Spider-man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider-man

3 weeks really,they sure make it rough on small town theater's.

Eternals was same, we took the movie.
    Our studio rep said James Bond was at least three weeks maybe four so we passed on that movie.
    We booked Spiderman.. Week one and two should be profitable and we hope to break even on week three.

Comment

With the huge buzz around Spider Man we took it despite the 3 week requirement. Hopefully it does well, but may be my last 3 week film if the results are poor.

However, it's predicted three day opening is around 190 to 250 million. So, this may pan out.
      Last edited by James Wyrembelski; 12-03-2021, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I'm not scared of 3 weeks anymore -- the biggest thing that helps us is putting the play-dates on the marquee. It spreads the crowd out. But we're pretty selective about what we'll give 3 weeks to.

The fact that some of the studios (cough Disney cough) will charge the same high percentage in week 7 as they do in week 1 drives some of the decisions. We didn't play Shang Chi due to their stupid policies and we'll probably miss Encanto for the same reason.

Speaking of Spider-Man..... has anyone gotten any one-sheets for that thing yet? We've gotten plenty for other movies, including recently Ghostbusters Afterlife; but even after three or four requests I have yet to get anything on Spidey. Not even a teaser.
        Last edited by Mike Blakesley; 12-04-2021, 11:41 PM.

Comment

3 weeks in 2019 didn't bother me at all. Unless, it was conflicting with something we would want to open next.

2021 3 weeks I hate. I'll do them, but begrudgingly.

Could sure use another Frozen II. I would have done 4 with that, but I remember moving on to the next for the sake of variety.

I find it odd that Shang Chi was a 2 week, but I had to have Black Widow and Eternals for 3. Maybe running Shang into Free Guy is what did it.

I received a bus shelter for Spider.....but no standard one sheets.

Comment

I have one.

It showed up by magic a few weeks ago along with the rest of my regular movie shipment.

I wonder what's going to happen with that sort of stuff now, if there's to be no more dcp's sent out on hard drives....

Comment

Spider-Man: Nobody Home is keeping The Matrix: Resuscitation off of most premium screens, at least at the theaters I've sampled.

It makes me wonder: Is Disney [Edit - oops, Sony.] enforcing its contracts with $pidey, or do exhibitor execs believe The Matrix will be a dud?

One exception I noticed: AMC's Winchester Promenade is running both titles in its Imax with Laser and Blue Aisle Light Shining Onscreen auditorium. (Spidey at 3:40 and 10:25/ Neo at 12:15 and 7:05)

In other news, early ticket sales look awfully light for Spielberg's West Side Story...
              Last edited by Geoff Jones; 12-06-2021, 01:17 PM.

Comment

One exception I noticed: AMC's Winchester Promenade is running both titles in its Imax with Laser and Blue Aisle Light Shining Onscreen auditorium. (Spidey at 3:40 and 10:25/ Neo at 12:15 and 7:05)
                Yes, but combined, it looks like AMC is giving Spider-Man 5 screens. Matrix has one and shares the Imax screen, but combined, it gets a complete day's worth of showtimes. The studios are likely satisfied with that and, if Matrix was to explode, I'd bet AMC could shoehorn it into a few extra screens here and there.

Comment

Is Disney enforcing its contracts with $pidey
                  Sony.

Comment

I don't suppose Disney has any say over what / how many screens a Sony movie gets, just because they (DIsney) own the Spider-Man character. Their contract with Sony only stipulates that the character must be used in a film every so often or the rights will revert... or that's how I understand it, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
                      I don't suppose Disney has any say over what / how many screens a Sony movie gets, just because they (DIsney) own the Spider-Man character. Their contract with Sony only stipulates that the character must be used in a film every so often or the rights will revert... or that's how I understand it, anyway.
                      Sony fully owns the movie rights to Spiderman, so they can pretty much do whatever they want with it as far as distributing. It does look like they're pulling a page from the Disney Marvel playbook in requiring three weeks though.

I don't think West Side Story is going to do all that well. Word around the water cooler is that nobody can figure out who the movie is actually FOR, and Disney is further shooting themselves in the foot by requiring a three week contract for it. We ended up passing on it as it would've prevented us from opening Sing 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
                        Speaking of Spider-Man..... has anyone gotten any one-sheets for that thing yet? We've gotten plenty for other movies, including recently Ghostbusters Afterlife; but even after three or four requests I have yet to get anything on Spidey. Not even a teaser.
                        We have not received a Spiderman poster yet. I got an email that said they where being shipped to theaters that have booked the movie.

Comment

That's nice to hear. We still haven't gotten any yet though, and I have emailed people at Sony 3x now and zero response from them, not even an "I'm sorry, we're out of posters." It's weird because usually their guy is very chatty and responsive to emails.

I'm really irritated about this though, because here we are opening the supposedly biggest movie of the year, and all we have is a 13x19 poster that I printed myself. It looks pathetic. I guess I'll print another one.

EDIT: Well hallelujah, Fed Ex just showed up with a couple of onesheets. Thanks Sony, your massive effort at advance promotion of this movie is really awesome.
                          Last edited by Mike Blakesley; 12-13-2021, 12:42 PM.

Comment

We never got one, even after I requested last week.

Isn't stopping people from showing up though. We had to boot Clifford last night and tonight so we could show Spidey on both screens.

Comment

People seem to be liking it well, so that's' good news for the later days. I think it's going to do really well next weekend.... our booker predicts that next Sunday will be one of our busiest Sundays ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X