Harold

Comment

> The RCA Popcorn Cup was just a faceous paste-up, in response to your comment.
                      I'm familiar with the old Bolinas, CA, KPH transmitter site. I drove up there with a friend abt
                      7 years ago to explore what was left of it. I bought the set of RCA Dinnerware from some
                      guy on the East Coast and he said they were from the old Camden RCA plant.
                      According to the date code on the bottom of the plate, my plates were made in 1967.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen View Post
                        I'd never seen RCA Popcorn! But, it makes sense with the sale of once great brands. We had a Polaroid VHS machine. Though I do see that Polaroid is still in the "instant film" business ( https://us.polaroid.com/). Several years ago, I read the book Instant ( https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Story.../dp/1616890851 ) about this history of Polaroid.
                        Polaroid should market a brand of self-popping, self heating instant popcorn. Hmmmm...

Comment

If you're referring to my post yes it was snarky
                          I was referring to the original article, specifically the headline. (That's why I used the word "article.") Making it sound like AMC is a dead theater chain walking. They were in FAR worse shape 18 months ago than they are today and the pandemic still isn't helping. Things might get better if the studios (one in particular) didn't keep actively trying to starve us all out.

I have a very strong feeling if enough major chains like AMC and Regal are wiped out the major movie studios may pull the plug on the entire theatrical release paradigm. There is strength in numbers. If hundreds of multiplex locations end up going into the dark what will be the motivation for major distributors to support any kind of exclusive theatrical release at all? I'm very skeptical that a small number of independent screens is going to be enough to convince major distributors to go through the trouble at all. Without enough theatrical screens in service the distributors will likely debut everything on home TV screens the same time as commercial cinemas.
                          And there's the problem in a nutshell. We will lose our exclusivity, which is the one thing that really drives people to spend the extra bucks. We did OK with the WB titles that were on HBO Max, but who knows how much better we'd have done if they'd had a six month window?

At least with the new broadband delivery coming, the studios can do away with physical deliveries eventually and then they won't have as much distribution cost as before. Not that that will change their minds on how to distribute, but at least they might keep doing it a bit longer.

I just wish there was somewhere we could go for mass-appeal, exclusive content, but that's the billion dollar question.
                          Last edited by Mike Blakesley; 02-13-2022, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Regal tried selling microwavable popcorn half a dozen years ago. It went over only slightly better than microwavable dog dung, at least here anyway. Sat on the counters for months until being deeply discounted twice and even then there wasn't any hurry for people to grab it. I think it ended up at like $1.50 for a box of 3

Comment

After watching the Super Bowl today it's easy to see where the studios' priorities lie. No ads for movies except one near the beginning for "The Lost City," which looks pretty good, and one later for "Marry Me" that mentioned theaters + Peacock, but then another one for "Marry Me" that only mentioned Peacock. (That means they spent $14 million dollars promoting "Marry Me." The mind reels.) All the other entertainment-related ads were for TV shows.

No movie ads from Disney but several about Disney Plus; nothing about The Batman, but a couple promoting HBO Max shows, and of course an ad from Netflix and a couple others for Peacock, not surprising since the Super Bowl was on NBC. It was discouraging.

Comment

Working...
                              X