Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMC to Add Onscreen Captions at Some Locations

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/20/b...ning-deaf.html

AMC Entertainment, the largest movie theater chain in the world, will offer open captioning at 240 locations in the United States, a move that the company’s chief executive described as “a real advance for those with hearing difficulties or where English is a second language.”

Movie theaters provide closed captioning through devices that some customers describe as inconvenient and prone to malfunctioning. Open captions, however, are displayed on the screen in a way similar to subtitles; everyone in the theater sees the same captions, on the same screen.

Advocates for the deaf and hard of hearing have long sought more and higher-quality captioning, but theater owners worry that people who aren’t deaf simply don’t like seeing captions at the movies.

“In some cases, putting open captions on the screen diminishes ticket sales for the movie,” said John Fithian, the president and chief executive of the National Association of Theatre Owners, although he noted that the evidence was mostly anecdotal. He said the industry, whose business has been battered by the pandemic, was studying the relationship between open captions and ticket sales.

Christian Vogler, a professor at Gallaudet University, a school in Washington that serves the deaf, said in an email, “Detractors of open captions often have argued that the wider hearing audience would revolt over them, or that these would be a losing business proposition for theaters.” He praised AMC’s move, which was announced last week, saying, “The fact that a large national chain has had a change of heart is significant, and may even open the floodgates for others to follow suit.”

Other major theater chains, including Regal Cinemas and Cinemark, did not respond to messages seeking comment, and AMC did not say what precipitated the company’s decision.
    But Mr. Fithian, whose group represents large chains and small theater owners alike, said the industry had been paying more attention to open captioning recently as advocates for the deaf and hard of hearing have voiced concerns about closed-captioning devices.

“AMC’s the first to go public with what they’re rolling out,” he said. “But this is all part of an industrywide effort to improve access by both making sure our closed-captioning systems are working, but also by expanding the number of voluntary open-caption shows across the country.”

The announcement brought some measure of hope to the deaf and the hard of hearing.

Megan Albertz, of South Florida, was at a brewery on Saturday where a captioned version of the 1995 Robin Williams movie “Jumanji” was playing in the background.

Ms. Albertz, 29, was born with profound hearing loss and realized, having previously seen “Jumanji” without captions, that she had originally misunderstood scenes or characters’ dialogue.

“Over the years, I’ve rewatched movies I had seen in theaters on various streaming platforms with captions, and I am continuously blown away with how much language or lines I missed,” she said in an email.

She called AMC’s decision a step toward “accessibility for all” but wanted the company and the industry to continue expanding open-caption options.
    In recent years, because of litigation, legislation and pressure from disability-rights advocates, the theater industry has made closed-captioning equipment more widely available. That equipment includes the Sony glasses used by Regal Cinemas and the Captiview device, which attaches to a theater seat’s cupholder and displays captions.

“These devices have their fans,” Dr. Vogler, of Gallaudet University, said, “but are also widely despised, due to both their propensity to cut out, get misconfigured, run out of battery, and their inferior usability and ergonomics compared to” open captioning.

AMC said that only select, clearly designated showtimes would feature open captioning and that the “vast majority” of its showtimes would still be offered with closed captioning.
    The company’s chief executive, Adam Aron, noted that the expansion was in time for Marvel’s “Eternals,” which is set to open on Nov. 5 and features Lauren Ridloff, an actress who has been deaf since birth and who plays the first deaf superhero in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

In an interview with The New York Times in August, Ms. Ridloff said most movie theaters were not accessible to the deaf, who are often viewed as an “afterthought.”
    “You have to use a special closed-captioning device to watch subtitling in a theater, and it’s a headache, because most of the time the devices don’t work,” she said. “Then you have to go back to the front desk and find somebody to help, and by the time they figure it out that it’s not working — that it’s not going to be subtitled at all — the movie’s halfway done.”

They're doing this in Boston right now with Dune. They actually have separate showtimes for the captioned version. No idea if it does any business, but it seems like a good use of extra screens if they don't have enough other movies to fill them.

Comment

Open captions were preferred before the current rules were adopted. A summary of the comments in the rulemaking that established the current closed caption requirements is at https://hallikainen.org/org/DojNprm/ . The links originally went to the actual comment, but the links apparently died with changes at the regulations.gov web site. This is a real problem with URLs. They are locators instead of identifiers, so they don't work when the document moves. Anyway, my summaries of all the comments are there.

Comment

I think always on open captions are the future of cinema. Tons of data showing that home watchers are increasingly using captions, even young people, all the time. I don't think it will hurt attendance at all, and maybe will increase it as more people (particularly older patrons) struggle to understand dialog in these weird modern mixes with often unintelligible dialogue for even the best of hearers.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Norwood View Post
          They're doing this in Boston right now with Dune. They actually have separate showtimes for the captioned version. No idea if it does any business, but it seems like a good use of extra screens if they don't have enough other movies to fill them.
          This may be in response to the reported problems with the sound mix for Dune. There are many reports of the dialogue being overwhelmed by the music and sound effects.

See this topic: http://www.film-tech.com/vbb/forum/f...4972-dune-2021

Comment

I think always on open captions are the future of cinema. Tons of data showing that home watchers are increasingly using captions, even young people, all the time.
            Might as well just bring back silent movies with intertitles, then. And I say this as a silent movie fan. It would be easier to make translated versions for foreign markets, too.

Comment

I for one will not watch a movie with captions it is distracting

Comment

Watching movies in a language that I don't understand with subtitles is no problem at all for me. In fact, after the first five minutes I kind of forget about the subtitles and just kind of read along without thinking about it. The subtitles kind of disappear.

But I don't like watching movies in a language that I do understand with subtitles because I can't not read them and that diverts my attention from the action. Somehow reading along with a language that I don't understand isn't particularly distracting but reading along at the same time someone is saying the same thing is really distracting. I think it's because I'm processing the dialog twice, both hearing it and reading it, and I run out of personal bandwidth or cpu.

Comment

Didn’t AMC try special show times for the autistic with the lights left on and the sound turned down a few years ago?

As to open captioning, I will NEVER pay money to see a movie with open captioning. Period. As to subtitles vs dubbed foreign language films, as a youth I preferred subtitles, but now I have (with rare exception) no desire to read a movie. It takes away from the visuals. If it is not dubbed, I pass.

Comment

One delegate at CinemaCon stated, during a meeting, that he thinks the industry will eventually go to all-captions all-the-time, due to these factors:

- It's going that way in other countries
                    - Lots of people (more all the time, apparently) run the captions on their home TVs all the time, so they're almost expecting it. I use the captions quite often at home (usually if I'm watching TV in bed while my wife sleeps, so I have the volume low... but some other times, too).
                    - To avoid further issues (lawsuits, etc.) with groups demanding inclusivity

I guess if the industry goes that way, I would be okay with it IF, and ONLY IF, television is also required to show captions all the time too. I mean, fair is fair.

Comment

Along similar lines, anybody know the current status of the VI track? I thought all VI tracks were supposed to be SMPTE by now, but most seem to be IOP. As we are set up for SMPTE not IOP it could some day mean something, though the one person who used the VI track when available hasn't been back since COVID.

Comment

The final nail in the coffin for the movie industry!

Now, everything can be just like it is at home, except for one key difference: Choice.

The reason why people stay at home to watch movies is because they get to choose what to watch, when to watch and how to watch. If people want captions, they can activate them on their TV. If they don't want captions, they can leave them deactivated.

Now, when people go to the movie theater, they will either have to watch captions when they don't want, not see captions when they want them or they will have to wait some arbitrary period of time until they can get what they want.

The best option for people to watch movies when, where and how they want will now be to stay home.

Comment

AMC Theatres® Launches Open Caption Program in 101 U.S. Markets

Company Release - 10/15/2021

While AMC is excited to offer open captioning for those of our guests who desire this format, the vast majority of showtimes at AMC will continue to be offered with closed captioning. Therefore, AMC will continue to have assisted listening devices available at all of its locations nationwide.
                          Source: https://investor.amctheatres.com/new...s/default.aspx

Comment

While I generally support efforts to help people with disabilities (I've been a member of a local AMBUCS civic club for over 25 years), I really do not at all support any notion of having captions displayed on screen for all shows. I don't mind a theater arranging special show times. But not on all shows.

I can't stand watching TV sets where the captions are turned on. Might as well have all the motion enhancement crap turned on and up to "high" setting for good measure. Captions turned on in the TV set is common problem when I go donate platelets and plasma at Oklahoma Blood Institute. Someone will have turned on the captions for the TV I'm watching and left the setting that way. I have to hunt through the menu with the TV remote to disable it (and do so one-handed since there is a needle drawing blood in the other arm). Every once in awhile YouTube will change settings and start displaying captions by default. I immediately disable it whether I'm watching a video on a PC, my iPad or phone. I can watch foreign language movies with subtitles. But I'm not going to pay first run ticket prices to watch a movie in a theater with captions displayed. What's next? Descriptive audio jumping out of the sound system for all shows too?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Henderson View Post
                              I can watch foreign language movies with subtitles.
                              Hey! That's how I learned to understand most of my foreign languages!
                              From fifteen years playing foreign movies with subtitles.

So, yes, I agree that there are times when subtitles are appropriate but, like you, there must be a choice whether to have them or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X